Your Movie 'Guilty Pleasures'

Discussion of programming on TCM.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Hi Everyone:

Don't get me wrong about the term 'guilty pleasure'. See the last line of my original post. I love to watch certain movies with nobody around simply to enjoy them with no distractions, like kids asking questions, someone coming in and saying "Are you watching that AGAIN!", or someone deriding the movie. I may know it's not that great, or intellectual, but it's my pleasure, and I don't want to be told I'm too old, or too smart for it. No embarrassment about it, just a wish to steep myself in my secret delights.

Anne
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

jondaris wrote:
Mr. Arkadin wrote:I also love lots of cult films like Carnival of Souls, Johnny Got His Gun, Faster Pussy Cat/BVD, Seconds, The Warriors, Bucket of Blood, Man Bites Dog, The Loved One, Marat Sade, Gates of Heaven, Werner Herzog Eats his Shoe, and other similar movies.
I've seen most of those, and they are all great. Everyone who has seen me post for any length of time knows I think BVD is the Best Movie Ever.

Are you familiar with Something Weird Video? I have a ton of those, with an emphasis on juvenile delinquent films. I can't resist a good JD flick.
Yeah, I'm familar with Something Weird. BVD is a great flick. The ending voiceover where they walk throught the field that turns into hilly terrain, then a stream, then rocks! Gotta be one of the best endings of all time. 8)

Peter O'Toole in My Favorite Year is another great individual performance in a so-so film. How he could have been denied the Oscar for that role in 82 was a horrible oversight!
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I loved My Favorite Year!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

My "guilty pleasures" come from a number 1960s comedies that I call "fluffies" because they are so light and inconsequential (to the critics, certainly). They include:

Penelope - Starring Natalie Wood. I adore her in this film, I think she's too hilarious for words and I wish she had done more screwball comedies. Lots of people really hate this movie. Not me!!

Come September - Rock Hudson, Gina Lollabrigida, Bobby Darin and Sandra Dee. It's filmed in Italy so that is enough to seal the deal. However, I love all the stars and I think it's a very funny comedy.

The "Tammy" movies, particularly those with Sandra Dee. In fact, I like just about all of Sandra's movies. She's one of those who always puts a smile on my face. Yes, I even have Doctor, You've Got to be Kidding recorded. But my all-time favorite with her is If A Man Answers. Premise: Wife "trains" husband to pay attention to her by treating him like a dog. Dog--as in canine. Yes, I do love this film---send me to padded cell! :lol:

And the Brigitte Bardot movies. Stupid, most of them, but I like the kooky French atomosphere and BB was such a doll.
moira finnie
Administrator

My Guilty Pleasures

Post by moira finnie »

Anything with Shirley Temple in it. I know, she makes some people's teeth hurt, but me--she just bowls me over and makes me smile, (and, yeah, shed a few tears too.)

Formulaic as her movies are: cute kid minus one or both parents(i.e. June Duprez, Ian Hunter) + mean woman (i.e. über-baddie Mary Nash) + kind, nubile female figure (i.e. Rochelle Hudson, Anita Louise, Alice Faye etc.) aided and abetted by stalwart/handsome young man (i.e. James Dunne, Randolph Scott, Richard Greene, John Beal) and in some cases, a gentle male from another class (Cesar Romero, Arthur Treacher, Bill Robinson) + one old coot who has his heart melted by the roll of credits (i.e. Lionel Barrymore, Guy Kibbee, Jean Hersholt, C. Aubrey Smith)=One happy viewer (i.e. me).
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Moira:

I've got your back on Shirley. She does the same for me. Just happy, happy, happy. Even when the sad comes, as it always does, it gets turned around quickly enough.

Anne
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Shirley does it for me, too. Whenever I need a pick-me-up, all she has to do is appear with that smile and my troubles melt away. At least for a few minutes.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
moira finnie
Administrator

One More Guilty Pleasure

Post by moira finnie »

Hey, thanks for voicing that Shirley Temple support. I've discovered that she can still enchant little girls (of all ages) & maybe a few discerning boys too.

Another guilty pleasure for me, 'cause the cheesiness of it all and the incorporation of at least some history and ancient myths are those terrible movies made about ancient Greece & Rome. The zenith of these movies are those by Klondike's buddy, Ray Harryhausen--if his fingerprints are on it, it's gonna grab me. I love the handcrafted individuality and humanity of each of the man's creations, especially in Jason and the Argonauts, The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, or Clash of the Titans. The nadir of these movies are the Steve Reeves "epics", but that rarely stops me from enjoying something about them. Maybe it's the feeling that the film is really taking me someplace I could never go?
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

Sue Sue Applegate wrote:Shirley does it for me, too. Whenever I need a pick-me-up, all she has to do is appear with that smile and my troubles melt away. At least for a few minutes.
Shirley does it for me, but not until considerably later in her career.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hi everyone. Each year at Christmas, our grade school always had a day at the movies, showing "Heidi" and "Five Little Peppers and How They Grew". I still have to have a "Heidi" fix at least 2 times a year...the last shot of her sitting at the picnic table, and that irresistable grin just does it for me!

Nancy

Has anyone else ever heard of the "Peppers" movie? Seems like the girl that played Clara in Heidi was the "star" of this one.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Nancy,
I didn't know that there was a Five Little Pepper and How They Grew movie! I had the book as a kid which dated from the era of WWI and had been my mother's as a child.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I can't remember much about the movie (it was kind of old when I saw it, and that's 50 some years ago. I do remember the kids had all kinds of troubles, were they orphaned? I'm almost positive the young actress in "Heidi" was the oldest sister in the 5 Peppers movie.

We also had documentaries now and then, and they were actually (as I recall, anyway) better than the ones shown as fillers on TCM. These would be on different countries, or farming in USA, or manufacturing.
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Just found a link at TCM for a synopsis:

http://www.tcmdb.com/title/title.jsp?stid=75058

Hope this comes thru for you, and Marsha Mae Jones (Klara) was apparently NOT in the movie. (as Bette Davis once said, "'Old Age is NOT for sissies."')
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

Anything with Hugh Grant in it.

CAN'T. GET. ENOUGH.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I have two relatively recent favorites that I like to watch on my own, without having to explain or apologize to anyone:

Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion
Connie and Carla

Both are female buddy movies; both are charming and unpretentious; and both are funny, undemanding, and entertaining.