The Two Headed Spy (1958)

moira finnie
Administrator

The Two Headed Spy (1958)

Post by moira finnie »

Very early this morning, as part of the Michael Caine day on TCM, The Two-Headed Spy (1958), directed by André de Toth popped up at 6am. It starred one of my more mysterious crushes, Jack Hawkins. Ever since glimpsing him being very naughty and betraying queen and country in The League of Gentlemen (1960) and suffering nobly in The Cruel Sea (1953) I've had a thing for ol' Jackson. Caine, for those who keep track of these things, shows up very briefly as a Gestapo member, (must've been those cold blue eyes that won him the role, eh?).
In this one, Hawkins is a German general who's under suspicion and his contact with the Allies is lovely '50s babe, Gia Scala as a German gal who seems to be a cross between real life German performers Zarah Leander and Sybille Schmitz, (neither of whom are known to have been spies), but may be based on Lala Anderson, who became famous for her recording of Lili Marlene.

The movie stretched credulity on several fronts, but there are some nice, doomed moments from Jack, particularly in the tense scene when he is almost caught. Alexander Knox plays a suspicious SS officer who has Hawkins' aide (Erik Schumann, who's rather stolid as the jealous Nazi loyalist) spying on the boss. All in all, interesting, especially since it claims to be factually based and, any Jack Hawkins is better than no Jack Hawkins. Thanks, TCM, for running this rarely broadcast film.

I'd never heard of this apparently fact-based story of Alexander Scotland, a British national whose exploits allegedly included being on the General Staff of the German Army during WWII. I haven't been able to find much about the real guy, except that a certain Lt. Col. Alexander Patterson Scotland was awarded a Bronze Star Medal and an O.B.E. from the King in Sept., 1947. You can read what little real info there is about the real guy at this spot and here. One would hope that since many of the WWII archives have been unlocked in the last decade, more info about this shadowy figure might emerge. Of course, it could be movie hype too.

I really have gotten to like the movies of director André de Toth in the last few years, particularly Ramrod (1947) and Pitfall (1948), (thanks to Klondike's generosity), though I can't say that the director's most famous film, 1953's House of Wax ever engaged me in any way.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I recorded this simply because of Toth (haven't had a chance to view yet). My alarm woke me up at 4:45am. As I got a disc loaded up, my wife hit the guide on the remote and said:

"What are you recording this for? It only shows one star!"

I had a hard time explaining that sometimes those "one star" films are the best ones! :wink: