Stars in My Crown

Lzcutter
Administrator

Stars in My Crown

Post by Lzcutter »

Okay,

I admit I am way behind in watching TCM movies that I have Tivo'd. Today I enjoyed "The Strawberry Blonde" and "Stars in My Crown".

I hadn't seen SiMC before and I think it was Arkadin who suggested that we all watch it. If it wasn't, I apologize. Thank you, though because due to that suggestion I tivo'd it and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Joel McCrea was wonderful as the Parson, Alan Hale was incredibly understated, (especially considering it was Alan Hale) with one of his sons being played by James Arness. The added bonus of Amanda Blake as the school teacher (so before Gunsmoke they had performed together) was fun.

I have loved Dean Stockwell as an actor for years especially for his turn as Al on tv's Quantum Leap. His friendship with Sam (played by Scott Bakula) was one of the best buddy relationships ever so it was great seeing him as a kid.

Loved the scene with the night riders and Uncle Famous and the Parson.
Glad the doctor learned his lesson.

Joel McCrea, like Randolph Scott (cue chorus) is one of the most underappreciated actors of his generation.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Glad you enjoyed it Lz. You guys have given me so many treasures it's nice to return the favor once in awhile. 8)
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Stars in My Crown

Post by movieman1957 »

Lzcutter wrote:
Joel McCrea, like Randolph Scott (cue chorus) is one of the most underappreciated actors of his generation.
Their careers seem to run parallel in a fashion. They started out doing regular pictures, dramas, comedies and end up almost exclusively in westerns.

McCrea is wonderful in "Palm Beach Story", "The More The Merrier" and others. (It's one of the reasons I made him Star of The Month in my schedule.) The same can be said for Scott in "My Favorite Wife." (I know his non western life wasn't as broad as McCrea's)

Both great guys.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
klondike

Post by klondike »

Concerning Stars in My Crown:

I've always felt that the scene following the disperal of the would-be lynch mob, where the camera pans back to reveal the bemused, rifle-totin' Hale, and his pack of armed & mounted sons, as a just-in-case rescue posse, was not only a throat-lumping scene of moral heroism, but arguably a very nice capstone to AH's robust career.
Was there e'er a sweeter grin of fraternal mischief anywhere in the constellation of Hollywood?
I'd wager not: the mold got broke when Al, Sr. was crafted, and I'd not be surprised if he swung the hammer! :wink:

Klondke