The Best U.S President

Chit-chat, current events
ken123

The Best U.S President

Post by ken123 »

I think the GW Bush is the worst in U.S. History, who are your nominees for the best. A second question - Who would you like to see as the next President ? :wink:
Ayres

Post by Ayres »

Someone who will pass legislation for enough gun control to make events like today's far less likely.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Determined people and criminals are not going to care about gun laws. It's a horrible tragedy. I have an acquaintance from my church that has a daughter at V Tech. (No word yet on her) but gun control laws won't fix this.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Ayres wrote:Someone who will pass legislation for enough gun control to make events like today's far less likely.
Amen !
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

movieman1957 wrote:Determined people and criminals are not going to care about gun laws. It's a horrible tragedy. I have an acquaintance from my church that has a daughter at V Tech. (No word yet on her) but gun control laws won't fix this.
I sincerely hope your friend's daughter is ok. For what it's worth I agree with you. On the way home from work I was listening to Ron Smith on WBAL, the only conservative talk show host I can stand. The callers were all blaming this tragedy on guns (or claiming that guns weren't the problem, video games, rap music, and who knows what else.

I was just saddened and stunned. Those poor kids, both the ones alive and the ones that were killed. My heart goes out to them and their families. It was really annoying me that so many were bent on seeing this horrible tragedy as a means of validating their personal agendas. All I wanted was to have some way of easing the pain for those involved.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Jon:

We got an email from the family that their children are fine. I usually listen to Ron too and he makes quite a convincing case about the futility of most gun laws.

Look at all the good the restrictive laws in DC has got them.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

movieman1957 wrote:Jon:

We got an email from the family that their children are fine. I usually listen to Ron too and he makes quite a convincing case about the futility of most gun laws.

Look at all the good the restrictive laws in DC has got them.
I really like Ron, even though I disagree with him about half the time. He's an old-fashioned conservative who relies on his ideas rather than character assassination to prove his points.

He also has principles and doesn't drink the kool-aid that's marked so much GOP rhetoric over the last 12 years. I really think that if Bush were caught molesting a 4 year old, Sean Hannity would be on the radio the next day telling everyone how the child had stolen cookies as a three year old and was asking for it anyway. Ron doesn't play that game, plus he's got a strong libertarian streak (as do I).

I told Ron in an email once that even though I'm a pretty strong liberal, I spend half the time cheering him on and half the time wanting to knock him upside the head. I really miss the days of civil debate with conservatives I like and respect, like William F. Buckley and James Kilpatrick.

Just because political debate is heated doesn't mean it has to be nasty. Much like classic movie message boards.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

About two hours ago I watched Rep. Jack Kingston ( R - Ga - on the Chris Mathews Show,with minds such as Kingston's making American Foreign aand Domestic Policy it is no wonder why this counrty is headed for the abyss. The topic being discussed was the Virginia Tech Tragedy, Mr. Kingston didn't think that it mattered how many rounds the killing weapon could fire. Bush and McCain said that politics should not be brought up at this time, and then endorsed the NRA position on Gun Control. :roll:
Dewey1960

Best US president?

Post by Dewey1960 »

Hi Ken -- Agreed that "Little Bush" is the worst. The best? My vote goes to Honest Abe Lincoln.
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

jondaris wrote:
movieman1957 wrote:The callers were all blaming this tragedy on guns (or claiming that guns weren't the problem, video games, rap music, and who knows what else.

I was just saddened and stunned. Those poor kids, both the ones alive and the ones that were killed. My heart goes out to them and their families. It was really annoying me that so many were bent on seeing this horrible tragedy as a means of validating their personal agendas. All I wanted was to have some way of easing the pain for those involved.
Well, it doesn't surprise me that people went right to their agendas rather than to the immediate problem of all of those families in pain and grief.

I hate to say it, but I have become very cynical about the American voting public who have become, once again, more concerned with the issue of 'right v. left' than 'right v. wrong'.

I've not read anything on this today. Hopefully the families are getting the assistance they need to deal with this horrific situation.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

My late wife adored FDR ! :wink:
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Gang,

I'd say, off hand since I don't know what they all did, that Honest Abe and FDR were the best.
I did like Harry Truman too because he was honest but don't know what he accomplished in the White House.

Personally, I liked Ike ( very nice man & a great general). I met him half a dozen times, since Mamie was a great friend of my grandmother, Nell (remember her??)......

Larry
ken123

Post by ken123 »

For a less than flattering portrait of Abe Lincoln please read " Forced Into Glory " by Lerone Bennett Jr,published by Johnson Publishing. I am sure that Amazon.com has it. In regard FDR the nuns that I had as teachers in grades 6 - 8 thought that he was too pink. :oops: