THE FLEET'S IN (1942)

moviemagz

THE FLEET'S IN (1942)

Post by moviemagz »

Anybody else love this Paramount musical from 1942 which starred Dorothy Lamour and William Holden and introduced Betty Hutton to feature films. A really great song score much of it written by the director Victor Schwertizinger. Shockingly, there were no Best Song nominees from such gems as

I Remember You
Tangerine
Arthur Murray Taught Me Dancing in a Hurry
The Fleet's In

AMC used to play this one quite often in the 1990's but since they have gotten more contemporary they never show old Paramount films.
drednm

Post by drednm »

good film... Betty Hutton was a peach-o-reno
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

The Fleet's In features a really wonderful score. I have a cassette recording of "I Remember You" that I believe I recorded off one of those AMC screenings. It's a beautiful rendition let by Dorothy Lamour. I wish someone would release a cd of Dot's screenwork. It'd be swell to have this, as well as her "Moon Flower" from The Road to Bali.

Thanks for reminding us about this tuneful flick.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hey, Jack/Moraldo, it's about time you showed up! :lol: :lol:

I have a question about "I Remember You". Was it also used in an Alan Ladd movie? I don't think I've ever seen "The Fleet's In", but that song haunts me. Every time I see the title, I start humming, and then it's like brain freeze...can't get it out of my head. The thing is, I always associate Alan Ladd with the song.

I think I should change my tag line to another quote by Bette Davis: "Old age ain't for sissies" :roll: :roll:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

knitwit45 wrote:Hey, Jack/Moraldo, it's about time you showed up! :lol: :lol:

I have a question about "I Remember You". Was it also used in an Alan Ladd movie? I don't think I've ever seen "The Fleet's In", but that song haunts me. Every time I see the title, I start humming, and then it's like brain freeze...can't get it out of my head. The thing is, I always associate Alan Ladd with the song.
Hey Knitty! "I Remember You" was featured in The Glass Key with Alan Ladd.

[Hey! Did you see Sex and the City? I thought of you when our favorite extra from Meet Me In St. Louis appeared in it!]
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

You're kidding! The lady is still working? That's fantastic! What part did she play? I haven't seen the movie, I will just to see our Lady In Blue!

Thanks Jack!!!
Nancy
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

knitwit45 wrote:You're kidding! The lady is still working? That's fantastic! What part did she play? I haven't seen the movie, I will just to see our Lady In Blue!
Well, I mislead you a little. But she is in it. Shall I tell you? It's not much of a spoiler but I'll warn those who don't want to know.

******SPOILER******

Oscar winner, Jennifer Hudson, plays "Louise" -- Carrie Bradshaw's personal assistant who'd just moved to NY from St. Louis. As a Christmas present, Louise gives Carrie the DVD of Meet Me in St. Louis. And on New Year's Eve, Carrie watches the scene that features our favorite extra.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

WELL PHOOEY!!!!! I thought maybe we had a hot lead.....I wonder if anyone out there who is seeing her again remembers who she is. I still watch all the old musicals, trying to find her.
moviemagz

Post by moviemagz »

Paramount owned most of the songs they used in their films so when one movie song was a hit it was not uncommon to hear it used in a later Paramount film (or two) as background music.

Just recently watched I MET HIM IN PARIS (a wildly overlooked comedy starring Claudette Colbert) and she and Melvyn Douglas are dancing on the dance floor to "Moonlight and Shadows", made famous the previous year by Dorothy Lamour in THE JUNGLE PRINCESS.