The Good News Thread

Chit-chat, current events
moira finnie
Administrator

The Good News Thread

Post by moira finnie »

Here's a spot to post anything, slight or big, that you come across to indicate to you that the world is NOT going to hell in a handbasket, as the phrase goes...

My first, admittedly trite observation:

The sun came up today.
The sun went down tonight.
The moon is 74% full this evening.
If we had a telescope on top of our imaginary SSO Tower we could see it like this:
klondike

Post by klondike »

I played with my dog, Flint, for 20 minutes after a tough day on the road, this afternoon.
Where would I be without that in my life?!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Last night I got to play pool and darts with two very good friends and I even won a few games.

I also, amazingly, won the TCM Programming Challenge #11. (Go figure.) Of course it helped that Lynn and Kyle submitted a schedule and were gracious enough to request no one vote for theirs to give someone else a chance to win.

Next...
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Congratulations, Chris! Lots of hard work, and a well-deserved "Atta-Boy!".

I saw an incredible picture this morning, driving to work. Mists hanging over ripe fields, framed by trees just starting to turn every color imaginable.

That may not seem like "good news" to some, but it made my day start with beauty.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Oh Nancy, don't you think any day that you notice the essential beauty on this earth in passing is better for it? I love the way the fields look now with a light frost on the grass, the stalks and the leaves in the morning.

WoW and congratulations on your win of the TCM Challenge, Chris! Hosannas and rose petals to be strewn in Chris' deserving path through the streets of TCM City! Remember Chris, that thou art mortal...
I particularly liked your choices for "We Can Fly" and "Time Travel" themes in your schedule, which can be seen in all its imaginative glory here about halfway down the page on the TCM message board.

I was very intrigued and impressed with each of the schedules that I saw, especially Kyle's theme of "Berlin After the War", Brian Donlevy as SotM, Filmlover's Aline MacMahon as SotM, Fedya's "You Don't Have To Be a Star (To Be in My Show)" featuring classic docs and docudramas, MattHelm's birthday tribute to F. Scott Fitzgerald, ILoveRayMilland's truest essential ever, Letter From an Unknown Woman, Ydobon's "Angel's Wings" and of course, Lynn's divine Character Actress Day! I can't wait to see if the TCM programmer is able to incorporate all of the great ideas submitted. Hats off to those participants. You guys and gals are remarkable.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

moirafinnie wrote: Remember Chris, that thou art mortal...
No one knows that better than me. :)

Thanks to both you and Nancy for the kind words. We sure did have some great schedules.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

You are SO welcome Chris!

and Klonnie, where would we be without our best friends? Isn't it great that no matter what the day brings, our pals are waiting eagerly for our return? Murphy keeps me sane! (there are conflicting opinions on this :shock: :shock: )
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

What a good idea this thread is.

I've done all my kids Christmas shopping today :D :D :D I know it's early but I found a shop with most things on a deal that the kids wanted. No more shops this side of Christmas, any other little bits will come via the internet.

I've persuaded the kids to part with the toys they don't play with. It was easy, the more room they make, the more toys Santa will bring. Three bags full, now we have a little room, now Santa can be generous :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Alison, I recently saw a lovely sign to hang on the kids door: Those who don't believe get underwear!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I like that sign, how true it is. How long do kids believe for these days? Libby has just turned 6 I'm hoping she'll believe for quite a while yet. I can almost believe myself
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
klondike

Post by klondike »

Last night, bathed in the bright, creamy light of a three-quarter waxing moon, my wife & I sat up late, out on our porch, listening to the crickets (after the Boston-Montreal Amtrak run went by), and chatted about all the weddings and funerals we'd attended this year, and actually got around, eventually, to having a pleasant, dry-eyed conversation about our late daughter.
We'd not been able to do that before; and for the arrival of that, in that manner, I am very grateful.
This morning we awoke to a phone call bearing the news that my mother-in-law had suffered a debilitating stroke in the wee hours, and was in the local ECU over on the seacoast; thirty minutes later, before heading out to go see her mom, my Mrs. gave me a long, warm hug, and said she was glad for our porch talk last night, that the memory gave her strength.
She told me how grateful she was for my being the rock in her life.
Foolish girl, doesn't she know by now that the exact opposite is true?
Regardless, I was happy for her words; they were as honey to my heart.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Although her 100th birthday was last month, we threw a wing-ding birthday party for my Mother-in-law, Anastasia, this weekend (had to delay the party because, a couple weeks before her birthday, she fell and broke her pelvis and, golly, it took her four days before she was up and about). Over 120 attendees -- family from Canada, Florida, and even the Chicago suburbs, plus two priests.

Personal highlight: The oldest grandchild (Ann, nee Anastasia), in her 40s, and the youngest grandchild (our Stacey, nee Anastasia -- Greeks are so creative with names within a family), almost 21, spoke on behalf of the 15 grandchildren (11 of whom have children).

Our Stacey: When I was little and Mom and Dad were both off working, Grandma would take care of me and she would make bread and let me help. It was the best bread in the world. I love you, Grandma.

Not a dry eye in the house.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
klondike

Post by klondike »

This morning, after we spent 45 minutes on the phone with our very own personally-assigned IRS representative, arguing about whether it was justifiable for him to leave us our eyelids, in case we might deserve the privilege of blinking, occasionally, in the future, Mrs. Klondike went to work with the leftovers & seasonings in the house, and built this incredible, autumnal soup, with a deep, hearty, simple flavor somehow redolent of a farmstead root-cellar after the first hard frost.
A small thing, of itself, but I could feel it settling my hornets-nest mindset, and calming the trip-hammer agitation of my heart; sometimes, ya know, you don't need so much a cure from out of nowhere, but rather just a quiet place to get your wind back.
And for that principle of life, and for the soup, I am truly grateful!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I am part of the class reunion committee for our umpteenth reunion. We have become really close friends, and try to gather on the off years at least 3 or 4 times for dinner. One of the fellas (who was my secret heartthrob lo those many years ago) was not able to attend the last dinner, on Thursday past. He had to go in for tests, to prevent a recurrence of heart problems. He emailed me this morning, with wonderful news. A stint was inserted in one artery, all others were clear, and his cholesterol levels are very good. What a blessing to start off our Thanksgiving Season.

Klonnie, would your lovely bride share her recipe/ingredients with those of us who are salivating for some home-made goodness?

Nancy
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Oh, Nancy,
I just hate it when my contemporaries show signs of mortality. Having lost a sister-in-law in the last few years who was only in her early '50s (leaving 3 young children and an estranged father behind, unfortunately), any time you hear of someone beating the odds, it starts to feel like a victory for life. I hope that your reunion will be mirth filled.

Hey, Klonnie,
The IRS just called. They want to know where you got the idea that you could deduct all those dogs around your house as dependents. And, oh, yeah--when can they expect that fedex containing your eyelids to arrive?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks