Pencil Art

Post your Classic Film-related art here!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I hope you all remember Danny. She is bobhopefan1940. Yesterday she included me in a group with which she shared a new piece of her work. She agreed to let me put it her as I thought everyone would enjoy it.

Warren William:

Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Chris,
Please tell Bobhopefan that her drawing of Warren William is absolutely splendid. She should have lived in the studio era and used her talent to draw the greats (and near greats) from life.
Thanks,
moira
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
bobhopefan1940

Post by bobhopefan1940 »

8) I just want to say thank you to Chris for posting my art. You're such a buddy. :wink:

I'm so sorry I haven't been around much here, but I'm glad people are still enjoying this thread. I went back through and read some of the replies I missed and I'm so flattered. My art is substandard but you guys make me feel marvelous. So thank you for that.

And thanks Moira, I'm glad you like Mr. William. Is he not gloriously mischievous? :oops: I showed this drawing to someone the other day and they asked, "Is that someone you know?" I said, "I wish!"

Danny
"How strange when an illusion dies. It's as though you've lost a child." --Judy Garland
"To help a friend in need is easy, but to give him your time is not always opportune." --Charlie Chaplin
"Dumb show is best for screen people, if they must appear in public." --Buster Keaton
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

Substandard is not a word that should be within a hundred miles of your artwork, Danny. Every artist sees the imperfections that no one else would find in a million years.

You deserve every accolade that you've received here... and anywhere else.
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Your drawings continue to be awesome :shock: Danny. It's good to see you back! :D
myrnaloyisdope

Post by myrnaloyisdope »

That Warren William drawing is astonishingly good. Wow.
"Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?" - The Magnetic Fields
bobhopefan1940

Post by bobhopefan1940 »

:oops: All of you guys are too much, but thank you.

And I just got hi-speed net at home, maybe you will see me around a little more :wink:
"How strange when an illusion dies. It's as though you've lost a child." --Judy Garland
"To help a friend in need is easy, but to give him your time is not always opportune." --Charlie Chaplin
"Dumb show is best for screen people, if they must appear in public." --Buster Keaton
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi D! Good to see you and your work just keeps getting better and better, Danny. (and it already started from great).
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
bobhopefan1940

Post by bobhopefan1940 »

MissGoddess wrote:Hi D! Good to see you and your work just keeps getting better and better, Danny. (and it already started from great).
MissG! Long time, eh? I hope you have been well. As always, thanks for dropping in and taking the time to view my art ( and for your kindest comments ). I've missed talking with you.

Danny
CoffeeDan

The eyes have it . . .

Post by CoffeeDan »

Danny! Good to see you back! And you really "nailed" Warren William -- great job!

I've meant to say this before, but I think one of the strengths of your work is that you get the eyes right. I took a course in cartooning and caricature some years ago, and I found through trial and error that when I got a subject's eyes right, everything else fell into line. That's the strength of your picture of William Powell earlier in this thread. I borrowed a copy of The Thin Man Collection from a friend recently, and in looking at the cover art, I was surprised how much the original ad artists "missed" capturing Powell. And it was always the eyes. But you succeeded where they failed, and that attention to the eyes is what makes your work so good.

I may be gushing, but please don't stop drawing, posting, and finding outlets for your work. You have a real gift -- don't hide it under a bushel!
bobhopefan1940

Re: The eyes have it . . .

Post by bobhopefan1940 »

CoffeeDan wrote: I borrowed a copy of The Thin Man Collection from a friend recently, and in looking at the cover art, I was surprised how much the original ad artists "missed" capturing Powell. And it was always the eyes.
Hey Dan!

You know, you are so sweet. Thank you. I'm glad you can find some positives in the Powell drawing; its so old! But I know what you are saying. I start with the outline and then head straight for the eyes... Not saying that I always get them right, but only once I am satisfied with them can I move on to the rest of the portrait.

But enough about me! Can we post other people's art in here? I went and looked up the album art you referred to, Dan, and I see exactly what you mean. I'm particularly impressed with this original portrait add for Adolphe Menjou --

I'm continually amazed at this type of portrait... The simplicity kills me. Yet the subject is captured with unbelievable quality. This takes skill. This takes vision.

Hey, and Menjou can talk in five different languages? Who knew!

Thanks for gushing, Dan :wink:
Danny
metsfan

Re: Pencil Art

Post by metsfan »

Danny, your drawings never cease to amaze me. Keep up the good work and may you always be inspired. Take care!