movieman1957
Administrator

TCM January 2009 Schedule

Post by movieman1957 »

Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

There is one film I noticed on the schedule, a very rare Borzage which I have never seen:
No Greater Glory (1934) on Jan 12 at 8pm.

Something not to be missed! :wink:
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I love the two Oscar Micheaux films (Within our Gates [1920], Symbol of the Unconquered [1921]) and am glad TCM is showing them. I have not seen Gates in over 5 years on TCM, and I think Unconquered will be making its debut.

Tons of other great premiers. January will be a busy month!
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

Well, I know the world end is coming near, on January 3, 2009 to be exact, TCM is showing:

4:30 AM Kansas City Bomber (1972)
A roller-derby queen fights off jealous rivals and amorous men. Cast: Raquel Welch, Kevin McCarthy, Helena Kallianiotes. Dir: Jerold Freedman. C-99 mins, TV-14, Letterbox Format
\ :lol:
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Interesting mix for January, with a lot more post-1950s stuff than ever before. As Mr. A pointed out on 1/2 in the morning TCM is showing three Oscar Micheax films, two of which are silents. I'm sure many of you will have your favorites to point out. Here are some of mine:

Jan 2 - Also on this date, the later morning offers several Bogart filmsl At 11:45 AM, is Swing Your Lady (1938). Don't know it, but I like the description: "A wrestling promoter stranded in the South pits his star grappler against a lady blacksmith." Besides Bogart, it features the lovely Louise Fazenda, who we don't see often enough.

Jan 3 - The riveting Cold War drama Fail Safe (1964) at 12 noon, followed by the equally riveting Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) at 2:00 PM. Don't forget to check under the beds.

Jan 4 - At 2:00 PM, the 1960s equivalent of Dawson's Creek, Susan Slade (1961). We ate this stuff up when I was a lass. This one stars the dreamy Troy Donahue, the perky Brooklynite Connie Stevens, and Dorothy McGuire.

Jan 7 - An interesting day. Early on, beginning at 7:45 AM, two versions of the same play. First Craig's Wife (1936), with Rosalind Russell as the selfish Harriet, and then Harriet Craig (1950), with Joan Crawford playing the woman who loves material things more than people. I will expect your "compare and contrast" essays on my desk by 4 PM. (My money's on Crawford, but you decide for yourselves.)

The same day at 2:30 PM we can see or record Too Many Husbands (1940). This one is really, really funny, very well acted, and quite naughty. It stars Jean Arthur, Fred MacMurray and Melvyn Douglas. At last, a movie I actually like Fred MacMurray in! Now, later, at 2:00 AM, TCM is running one called Three For The Show (1955), which purports to be a remake of Too Many Husbands. This one features Betty Grable and Marge and Gower Champion. I suppose it's a dancing version of the former, but that star line-up seems to be too many wives, not husbands.

Jan 8 - TCM joins us in celebrating Elvis' birthday, with an Elvis-fest until early evening, ending with a docu called Elvis on Tour (1972).

Jan 13 - A daytime of "Maisie" movies with the beautiful Ann Sothern, who knew her way around a wisecrack.

Continued . . . . . .
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

More for January:

Jan 14 - Today, a daytime of Myrna Loy and prizefighter flicks. At 8:45 AM take a look at The Prizefighter And The Lady (1933). A very entertaining comedy-drama-musical starring Max Baer, along with Loy and Walter Huston. Baer is quite good, and he dances, too.

Jan 15 - At 2:30 PM the excellent interview that RO conducted with some Classic Hollywood child stars. Then at 4:00 PM, Margaret O'Brien and Dean Stockwell star in the 1949 version of The Secret Garden. Very good.

Jan. 17 - One of my very favorite noirs, The Big Clock (1948) at 10:00 AM. If you've already seen it too many times, this time pay attention to John Farrow's stylish and seamless direction, as well as the skillful lighting and cinematography. It's a work of art. And, of course, don't miss the cuddly Harry Morgan as a sinister and silent hitman.

Jan 19 - Racism rears its ugly head in cinema today. Among the offerings, beginning at 8:00 PM we can see No Way Out (1950) with a scary Richard Widmark; then A Soldier's Story (1984) with a scary Adolph Caesar, and Odds Against Tomorrow (1959), with Lisa's dad being scary (but he's only pretending). (In Soldier's Story, Howard E. Rollins does a great imitation of Sidney Poitier. Watch it and see what I mean.)

Jan 22 - Is there a SOTM this month? It's not clear from this listing who it is, but there seem to be a whole lot more Ann Sothern movies than usual. More flirting and wisecracking in Panama Hattie (1942) at 1:30 PM. At 6:15, Sothern is joined by Margaret Sullavan and Joan Blondell in a tale of WWII survival, Cry Havoc (1943).

Jan 25 - An odd bit of programming. Late night, the French New Wave classic Jules and Jim (1962), sandwiched between a Harold Lloyd comedy and the "locked up abroad" drama Midnight Express. Something for everyone, courtesy of TCM.

Jan 27 - Huh? You haven't seen Orson Welles' The Trial (1963) yet? Now's your chance, at 6:00 PM - a really good filming of a difficult concept, post-Expressionist style, and my fave Tony Perkins is spot on as Josef K.

For a complete change of pace, stay up to see Little Lord Fauntleroy (1936) at 4:00 AM. Very nicely done, and Freddie Bartholomew is such a little mensch.

Jan 30 - It's the Super Bowl weekend (I think it's on Feb. 1 next year). TCM is giving us a daytime of football, collegiate and otherwise. A minor collegiate football movie called Huddle (1932) is being broadcast at 7:45 AM. Its distinctiveness stems from its having Ramon Novarro as its star. He's very sweet and sexy - a sort of precursor to Desi Arnaz. The gorgeous Madge Evans co-stars, and Una Merkel adds some sass.
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

rudyfan wrote:Well, I know the world end is coming near, on January 3, 2009 to be exact, TCM is showing:

4:30 AM Kansas City Bomber (1972)
A roller-derby queen fights off jealous rivals and amorous men. Cast: Raquel Welch, Kevin McCarthy, Helena Kallianiotes. Dir: Jerold Freedman. C-99 mins, TV-14, Letterbox Format
\ :lol:
Of her films that I've seen, this is Raquel Welch's best performance. Take from that what you will.

I just wish they'd have scheduled Unholy Rollers (1972) as the first feature that night.

-Stephen
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Maybe it's just me, but the schedule seemed to start extraordinarily strong and then fade out. Probably just because January 2 got me excited with films by Micheaux, Leisen, Ray, Boetticher and Lang.

But the star in its crown is January 27 with the impossible-to-see-too-often STARS IN MY CROWN.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

On first glance, I wasn't that impressed.

I scanned over the schedule specifically looking for reasons to keep my cable in the coming year and I saw no reason to keep paying $60 or more a month just to keep TCM. Most of the programs that looked good to me I'd either recorded in earlier months or else acquired through a DVD purchase. And added to that, I'm still waist deep in DVDs that I need to view - both film acquisitions from various sources and seasons of TV on DVD - so I'm in no way hurting for entertainment.

If Universal launches a film network with early Paramount and Universal classics, or if AMC's programming rebounds to what it once was (and without commercials), I may once again become convinced to keep the cable or get a satellite. Until then, I'm ready to bid those bills adieu.