29. Mary Astor
30. Buster Keaton
31. Sean Connery
Joseph Goodheart
moira finnie
Administrator

Summer Under the Stars

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks for posting this Mongo! I'm glad to see that my fellow birthday boy, Peter O'Toole has a day in his honor on August 2nd this year! I hope that TCM will be showing the restored print of Becket (1964) that I'll be seeing this Friday, May 11th at the Eastman Theatre in Rochester, NY. I'm pretty psyched, since I've never seen O'Toole or Richard Burton on the big screen and the new print was just finished by the Academy Film Archives. This is all pretty pricey, but I hope worth it.
JulieMarch4th

Post by JulieMarch4th »

I think the lineup this year looks great -- a lot of actors that are not highlighted that often on TCM. I may have to break down and by a DVD recorder (the tape situation is getting pretty ridiculous!)

Julie
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

It was my pleasure, Moira.
For me, there are some goodies in the mix, especially Joan Crawford in "Autumn Leaves" (haven't seen it in ages) and "Harriet Craig".
Good to see Joan Bennett and Dana Andrews get a day of their own.
Been waiting to catch Maureen O'Hara in "The Long Gray Line" again, and in "Bagdad".
Also happy about Ann Miller and of course Rosalind Russell, as the fabulous "Auntie Mame".
And how about Roy Rogers? What a surprise.

No doubt I'll be under the stars with TCM this summer.
Joseph Goodheart
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

A nice, fairly eclectic list! Hopefully they'll show THE BLUE DAHLIA on Alan Ladd'd day; Brod Crawford and Ernie Borgnine--WOW!! And I agree, what a cool surprise with Roy Rogers! Thanks for the post, Mongo!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

There is a link at TCM for the August schedule. Check under General Discussions.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

Wow! Great list!

A couple I'm not too excited about...but for the most part I'm quite pleased.

And I'm sure there is SOMEONE out there who cares about an entire day of Elvis films. :lol:
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

>And I'm sure there is SOMEONE out there who cares about an entire day of Elvis films.

That would not be me, unless of course they choose to run VIVA LAS VEGAS six consecutive times.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Dewey1960 wrote:>And I'm sure there is SOMEONE out there who cares about an entire day of Elvis films.

That would not be me, unless of course they choose to run VIVA LAS VEGAS six consecutive times.
I could do without an Elvis Day also. :wink:
moira finnie
Administrator

August Schedule Link

Post by moira finnie »

Hey, maybe I don't know the secret handshake or something, but sometimes I get to the August schedule and other times, I just see July.

Anyway, here's the link that will periodically take you to the August 2007 Summer Under the Stars schedule:
http://www.tcm.com/schedule/month/?cid= ... d=8/1/2007
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

I'm here for ya, Elvis. I just wish that "King Creole", "Loving You", and "Blue Hawaii" were playing that day.
Joseph Goodheart
moira finnie
Administrator

Becket (1964)

Post by moira finnie »

Wow! I saw the restored version of Becket (1964) yesterday at the Dryden Theatre at the George Eastman House in Rochester, NY. What a beautiful print. Having only seen this on the tube as a kid, enormous amounts of the subtext were completely lost on me, though being a sucker for pageantry and history from the day I was born, it was great then--and better now.

Lovely color cinematography by the subtle Geoffrey Unsworth, and probably, alas, one of the last times Richard Burton really tried to play a role as a human being instead of being a star. Peter O'Toole gave a good performance as a man unconscious of the full consequences of power as a younger Henry II. John Gielgud managed to blend worldliness, spiritual awareness and shrewdness in a small role as a bemused and observant King Louis of France.

I see now that TCM will be showing Becket again on Aug. 2nd at 5pm eastern, just after The Night of the Generals (1967) at 2:30pm, which has O'Toole in a small but significant role as a psychotic Nazi general who's being prosecuted for murder in the middle of WWII's slaughter. It may not sound like everyone's cup of tea, but if you like O'Toole, Omar Sharif, and some very good supporting actors, such as Tom Courtney, this might be of interest.

I can't believe they're showing Rosebud, which is a real turkey, though the Middle Eastern terrorism plot is all too timely. I've never seen Brotherly Love, but remember reading that it was condemned by the Legion of Decency when it came out due to the incestuous storyline. It'll probably seem like an after school special now. Here's the rest of O'Toole's day on the 2nd of August.:

5:15 AM Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1969)
8:00 AM Man of La Mancha (1972)
10:30 AM Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
2:30 PM The Night of the Generals (1967)
5:00 PM Becket (1964)
7:45 PM Lord Jim (1965)
10:30 PM Rosebud (1975}
1:00 AM Brotherly Love (1970)

Hey, they managed to give The Lion in Winter a rest for once. Some of these films might more charitably be ranked as "interesting failures", and I'm sure many would love to see The Ruling Class and My Favorite Year included, but I'm grateful that such rarities as Becket & Night of the Generals are popping up again. Thanks, TCM!
Last edited by moira finnie on May 12th, 2007, 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Moira,
I haven't seen NIGHT of the GENERALS in almost twenty years.Thank You for the heads up. 8)