ENOUGH!!!

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
klondike

Post by klondike »

- - - - - - - - ABSOLUTE PROOF POSITIVE - - - - - - - -

. . . . . that the Right Man is headed for the Whitehouse !!

[youtube][/youtube]
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

We should always remember that democracy is not a spectator sport.

We the people will have to work with Obama and our government (because it is ours, regardless of the party affiliation on our ballots) to be sure that we keep that hope alive and that the change we want is the one we get.

I think he is going to be a transformational president but it is on all of us to engage once again in our government and not just sit back and say "It's not up to me."

The theme of the Inauguration is going to be "A new birth of freedom" in honor of Lincoln's 200th birthday.

The line is from Lincoln's famous "Gettysburg Address":

"that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

We each have to reach across the divide and engage one another to ensure that this new burst of freedom and that our government does not perish on our watch.

Men and women have died to ensure this moment and it is up to all of us as Americans to continue to carry the torch towards the better tomorrow.

Working together can't be that difficult, can it?
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

I totally agree that we must work together. In these times of crisis, I don't think there will be any problem in that. I think back to the horrific days of 9/11, and how wonderful New Yorkers were. We all want our great nation to get back on it's feet. McCain has said that he will work with the new government, and I believe him because he has worked across party lines before. I hope that everyone wants what's best for the nation, and that will mean putting aside differences and working together.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Dear Lynn,

You could not have quoted better words than Lincoln's, because at this moment in our history, we are as nearly divided as we were when he spoke them some 140 years ago. Let's hope that a new day is really dawning for us and for everyone that chooses to live his life in peace.

As always,

Hollis
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Hey Klonnie,

How do you find these things? You've got way too much time on your hands!

As always,

Hollis
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I'm afraid I have to disdagree with one item you mentioned, that is expecting McCain to aid and assist. He has proven that:

1. He is a liar

2. He has no backbone or spine

3. He cannot be trusted

All the media praised him for stopping that lady when she said Obama was an Arab who scared her. If McCain and his backers had not started the rumor in the first place, the idea would not have come up. He and Sarah called Obama a terrorist, they claimed he hung out with known terrorists. McCain said he wanted a clean campaign, but hired known trouble-makers to do his advertising work, and agreed to the horrible things they said. I for one don't want him anywhere near Obama or his cabinet, he is too apt to twist everything around to lies and leak baloney to the media.

I'm sorry but the man is a wretched, dirty fighter, let him go back to his home state and play with his grandkids.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Anne you are entitled to your opinion and I respect it. But if we are all to come together to help our country, the constant in fighting must end. We are all Americans. I think everyone realizes that including the Republicans. I'm willing to put the election aside and move forward. Obama says that he is willing to work with everyone in a bipartisan way, and that means that he wants his supporters to do the same. But that can't happen if we constantly cling to what went on during the campaign. I mean your guy won, so those smears didn't work any way, did they? All elections are nasty, things get said from both sides that aren't true if you fact check them, which I did. It's part of the process in this country. I too wish all campaigns were run in a civil manner, but for the most part they aren't. But it's all over now. This will be the last time I rehash all this.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081108/pl_ ... election_8
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

silentscreen wrote:Anne you are entitled to your opinion and I respect it. But if we are all to come together to help our country, the constant in fighting must end. We are all Americans. I think everyone realizes that including the Republicans. I'm willing to put the election aside and move forward.
That pretty much seems to be the GOP line right now. Now the Dems have reamed them hard, it's time let bygones be bygones and rule in a bipartisan way.

Too bad that after the 2004 election where the Republicans won hands down, we heard this:
Once the minority of House and Senate are comfortable in their minority status, they will have no problem socializing with the Republicans. Any farmer will tell you that certain animals run around and are unpleasant, but when they've been fixed, then they are happy and sedate. They are contented and cheerful. They don't go around peeing on the furniture and such. -- Grover Norquist
So to hell with them, to hell with torture, to hell with ignoring the fact that poor people died in Katrina, to hell with ignoring Iraqi children dying at the hands of our foreign policy.

There may be Democrats willing to forgive and forget. But don't count me among them. There are people who vote Republican whom I personally respect and admire, but their leadership can burn in hell for all I care.
klondike

Post by klondike »

jondaris wrote: There are people who vote Republican whom I personally respect and admire, but their leadership can burn in hell for all I care.
Well worded, and very succinctly said, Jon; trim it enough to fit on a bumper sticker, and I'll sure buy one from ya!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Silent Screen:

I totally agree with you, there are some Republicans I admire and respect and hope they will assist in finding solutions to our problems. However, if you re-read my post, you will see I did not generalize my wording in any way, shape or form. . . . I spoke about John McCain only. I recall on a Friday he claimed he wanted a clean campaign, and later that night he hired the ad agency I mentioned. He has proven he cannot be trusted and I don't want him near any information which he can use to undermine any of Obama's plans.

But also as Jon said, there are many Republicans I cannot forgive whose lies and treachery got us into the Iraqi war, ruined our economy, and so many other things, not the least being to fix the 2004 election so that moron was re-elected for another 4 years to wreck more havoc.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I stopped by my former State office in Chicago today to chat with my former administrative assistant. Her first words to me:

I remember you coming back from Springfield a few years ago and saying that there is a new black State Senator that is inspiring to listen to and that I should watch him because he's going places. He sure is!

Does that make up for my prediction that McGovern would beat Nixon?
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Dearv Anne,

The rumors you attributed to Sen McCain were actually begun by the Clinton election machine. That is a matter of public record and comes straight from her own campaign manager's mouth. Granted, McCain, for all his past glory, has made plenty of mistakes. Obama will most certainly make his share as well. We can only hope that they're kept to a minimum. As far as McCain having no backbone or spine, (which is redundant in that they are both the same thing) I don't think I've ever heard a more ridiculous comment on these boards. For all the favor he curried with his captors in Hanoi by allowing that his father was in fact an Admiral, he did what he had to do merely to survive. I hope that you and the rest of the American populace has a mere fraction of the fortitude that he has displayed over the course of his life. Before posting here again, please get your facts straight! This isn't a movie thread where opinion is the primary ingredient. What you stated was in fact that, opinion. Qualify your statements as such. Don't try and pass them off as facts when it's patently obvious that you don't know what you're talking about!

With all due respect,

Hollis

p.s. Hitler ruled through fear and fear alone. The only reason he was able to grab the attention of the crowds the way he did was that Germany was in the throes of a depression that would have made our own Great Depression seem like a stroll in the park. To wit, 20 million Reichsmarks for a single loaf of bread. What choice did the people have but to listen to the rantings of a madman who promised them what they hadn't known for far too long? Don't forget that all great orators, with the notable exceptions of Abraham Lincoln and FDR, had professional speech writers to prepare their addresses for them, and Obama is no exception. Let's see how a 1st term Senator who basically abandoned his own constituency after a mere two years of service fares as our Commander in Chief. It's hard not to look good by comparison when compared with the 8 years of W's "leadership." But don't be surprised if he falls flat on his face.
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

They might not have been fully aware of what they were going to choose, and of course they couldn't predict the future, but the knowledge of his views on things like anti-semitism were available. If they didn't take it in, then they made the choice to be voluntarily ignorant, just as the people who don't vote in today's elections make the choice to be silent. The memory of the SA street thugs ought to have been fresh in people's minds as well, they could have known what they were choosing then.

But according to what I have read, there had been so many power shifts in such a short time that people didn't think Hitler was there to stay. Many also explained away the violence and anti-semitism as "birth pangs" of the new regime. In the early 1930's, Europe's history of democracy was very short. Prussia had built it's power on its military, so the militaristic culture had already been established there for many decades. It was not so strange for people then to consider something other than democracy as a viable alternative. You are probably right in that Hitler promised people what they hadn't had for so long, but they did have a choice.

I haven't followed this discussion closely so I'm not sure how it relates to Obama. Obama's speech on race was more than a list of crowd-pleasing slogans. It was one of the first political speeches I have seen that didn't talk down to the audience. That felt refreshing I can tell you. I don't know what he's going to be like as a president of the US. Yes, let's see how he fares.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

President Bush is to appear at the United Nations today, and the streets all around my work neighborhood are cordoned off and awash with NY police and other security. I wasn't sure who was coming today -- they generally don't make such announcements, for security purposes. But I reasoned that there are only three people in the world who would cause New York to put on such a display of security: the President, the Pope, or Queen Elizabeth.

Now -- here's my question: what role do you think W, as a former President, will play?

I frankly can't see him as Elder Stateman, like the First Bush or Jimmy Carter, nor can I see him as social activist and man about town, like Bill Clinton.

How about Major League Baseball Commissioner? (And I don't mean that facetiously.)
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

Using torture as a punishment will certainly decrease the level of steroid use.