The Furies (1950)

moira finnie
Administrator

The Furies (1950)

Post by moira finnie »

The Erinyes, aka The Furies, were figures in Greek & later Roman mythology who were originally called Alecto (unceasing in anger), Tisiphone (avenger of murder), and Megaera (jealous). Sometimes depicted as females with snakes for hair bat like wings and blood dripping from their eyes, they sprang from the dripping blood of the god of Chaos Ouranos (Uranus). Their best buds seem to have been The Harpies, who hung out with them and helped them exact their revenge on those pesky mortals.
Over last weekend, I watched The Furies (1950) with a powerful cast led by Walter Huston, Barbara Stanwyck, Judith Anderson, Gilbert Roland and Wendell Corey for the first time. I actually watched it twice and then let the somewhat pontifical commentary on the dvd run while I puttered around.

As I let my thoughts about this Anthony Mann movie percolate away in the ol' noggin, trying to figure out which one (or is it all?) of the Furies that Babs might have been impersonating here, I was wondering if anyone else has seen this new Criterion issued dvd? My initial reaction is that even though I prefer Walter Huston's quiet yet masterful acting in films such as American Madness, Dodsworth and Edge of Darkness better than his more buffoonish yet still powerful portrayals such as this one, I'm so glad that ol' Walt got to deliver a robust, scenery chewing turn for his last time on film.
I'd love to know your thoughts on this interesting movie. I'll try to write more later. Thanks in advance for any shared observations.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Moira! You and I seem to have followed the same pattern of watching this film: I, too, went thru it twice and then with the (agreed, pontifical) commentary!

If you scroll down a bit in this forum I did write a thread on it:

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis/viewtopic.php?t=2409
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

D'oh!! So sorry April, I did a quick (obviously too quick) search and didn't think anyone had written about this movie at this spot. Thanks for being so nice and pointing the way for this bleary eyed dvd cowpoke.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Moira! My own much more bleary eyes just noticed you have your own personal blog now. When did that happen? Did I miss an announcement!? Good going, and I've already "bookmarked" it. :)
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Oh, I dipped my toe into the personal (well, not too personal) blogosphere about six months ago. I add stuff now and then, but will probably be adding more soon. Have you ever thought about doing one, just for fun? I primarily did it to write about stuff that doesn't seem to fit too well here and to teach myself more about the technical side of blogging.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Moira,

I am afraid my blabs at SSO and TCM are as deep into the internet well as I want to go. If I were to give myself one more outlet for being opinionated, there would be no living with me. :P I'll content myself with being a reader, for now at least. I'll keep popping in to read yours with interest.
-- Will Rogers