My Word Is My Bond

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

My Word Is My Bond

Post by stuart.uk »

I'd recomend Roger Moore's biopic My Word Is My Bond

It reminded me of just how big a star he was even before he took on 007s mantle. I'm not so sure about America, but Ivanhoe was a big hit in 1950s Britain. Maverick was on its last legs when Roger played Beau, but he thought the stories were very clever. However, it was The Saint that really got his career of and running. In one Escape Route, one of the best coloured episodes Roger directed Donald Sutherland and was asked by the up and coming actor, if he could use it for his audition for The Dirty Dozen

I had thought he was contracted for five-yrs of The Persuaders, but discovered Roger agreed on a handshake to do a series, because he was already aware of a possible approach to play Bond. He does say he and Tony Curtis got on really well, but that the Hollywood star was very rude to Joan Collins, who guested in one of the shows.

I got the impression he like working with all his Bond girls, but wasn't so sure about Tanya Roberts and Grace Jones, who seemed more interested in their make up than acting on the set.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hi Stuart,
I am reading Roger Moore's memoir now and find him disarmingly honest about his own limitations and foibles, as well as a great raconteur. Unfortunately, the funniest of the stories he tells aren't really apropos for a family friendly website.

I've had no interest in the James Bond movies (except for the occasional villain) since Sean Connery parked his Astin Martin for good, but Moore was an engaging fellow in many of his roles, (I liked his woman-hating ffolkes very much) and particularly since he's devoted so much time to UNICEF in recent years. I think he may be a wonderful dinner companion.

I'd second your recommendation.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Moira

You know what I hope from novels like this from British stars, is that names that are familiar to me and others in the UK, but not in the U.S get a mention, such as Arthur Lowe, Harry Secombe, Vera Lynn and others

I like the way he patched things up with his 2nd wife Dorothy Squires before she died.

I'd also recomend Parky, a book by chat show host Michael Parkinson and his stories about his guests. I would imagine however, that the book won't be in great demand in America.

For example he interviewed Henry Fonda in the 70s and Hank told the British Nation how proud he was of his children and that he thought Jane was one of the greatest actresses he'd ever seen. 30 yrs later before Jane did the show Michael told Jane what her father had said all those yrs ago. She was in tears Why didn't he tell me. It was odd that Hank could tell millons of people in a foreign Country what he thought of her, but couldn't tell her face to face. Michael gave her a tape of the interview as a gift