Richard Bradford, did he blow it

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

Richard Bradford, did he blow it

Post by stuart.uk »

Richard Bradford was and still is a moderately successful American actor. A method actor, he co-starred with Marlon Brando in The Chase.

He also guested in several shows like The High Chapperal, played Tyne Daly's father in Cagney And Lacey, was Jackie Smith's step-father in several Christine Crowwell tv mysteries.

In his more mature years he did a great fight scene, as the crooked cheif of police in The Untouchables.. It was a fight more noteable to us in the UK than those in the U.S, because I saw it was James Bond fights Man In A Suitcase..

In 1965 Steve Forrest came over to the UK, to make the successful series The Baron, though it didn't get much of a showing in America.

Likewise Bradford, after making an impression in The Chase, was in 1966 offered the role of innocent, but disgraced American secret agent McGill in Man In A Suitcase. What was notable about his appearence, was the fact he had grey hair, even though he was only in his mid 30s. Bradford was outstanding as McGill, who after resigning from American Intelligence becomes a bounty hunter/private eye, operating mainly in the UK and occassionally in Europe. Unlike Roger Moore's Saint and Forrest's Baron, McGill was an anti-hero, who got beaten up on several occasions in the line of duty and he drove a modest Hillman Imp. That said he, like the ex secret agent he was good look after himself with both guns and fists. The series also had an outstanding theme tune, which is still played on UK radio regulary.

So why only one series, if both Bradford and the show were of such high quality. It's been suggested that Bradford was difficult to work with and found the strain of responsibilty of playing the lead role in a major tv series hard to deal with. I think Bradford has admitted since he regrets his behaviour when he did the series. I also heard maybe the producers of MIAS didn't help matters, by not treating him very well in any case.

So I wonder if in that respect Bradford could be compared to George Lazenby, who was an outstanding James Bond in On Her Majesty's Secret Service, but who also was a handful on the set and refused to make Diamonds Are Forever, therefore ruining his career before it even started.

I don't think Man In A Suitcase aired in America. I think if it did you might come to believe as I do, Richard Bradford was a superstar lost to the cinema.

I've put a link of the show on the next post
Last edited by stuart.uk on November 21st, 2008, 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

MAN IN A SUITCASE | A TELEVISION HEAVEN REVIEW
Preserving the history of classic television shows both past and present, including your favourite comedies, sci-fi, adventure and drama...plus: Television history, the all-time TV ...

www.televisionheaven.co.uk/manin.htm · Cached page