Great News for Holiday Filmgoers

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
klondike

Great News for Holiday Filmgoers

Post by klondike »

I just got back home from seeing AUSTRALIA, and w o w, am I pumped!
Go see this film as soon as you can, so that next time you hear someone say: "They don't make 'em like that anymore!" - you can reply: "Well, actually, once in a while, they still do!"
This a brand new, absolutely GREAT movie, lovingly crafted, and courageously old-fashioned . . . it's a war movie, a western, an adventure flick, a love story, a coming of age drama, a race conflict, a period piece, and although I would never call it a comedy, there are some wonderfully droll-yet-warm scenes of class-&-gender humor.
It also clocks in at right around 160 minutes, but I defy anybody to claim even one of those minutes dragged or faltered or was in any way boring.
Still not convinced?
OK, riddle me this: when was the last time the ol' Sled Dog said anything nice about Nicole Kidman?!
Well, I beseech all of you to forget all my wisecracks about her fishbelly complexion, and her immense forehead, and her former poutish mugging & dialogue dissection . . she & Hugh Jackman are perfectly cast in this sprawling Down Under epic . . and that should be the key word here, epic.
'Cause this cinematic Xmas gift is going to redefine & reanimate the parameters of the sort of movie for which widescreen was invented! So I urge you, don't wait to "catch it on DVD"; you deserve to fill your eyes up with this one.
Guaranteed, your heart will be brimming, too!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Wow, Klondike, that's quite a recommendation. I was toying with the idea of seeing it this weekend. Maybe I'll try to this week. I'm no fan of either performer but I am intrigued by all the rave comparisons to old-fashioned epics.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers