Helen Walker

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
phil noir

Helen Walker

Post by phil noir »

I've recently seen this actress in three films, and was quite struck by her - especially as I'd never heard of her before this year.

First, I saw her in Call Northside 777 (1948), where she was the supportive wife of James Stewart's crusading journalist - not a particularly interesting role, but she played it well.

Then by way of contrast, I spotted her in Cluny Brown (1946), where she played an upper class English woman - poised and amused by the attentions of Charles Boyer and Peter Lawford.

Finally, she was Tyrone Power's nemesis - a ruthless, amoral psychoanalyst - in Nightmare Alley (1947).

I find her a very interesting presence, based on these three films alone: wry, intelligent and cool.

When I looked into her career, it petered out shortly after Northside - she had a serious traffice accident in late 1946, after having picked up three hitchhiking servicemen - one of whom was killled in the accident. The survivors accused her of having been drunk at the wheel. In the fifties, she had a few minor roles and did a bit of television. She died very young in 1968, of cancer.

Has anyone else come across her? Any recommendations for other films featuring her to seek out?
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

Sorry I can't recommend any other films (at least not off the top of my head), but I have to say I found her delightful in Cluny Brown. Love that scene where she's in the bedroom screaming because Charles Boyer won't leave.

The more I watch and rewatch Lubitsch's films, the sadder I am that he couldn't go on making movies forever.