Real-life inspirations for movie characters

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Lzcutter
Administrator

Real-life inspirations for movie characters

Post by Lzcutter »

I've been reading the Robert Graysmith books on the Zodiac killer in and around San Francisco. I started reading them after seeing the David Fincher movie starring Mark Ruffalo, Robert Downey, Jr and Jake Gyllenhaal.

Anyways, I wanted to share a bit of trivia about the Police Detective that Ruffalo plays in the film, Dave Toschi.

According to Graysmith's book, Toschi was the inspiration for McQueen's character in Bullit. Det. Toschi was a well-known figure around San Francisco due to, in the age of the flower child and hippie clothing, Toschi wore bow ties. He also had an unique holster, a custom-made fast draw holster.

Toschi's unique holster intriqued McQueen and he had it copied for the movie. He also spent about a week hanging out with Toschi preparing his character for the film.

Anyone got any other real-life inspirations for movie characters?
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

Pardon my ignorance, but has it ever been established whether or not Cruella de Vil was inspired by Tallulah Bankhead? I've always suspected she was, and I seem to recall reading someone who confirmed this to be true, but I don't remember where I read it or even if I considered the source reliable.

-Stephen