A lack of mature women broadcasters

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
stuart.uk

A lack of mature women broadcasters

Post by stuart.uk »

Recently in the UK tv presenter Selina Scott (57), who was as her pk when doing BBCs Breakfast, was let go by channel 5 and replaced by a younger woman. Selina took the station to court and won damages.

Championing the cause of mature female braodcasters was Dame Joan Bakewell (75), who herself was a much respected presenter in the 60s, 70s and 80s. She seemed to be suggesting there where no female broadcasters over 50.

While I believe Joan has a strong point and more mature women presenters are needed on UK tv, but when she was speaking I immediatly thought of 50 something Sue Barker, the former French Open Championship in 1976 who is one of BBC sports main anchormen, as well as quiz master of the popular A Question Of Sport. 1977 Wimbeldon Champion Virginia Wade, who's in her 60s is still employed by the beeb as a commentator

Penny Smith (50) and the slighlty younger Scots lass Lorraine Kelly are still high profile presenters for breakfast channel GMTV

Some women admittedly are doing shall we say lesser work in their mature yrs, but are still very much employable. Former newsreader Angela Rippon, former Royal reporter Jennie Bond, present popular reality shows like Cash In The Attic. However, popular black BBC
newsreader Moira Stewart was sacked because she was in her early 60s, despite 30-yrs service

Does America have similiar media problems
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Not nearly as bad. The primary broadcast networks all have middle aged women in prominent roles mostly as hosts of morning talk shows. Katie Couric anchors an evening news cast but her ratings are awful. There is only one I can think of that is in her 70s and that is Barbara Walters. But she is more of a host that has her roots in journalism. The cable news networks don't have any I can think of that are regulars except when they appear as guest commentators.

Local stations, at least in the Baltimore/Washington area have had pretty good records for news anchors (as they often stay for a long time) but street reporters are often younger.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

I’d add that The News Hour on PBS regularly features correspondents Margaret Warner, Judy Woodruff and Gwen Ifill, who was also the moderator of the (I believe second?) presidential debate.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Also, we have Andrea Mitchell who reports for NBC and MSNBC. Mitchell has been with the network since I was a teenager.

CBS has Leslie Stahl who is now part of 60 Minutes

Here in the City of Angels we have Colleen Williams who is the anchor of the 11:00 pm nightly news. She has been part of the KNBC news team for over 25 years.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

markfp

Post by markfp »

Well, part of the problem is that the entire industry tries to attract the younger audience that the advertisers lust for. So they want to make their on air face look like that audience. I once heard a station news director say that "the young viewers don't want to watch their moms give the news".

The other thing is that they can hire a younger reporter or anchor for a lot less than they pay an older more experienced one who's been around along time. In fact, many stations are cleaning house of older staff either by finding reasons to fire them or offering buyouts. It's really sad.

In no way am I defending these actions, but it's become the way the whole industry is going. They only care about profits, not people. Of course, it's not just broadcasting that feels that way. It seems to be all companies now.
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Hi everyone,

Leslie Stahl and her younger sister Stephanie were fixtures in the Philadelphia news scene for quite a while before Leslie wen t national, as was Andrea Mitchell. If memory serves, they worked for CBS and NBC respectively. We have contributed more than Sylvester Stalone!

As always,

Hollis
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Andrea Mitchell also spent a quite a few years in DC.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Good afternoon all and Happy Holidays!

Maybe it's because I've gotten older (as we all do if we're lucky) but it seems to me that most women become more attractive with age! Say what you will about men becoming more distinguished what with the gray over their temples but as far as I'm concerned (for all that's worth!) there's something inherently attractive about a woman that doesn't show itself until she's passed what are typically called her "child bearing years." Call me chauvinistic if you'd like, and that's certainly your prerogative, but I subscribe in all earnestness to the notion that like a fine wine, women simply do improve in virtually every regard! The saddest part of the entire notion is that they're not making them the way they used to! To wit: Irene Dunne, Jean Arthur, Norma Shearer, Myrna Loy and the like. And to top it all off, they're possessed of a certain grace and wit that few of us men can come close to rivaling! Well, to "coin a phrase," "That's my story and I'm sticking to it!"

Have a wonderful holiday everyone, however you choose to celebrate!

As always,

Ho-Ho-Hollis