WHAT SILENTS & PRE-CODES HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

:shock: :shock: :shock: But but ...Greatest Show on Earth might not really be Oscar worthy, but what a great, fun ride! Charlton Heston was never sexier (or dumber) and Cornell Wilde and Gloria Grahame are both gorgeous. Betty Hutton takes some patience to watch, she's really "out there", but it is a fun movie, and may be at the top of the "mindless entertainment" lists!
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
drednm

Post by drednm »

I generally rank DeMille among the most overrated directors. While I like his silent "marital dramas" I generally dislike his overbaked dramas and religious spectacles. The man definitely thought bigger is better and never knew when to end a film.

I just re-watched his 1914 THE SQUAW MAN, a film practically devoid of any sort of narrative structure. Famous as the first feature film shot in Hollywood, it seems like a series of scenes that more or less form a narrative thread..... more or less.... if you can patch together a plot.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Coopsgirl, I'm very likely to watch The Plainsman at some point, I like the combination of leads.

Not sure about The Greatest Show On Earth, it's not the kind of film that I go for but who knows.

I do find it hard to bleieve that the same man went from filming quite sophisticated and grown up marital movies to epics, they seem so opposite in my mind.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
coopsgirl

Post by coopsgirl »

I’ve definitely seen much worse films than the Greatest Show on Earth but I would list it up there with Yankee Doodle Dandy as a couple of films that once I have watched them, they seem to leave my head. I guess some things are like that. I can remember what happened in baseball games years ago down to the last detail, but I only have vague recollections of those films.

Epic films are very tricky though in that it seems easy to get lost in what you’re doing and like drednm said, not know when to end it. Cooper made four films with DeMille and The Plainsman seems to hold up the best. Unconquered isn’t too bad and I would say it’s the next best one but Northwest Mounted Police and The Story of Dr. Wassell are much too long and have too many subplots and unnecessary characters. It’s seems like DeMille got off to a pretty good start in his career and then it just careened off the tracks.
“I never really thought of myself as an actor. But I’d learned to ride on my dad’s ranch and I could do some roping stunts and working as an extra was better than starving as an artist nobody wanted on the West Coast.” - Gary Cooper
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I guess this is what makes some of us real film buffs, and others of us (me included) that just watch movies for the entertainment. I love watching something that takes me out of myself and whatever that day's problems are. Something that takes me to a different place and time, and invites me in to join the fun.

That's why I love this place, you all bring so much information about movies that had whizzed right over my head. Some of it is way too deep for me, or I might not agree, but it's always informative, and it's ALWAYS friendly.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
drednm

Post by drednm »

The Greatest Show on Earth is a great train wreck of a movie.

I think Betty Hutton is the best thing in it; she's the only one with any life. Gloria Grahame (whom I love) looks greasy.
coopsgirl

Post by coopsgirl »

This is a great board and discussions should always be friendly, I mean we’re talking about movies here not world politics or something like that. :wink:

I think what bugs me about Greatest Show on Earth is that while not a bad movie, it wasn’t Best Picture caliber and it was most likely given that award as somewhat of a lifetime achievement award for DeMille since many people thought that may be his last nomination. To me, it doesn’t matter who they do that for, I hate “pity” or “makeup Oscars” like for someone who people thought should have won before but didn’t. I know it’s very subjective, but it should be given to whoever the majority of voters think truly did the best job that year, not what they have done in the past unless it is an honorary or legitimate achievement award.

I'm just still flabberghasted that Singing in the Rain didn't even get a best picture nod that year; that's just crazy. :o
“I never really thought of myself as an actor. But I’d learned to ride on my dad’s ranch and I could do some roping stunts and working as an extra was better than starving as an artist nobody wanted on the West Coast.” - Gary Cooper
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

coopsgirl said:
I’ve definitely seen much worse films than the Greatest Show on Earth but I would list it up there with Yankee Doodle Dandy as a couple of films that once I have watched them, they seem to leave my head. I guess some things are like that. I can remember what happened in baseball games years ago down to the last detail, but I only have vague recollections of those films.
I've never seen Greatest Show on Earth, but I actually own the deluxe edition of Yankee Doodle Dandy and, with the exception of Cagney's famous dance (the one where he looks like he's a marionette), I have no memory of the film at all. Now the Mets, I remember each heartbreaking game I saw at Shea.... :cry:

I've been watching a series of Early Russian Cinema and must say, I'm very impressed. The first volume opens with a fascinating actuality of a Fish Factory in Astrakhan' (1908), where women not only clean the fish, but also fill and haul huge containers of salt! Next was a dramatic film featuring brigands and a kidnapped princess, all done with relatively restrained performances, particularly for a film from 1908. Princess Tarakanova, (1910) features well-known stage actors over-emoting in all their glory. But as it is a period piece, the film and the acting (costumes and sets, too!) are all the more glorious. The lead actress so liked her death scene that she gets to perform it twice! (The inter-title indicates that some "historians" think the princess died by drowning while imprisoned, so in round two, the poor actress is drenched.) The final film on volume 1 is a splendid comedy, Romance with Double-Bass (1911), which has great locations as well as being a tad bit risque.

Volume two opens with a surprisingly violent film, Drama in a Gypsy Camp Near Moscow, which features a murder/suicide, and that is followed by The Brigand Brothers, which again uses beautiful locations, and tells a pretty complicated story-within-a-story with very few title cards (most of the films have either no titles or very few). Some interesting sets and trick photography highlight A 16th Century Russian Wedding, but here the lack of titles make the film very confusing. All I know is that the groom ends up marrying, what I think is a mermaid, and joins her at the bottom of the sea. It's either that, or he (or I) was imbibing of too much vodka.

Ten volumes in all and I'm looking forward to them. Aside from the "biggies" (Potemkin, et al.), I know very little about Russian silent film. If these are a fair representation, the Russian cinema was every bit as evolved as Western Europe and the US. The acting and directing are superb, as are the locations and costumes (most of the men wear beards that would be the envy of the dudes from ZZ Top).
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
charliechaplinfan

Yankee Doodle Dandy is my father's favorite film and only film that deserves repeat viewing in his mind.

I love the way threads can shoot off on tangents of their own :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks to Christine I got to see "Wings" (1927) with Carl Davis' beautiful score. The print is beautifully tinted and it was quite an experience to watch one of the first aviation films and the first movie which won an AA for best picture. Charles Rogers and Richard Arlen are very good. Rogers' final scene with Arlen's parents is heart-wrenching. Clara Bow is very fine although I think she's better suited for films like "It" (1927). Rogers' character premature white hair when he returned home struck me as false though.
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Fernando,

:o Hope that you are feeling better after the operation. That must have been pretty frightening. I was going to send you WINGS, but I am glad that you got to see it. According to this source, not all the original tints-were restored for the Photo-play Edition, but most of them were. This makes interesting reading.

http://nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?t=1884

:? I still would like to see what Photo-play's version looks like with a Fresh broadcast master, although there has apparently been at least one more recent restoration since this was produced in 1993? At the link you can read about different prints held by AMPAS, and the LOC. Although, all of them including Photo-plays are taken from the same battered Safety-stock transfer of one lone Nitrate print found back in the 60's.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for your words Jeffrey, but I did not underwent an operation, I was hospitalized for 6 days due to an acute pancreatitis and I'm much better now.

Thank you very much for the enlightening link.
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

With many thanks to Christine, I got to see the restored version of City Girl. Quite a lovely film, especially the tracking shot of Lem and Kate running through the wheat fields. Here's my comment on the IMDb.

City Girl is another gem from the German master film maker F.W.Murnau, who directed the masterpiece, Sunrise.

City Girl is similar to Sunrise in it's comparison of urban versus rural life and a conflicted relationship between a man and a woman. The couple, Kate and Lem meet in the crowded, gritty city of Chicago where Kate is living an uninspired existence as a waitress and an immediate attraction takes place. Lem is lonely too we gather and under the autocratic thumb of his father. He seems to be independent for the first time in his life, ( he's there to sell the wheat crop.) and makes the decision to marry Kate without asking his fathers approval. After they return to the farm, the conflicts between Lem and Kate and his father and the lead farmhand take place.

This movie doesn't have the dream states, camera moves or super-impositions of the earlier film, but there are several good scenes, notably when the camera follows Lem and Kate as they run through the wheat fields, and the scenes of the wheat harvest which have such a real to life feel to them you almost feel that you're there as the work is going on! As human drama, a study of complicated interpersonal relationships, and the conflict between man and nature, I highly recommend this film! Murnau's masterful use of lighting is also present in this film, with the last scenes occurring at night with shadows so dark only lanterns can penetrate them, casting moody shadows and intensifying the action.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
charliechaplinfan

I'm glad you saw City Girl Brenda, I think the movie is very atomospheric. What kind of diner is the place Kate works in? Is it something that has died out now? It's no frills and they seem to be getting the customers in and out as fast as they can. Some scenes stay with you in films. City Girl has two for me, the scenes at the counter and them running through the wheat field.

Fernando, I think Wings is a smashing film, it didn't strike me as false Buddy coming back with white hair, isn't that funny. The movie is linked with The Big Parade in my mind, especially with in the closing scenes.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Very good review Brenda. City Girl sounds like the type of film I'd love to see.

And Alison, I also had "The Big Parade" in my mind while watching "Wings".