Typical for its era, but still . . Far Horizons

klondike

Typical for its era, but still . . Far Horizons

Post by klondike »

Allow me to make it official: I hereby grant Micky Rooney absolution for his excruciatingly embarrassing performance as the Japanese co-tenant in Breakfast At Tiffany's, now that I have recovered from my near-faint (and pending nausea) at witnessing Donna Reed cast as Sacagewea today in Far Horizons . . I know the prevailing attitude of the era for casting Amerinds was "ahh, who cares!", but come on, this character is a famous historical figure . . and Jiminy Xmas . . Donna Reed ?!!
:shock: :x :shock: :x :shock: :x :shock: :x :shock:
knitwit45

Re: Typical for its era, but still . . Far Horizons

Post by knitwit45 »

klondike wrote:Allow me to make it official: I hereby grant Micky Rooney absolution.......
:shock: :x :shock: :x :shock: :x :shock: :x :shock:

God has spoken! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Can't a girl just try to show her range and make friends with the folks in make up in the process? [That department of the film's production must've ordered a kilo of mantan #3 for Ms. Reed's role in The Far Horizons (1955)]. After all, it goosed Donna's career quite a bit when she appeared as the world's most ladylike "hostess" in From Here to Eternity, didn't it?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I think Donna made a fine looking Indian but explain to me please? What is the difference in her playing an indian and handsome, blond, blue-eyed Burt Lancaster playing Jim Thorpe, although a terrific athlete, a truly unattractive man.

The fact is, Donna made a better indian than Audrey Hepburn did in The Unforgiven, don't you think? Donna was sturdier - built more like an outdoor person.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
klondike

Post by klondike »

mrsl wrote:I think Donna made a fine looking Indian but explain to me please? What is the difference in her playing an indian and handsome, blond, blue-eyed Burt Lancaster playing Jim Thorpe, although a terrific athlete, a truly unattractive man.

The fact is, Donna made a better indian than Audrey Hepburn did in The Unforgiven, don't you think? Donna was sturdier - built more like an outdoor person.

Anne
Excellent points, Anne!
ALL of the casting you mentioned was equally RIDICULOUS!!
I guess my only defense is :

A) I just hadn't gotten around to picking on the others yet, and

B) It didn't help my suspension of disbelief that the script for Far Horizons took such huge liberties with simple, well-known, well-documented American History!

In closing, here's one point of illuminating contrast: The Big Sky, done in the same decade, maybe even a year or 2 earlier: big speaking role for an Amerind heroine . . and they cast a Native American woman!
However do you suppose they did that ?!!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

:lol:

Klondike:

You got me curious so I looked up the lady in The Big Sky. Her mother was an Indian, but her father was not. She was raised in South Carolina, and that was the only movie she ever made, although she attracted a lot of attention in it.

I'm totally with you on the historical facts. I'll never understand why they always think fiction will be more entertaining than truth, whether it's in a historical novel/movie or a bio/movie.

In any case, I hope you realize I'm just agreeing about a disagreement.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
klondike

Post by klondike »

mrsl wrote::lol:

Klondike:

You got me curious so I looked up the lady in The Big Sky. Her mother was an Indian, but her father was not.

Anne
Right.
So she's Amerind, just as Barack Obama is African, and Jessica Alba is Hispanic, and K.T. Tunstall is Caucasian.