The Good News Thread

Chit-chat, current events
feaito

Post by feaito »

Synnove wrote:Well, the good news for me is that my mother probably has found a new job.
I'm glad to read this Hedvig. :D
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Well, the sun is shining and it is really a lovely day :!:

Check out the Whiney thread to see why I was such a "W"itch to poor Hollis, and can't seem to shake this awful attitude. I know it, and I feel it, but I can't get away from it. Please bear with me for another couple of weeks.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Anne:

It's winter. Also after reading your situation it is easy to understand why you might feel down.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
klondike

Post by klondike »

Hey, Anne, next time your tribe sits down to a big ol' mess of linguini carbonara, think of my youngest grandson, "Chops"; he just went in for his 7 mo. check-up a couple weeks ago [he was born 7/2/08], and was found to be in the 95th national percentile for length (30.5"), and the 100th percentile for weight, @ 37#, which explains why he can't wear anything smaller than "3T" (toddler) for clothes. :shock:
Doctors say that as long as he stays active & "regular", and his color stays cheery, he's doing what he needs to do, and to stock-up on baby food, cause his first 4 teeth have nearly broken through, and he's going to be in a big hurry to "trade-up" from cereal!
Chops was born with a half-dozen tiny "beaver teeth" (which is a dormant tendency in my line), but he lost them in about a month.
ChiO

Re: The Good News Thread

Post by ChiO »

I posted the following today before learning of the new address. I apologize if it ends up appearing twice (on the other hand, you should read it twice):

No whiskey or whisky references here...just braggin' about our younger one, Stacey.

We traveled to her college yesterday to see the school's latest production (Stacey's a Tech Theatre gal). Since she's the professors-directors first choice for stage management, this was going to be her first full-fledged production as the light designer. And, given that the play was The Mercury Theatre: The War of the Worlds (Dad, it's Orson Welles! How do kids pick up on what may appeal to a parent?), she was as excited for me as for herself.

The professor-director had taken radio scripts of a Buck Rodgers episode and a Ray Bradbury story to lead into The War of the Worlds. The episodes were tied together by the cast at the edge of the stage reading newspaper headlines of the period about German invasions and collapsing economies, while a "radio" announcer in the back would occasionally say "The Shadow knows", "And in a cloud of dust, a hearty..." and other iconic radio phrases.

Sparse stage with a few platforms, four standup fake mikes, and the various sound effects gizmos, which the actors used. Surprise...Stacey was one of the actors (she hadn't told us, wanting it to be a surprise). And the lighting...oh, the lighting! Always dark, heavy with shadows (my favorite: a few times as an actor stood at a mike as the military man explaining how they were dealing with the Martian invaders, the only light was 3 or 4 horizontal stripes on his face as if the light were going through his mike). Yes, it was chiaroscuro and...dare I say it...John Altonesque in extremis. Welles and Alton in one production! My heart was aflutter.

As Mrs.ChiO and I walked to the car afterwards, she was going on and on about how wonderful Stacey's acting was. But the lighting, says I. You would like it, says she, it was all black. YES!!!

It is worth the ages 13-18 just to get to this point.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Cool Beans, ChiO! I could see it all playing out, thanks to your description. Those moments are pretty special, when the light shines on one of your own! Thanks for sharing.

Nancy

p.s. The years go by quickly, my guys are 35 and 40, and I remember all too well the years of them here with me. Enjoy them!
klondike

Post by klondike »

You'd better be braggin', Mister!
Daughters are a precious commodity, and yours is maturing into a particularly bright gem. Congratulations; you have my envy, and my gratitude for the sharing - memories like these become the treasures that no adversity of life can ever take away.
Good news indeed!
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

The Best News of All! I'm a grandma!Twin girls!

Emma Jean arrived at 2:29pm today: 6lbs,9ozs,19 1/2 inches long
Annabelle Mae arrived at 2:30pm and weighed 5lbs,11 ozs, 19 inches long.

Yes, C-Section, but all for the Best! :D :D :D

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d96/b ... rsery1.jpg
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Congratulations!

The girls look extra-beautiful, which is one of the benefits to the babies of a C-Section. All the best to your family. (I hope you clued the new parents into the fact that they can forget about a full night's sleep for the next eight years or so.)

--Judith
klondike

Post by klondike »

jdb1 wrote:Congratulations!

The girls look extra-beautiful, which is one of the benefits to the babies of a C-Section. All the best to your family. (I hope you clued the new parents into the fact that they can forget about a full night's sleep for the next eight years or so.)

--Judith
What Judith said, x5, from me!
By the way, you can also point out to New-Mom & New-Dad, that when the goils turn about, ohhh, 15 or so, sleep will also get scarce, at least until Dad surrounds the house with after-dark tripwire alarms.
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
inglis

Post by inglis »

Hello to all!
The good news for me is my winter depression is gone and we have got some warm weather coming our way .Its terriable here in Winnipeg in the winter .Everyone just tends to hibernte .I tend to cut myself off not meaning to but I just get kind of sad and don't feel like talking much .I hope I am still welcome here .I feel a little nervous as I have not been here for along time .I have kept in touch with Chris alot so he can tell you what its like for me here in the winter its crap.We had 3 months of solid cold temps and I mean cold -30 was the average.The good news for me is I am walking again to work everyday and listening to my mp3 player which really keeps my spirits up.Hope all of you are well .Carol
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

What a lovely way to start St. Patrick's day! Welcome home, Carol. You've been missed!

Nancy

An Old Irish Blessing

May love and laughter light your days,
and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,
wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world
with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons
bring the best to you and yours!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'd like to say congratulations to Silentscreen who became a grandmother yesterday to two very bonny babies. I'll let Silentscreen fill you in on the details once she comes down from cloud nine. :D

:D I for one an so pleased they arrived safe and sound. Congratulations Brenda. All my best to your family :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Congratulations on the twins! How fun! (Especially if you're not the mother!) We have twins in our family and they are the cat's meow. Everything is twice as cute and you'll find they are sort of mini-celebreties everywhere they go. People can't help asking or commenting or pointing them out to other people . It's especially cute when our twins see other twins and the four are just sort of eyeing each other. Ours are in elementary school now and have started not dressing alike by choice. They have always had very distinct opinions about taste in food. They are so close now and are lucky to always have their best friend with them wherever they go.
I wish you and your family much joy...doubled
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

CONGRATULATIONS...to everyone out there who's survived the winter. It was a tough one.

We had a beautiful St. Pat's day here and are sure spring is on it's wayin for good.