The Women's Room

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Well ladies, let me tell you a cute story that came back to me when I saw these Steve Reeves pictures:
When interviewed in 1960 or 61, Mae Murray was asked if there was anyone who came close 'today' to the great male stars of her day - Rudolph Valentino, Antonio Moreno, Ramon Novarro or John Gilbert.
She replied, "Oh I think Steve Reeves is the one who'll be the biggest star today and in the future!"...
My grandmother shrieked, "Oh now, she's definitely lost her mind!!"......

And, I'm glad to see Gilbert Roland admired as a 'hunk'. He was definitely a gentleman and treated all his many ladies well. I never heard a bad word about him.
He had Norma Talmadge and Constance Bennett in a tizzy for a few years...

Larry
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

Larry

What an absolutely fabulous story! Poor Mae, I wonder if she was as nuts as she's come down to be through history and lore?
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Donna,

During the 50's, Mae was pretty much cognizant. I knew her fairly well but not as well as Marion Davies or Pola Negri.
Pola and Mae had been sisters-in-law back in the late 20's and early 30's when they were married to those Mdivani boys.
Pola sometimes described Mae as "dizzy"!!

It was Mae Muray who made that famous crack after viewing "Sunset Blvd." - - "None of us floozies was that nuts!!"... But, one wonders.
Norma Desmond is said to have been modelled on Mae Murray & Norma Talmadge to a certain extent.

Larry
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Yes, I agree; Glibert Roland was quite the movie star, and moira's photos of him through time are very compelling. I just recently saw Our Betters for the first time with Gilbert Roland and Constance Bennett. In the film, they had a scandalous affair. I had no idea it was art imitating life.
metsfan

Re: The Women's Room

Post by metsfan »

I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts and seeing the great pictures on here. Here a few I was able to dig up:

Ralph Meeker in the theater version of "Picnic".

Rock Hudson

John Payne

Ricardo Montalban

Ty Hardin

Richard Conte

Cornel Wilde
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Moira, I missed the Gilbert Roland pics, I don't know how. He's very nice both young and old.

As for Cary, I adore Cary.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Does anyone remember the photo of Omar Sharif and Julie Andrews from The Tamarind Seed? Johnm posted them, but I think he deleted all his posts. That picture does more to "cheer" me up, than anything else I can think of. Sure would like to see it again!!!!!!
metsfan

Post by metsfan »

Could this be the photo you are referring to?

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

YES!!!!!!!!!

Bless you forever and ever! This time I'm saving it to my desktop so I can sigh over it whenever the mood strikes (and even tho it doesn't "strike" as often.....it still strikes!) :oops: :shock: :D
metsfan

Post by metsfan »

Sorry I couldn't find a larger version of the photo but I'm glad it made your day. Bless you for being such a happy person! Despite never seeing the film, it's a nice photo of the actors sharing a tender moment in their roles.

I'm not sure what actors are favored in the forum but I decided to post a few more. To all, please let me know when I'm becoming annoying with the photos.

Pernell Roberts
John Hodiak
James Garner
Glenn Ford
Rory Calhoun
James Ellison
Burt Lancaster
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

metsfan wrote:I'm not sure what actors are favored in the forum but I decided to post a few more. To all, please let me know when I'm becoming annoying with the photos.
ARE YOU KIDDING???? what do you think we hang around in here for????? The pictures you found are great.

The more I think about that "being a happy person" remark, the more I wonder if I sound like a younger version of Mae????

oh well, somebody has to be the silly one, I suppose....
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
metsfan

Post by metsfan »

Please don't be offended by what I said. I just meant that it's nice to come in here and share good times talking about films instead of thinking about the bad things going on in the world(which I tend to do). At times I need to laugh more. Thanks for sharing your positive energy, I truly mean it.

If there are any more requests, let me know. I enjoy searching for photos.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hey Metsfan!

"When you're becoming annoying" - - NEVER!!!!!

Bring on as many photographs as you like; we welcome them.....
In this day and age, a smiling face is very reassuring!

Larry
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I'm too silly to ever be offended, metsfan! Keep those photos coming, they are such a nice break from all the doom and gloom of today.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

knitwit45 wrote:
oh well, somebody has to be the silly one, I suppose....
I thought someone had found me out :wink: That makes two of us Nancy :D

Keep the pictures coming Metsfan, you cheer my dull day of doing housework
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin