Tammy and the Bachelor

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
metsfan

Tammy and the Bachelor

Post by metsfan »

Out of curiosity, how many of you would watch this or the other installments of Tammy if TCM were to feature them someday? I think Debbie Reynolds and Sandra Dee played their roles well to the point where I can't tell which one did better.
knitwit45

Re: Tammy and the Bachelor

Post by knitwit45 »

I really loved the Debbie Reynolds original. After Walter Brennan, Fay Wray, Leslie Nielson, and the marvelous Mildred Natwick, the sequels all pale in comparison. To me, it's a prime example of Hollywood running something into the ground.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Although I'm not a big Debbie Reynolds fan, I do enjoy
this "fluffy" comedy and think she is quite engaging as
the "swamp girl". :D

(Though I admit to preferring Sandra Dee over all.)

They are escapist fun that brighten a rainy day. I'd watch!
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I'm with mets fan on his/her decision. I am a big fan of both Debbie and Sandra and think they both approached this role with equal enthusiasm, but different attitudes, and both did wonderful jobs. Both were believable and entertaining, and left nothing wanting. Also, both girls out-grew the part, Debbie was just on the edge in the first place, then Sandra carried the character through approaching woman-hood very well. By the time it got to TV, the character had reverted back to teen age for Deborah Watson (not sure of name).

Debbie's cast were primarily waning personalities from the golden age, except Nielsen, and Sandra's casts were of her generation - not necessarily better or worse, but different.

Personally, I probably would settle down and watch a marathon of 'Tammy' movies some afternoon.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
metsfan

Post by metsfan »

Thanks to all for your replies. I think these films were made for us women to enjoy because we can relate to Tammy in some way. Men might find them boring but at least the first one brings more humor, especially when Tammy arrives at mansion and falls asleep with Nan eating the plants. I recently bought the dvd but haven't had the time to sit and view all three movies.