What are you listening to?

Chit-chat, current events
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I think everyone knows I'm country but lately the newer artists are bringing in the loud and heavy rock sound, so I'm pretty much starting to pull out my old CD's. About the only time I listen to music is in the car. Music in the house makes me want to dance, but since that's out for now, I stick to old country, or new, George Strait or Alan Jackson.

Otherwise I turn on to the big band sound, especially Glenn Miller, and both the Dorsey's. I wasn't part of the young Frank Sinatra generation, but I do listen to him and have some of his CD's, along with Deano, Andy Williams, and Tony Bennett. I'm always looking for a Perry Como in the second hand stores. And of course, many musical show soundtracks, my favorite of them is Paint Your Wagon.

I also have scads of Elvis - my favorites being King Creole and the big, gala Elvis from Hawaii.

Finally, I like a few classical especially Rachmaninoffs Rhapsody theme of Paganinni, played in Somewhere in Time, and bits and pieces of different operas - but that's for night time and going beddy bye.

Anne
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Here's an interesting guy who plays solo bass guitar in the NYC subways. Check out "Here We Go Again/Live." Great tune.

http://www.myspace.com/gonzalosilva
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

On Cable TV, I have the music channels, and since I have three TVs throughout the house, I can have the same music playing everywhere! I bounce back and forth among the Easy Listening, Big Band and Swing, Singers and Old Standards, Classic R&B, Smooth Jazz, Light Classical, and Classical Masterpieces channels. Right now, I have beautiful Light Classical swirling through my rooms at a fevered pitch!

What is great about the TV music channels is they always tell you the titles of the pieces, so you never miss what it was, as on radio. For the classical pieces that is very important since my knowledge is limited. And, the variety is welcome. I do have many CD's, but I rarely play them. I have become accustomed to my cable music stations.
bobhopefan1940

Post by bobhopefan1940 »

Garbomaniac wrote: What is great about the TV music channels is they always tell you the titles of the pieces, so you never miss what it was, as on radio.
Aren't those stations devine? I love the 40's on 4, it has to be one of my favorites. I have thought about getting the same service in my car, but it is quite pricey. I'm always over at the TV every other song checking who is the artist :P
"How strange when an illusion dies. It's as though you've lost a child." --Judy Garland
"To help a friend in need is easy, but to give him your time is not always opportune." --Charlie Chaplin
"Dumb show is best for screen people, if they must appear in public." --Buster Keaton
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Ha! Me, too! And, they are "divine." I always wanted speakers throughout my house, but couldn't ever afford it or figure out how to do it. This solves the problem!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Danny! At work I listen to BostonPete.com, the swinging pop standards they play are right up my alley. My favorite music at home is Sinatra, especially his album with Antonio Carlos Jobim. I also have a nice cd of film-noir theme music, as well some Peggy Lee, Tony Bennett, Fred Astaire, Michael Franks, Nat "King" Cole and movie soundtracks. Just recently I kind of am liking Enya a bit, but I don't yet have any of her cds. And I want to get a good Bing Crosby cd soon. :o

I would love to get the music to several movies for which no (original) soundtrack releases are available, including John Ford's The Searchers, Young Mr. Lincoln and Rio Grande, as well as a few Alex North titles.

I do like classical music too, though it tends to bring me down a bit so I listen to it sparingly.

Miss G
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

MissGoddess wrote:
I do like classical music too, though it tends to bring me down a bit so I listen to it sparingly.

Miss G
As a classical music lover I'm curious to know what brings you down. I find most of Beethoven, Brahms and a good deal of Baroque music to be quite the opposite. Granted there are plenty of pices that can do that to one. If I'm in a mood there are certain pieces I listen to that reflect that mood. I don't want happy music when I'm feeling down.

Tchaikovsky, while a writer of great melodies, can be on the melancholy side.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
bobhopefan1940

Post by bobhopefan1940 »

MissGoddess wrote: And I want to get a good Bing Crosby cd soon. :o
Uh, I have just about every Bing [popular] recording (nearly, about 300 and some songs) on my computer. Can I send you a CD? Any requests?
"How strange when an illusion dies. It's as though you've lost a child." --Judy Garland
"To help a friend in need is easy, but to give him your time is not always opportune." --Charlie Chaplin
"Dumb show is best for screen people, if they must appear in public." --Buster Keaton
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Oh Danny that's so sweet! Golly, I'd love anything you put together of his---with that voice he can croon the yellow pages and I'd be swooning! :P
bobhopefan1940

Post by bobhopefan1940 »

MissGoddess wrote:Oh Danny that's so sweet! Golly, I'd love anything you put together of his---with that voice he can croon the yellow pages and I'd be swooning! :P
Oh, good! I'll put together a three cd set. I find it far too difficult to narrow it down to one or two :wink:
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Wow---only if you're sure it's no trouble! :o I can hardly wait----I'll be listening to him at the office constantly, I just know. :D

Der Bingle

bobhopefan1940

Post by bobhopefan1940 »

:D No trouble at all! In fact, I've been waiting to share my collection after I spent many months building my library up. I'm sure it will far surpass anything you could pick up on the net... Hope so, anyway.
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

movieman1957 wrote:
MissGoddess wrote:

Miss G
As a classical music lover I'm curious to know what brings you down. I find most of Beethoven, Brahms and a good deal of Baroque music to be quite the opposite. Granted there are plenty of pices that can do that to one. If I'm in a mood there are certain pieces I listen to that reflect that mood. I don't want happy music when I'm feeling down.

Tchaikovsky, while a writer of great melodies, can be on the melancholy side.
Miss G,

Try Mendelssohn's 4th Symphony "The Italian Symphony". It's very light and fun. I always recommend this to anyone wanting to try classical for the first time since it isn't heavy, pounding and somber like much of the more familiar fare.

Of course, I like it light and thunderous, too. :roll:
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
inglis

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by inglis »

bobhopefan1940 wrote:Just curious... Are you into new music, old music? Personally, I barely listen to anything that is out on the air waves to day. I like to go back and find the gems of the past, like artists such as KC & The Sunshine Band and Bill Monroe. I also listen to ABBA :oops: and The Carpenters :oops: :oops:

Ok, I listen to some newer music, too... But rarely does it fall into the mainstream. I like artists like Kevin Max and Lifehouse. What about you? What are you listening to? You can also off up talk radio, if you like.
Hi Bob .I like to listen to Tony Bennett and alot of the old crooners
I also like this group called The Dandy Warhols .They had some of their music on Good Will Hunting and just recently on Stranger Than Fiction. Great movie btw if you have not seen it yet its really good.The Beatles always have a place in my heart. Cheers Inglis
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Today I'm listening to a cd that by the British rocker Robbie Williams. It's a SWING album that he made titled "Swing When You're Winning." It's really wonderful; he has a great voice for the standards. Some of songs included are: Straighten Up and Fly Right, Beyond the Sea, Well, Did You Evah?, Have You Met Miss Jones? The whole vibe of the album is fun.

One of the things that I like about contemporary singers' recordings of standards is that audio quality is so much better now.

Sandy K