Romantic Leading Men

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
mrsl

Romantic Leading Men

Post by mrsl »

Since there isn't a Romance Topic, I decided to put this here. Actually, the Romantic Duos thread made me think of this.

Who, in your opinion, is the best romantic lead?

I don't necessarily mean by physical looks or dialog, I mean actions. Do you like the caveman type, like John Wayne, or the hearts and flowers type like Cary Grant?

When I think of a romantic guy, believe it or not Jimmy Stewart comes to mind. Have you ever noticed how he really holds the lady? He wraps his arms around her and really holds her close. Maybe it's because his arms are extra long but he gives a feeling of safety. Next time he is in a clutch with anyone, check out what I mean.

Except for Duel in the Sun, Gregory Peck always seemed romantic to me. He exuded charm, and a seemingly sincere, innocence that made you want to protect him.

Anne
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Ronald Coleman was without a doubt romance personified. He didn't even need a leading lady to ooze romance. His romance was with life. He romanced the intellect, the soul, the arts, the imagination, and the ethereal! He was magic to watch on screen, and when he had a woman in his arms, he was an education to us all!

Oh! I forgot this was the comedy section! Nevermind!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

That's a question that's tough for me to answer, because it depends on my mood, really! I absolutely adore the spirited, witty romancing of Robert Montgomery, and William Powell, as well as the right honorable and poetic style of a true gentleman like Ronald Colman. But then I equally become enthralled by the rugged types like Gable, Wayne, and above all Gary Cooper, who walked the fine line between the two types.

I didn't include Cary Grant for because as much as I love his films, he has never personally really excited me like the others (except in a handful of roles like Charade, Only Angels Have Wings and Notorious---but then, he isn't "hearts and flowers" in either of those, you see?)

Then there is Bogart, who isn't to my mind an action-oriented star nor is he comedy of manners type---he was an intelligent, quick witted guy but also a crusty individualist, and sexy to boot.

I also like the passionate, non-Americans like Boyer, Omar Sharif and Yul Brynner who bring a different flavor and intensity to the romantic mix.

Oh, let's face it, I just like men and find all but the most effete or narrow to be romantic in their own way. ;)
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Oh, yeah! I forgot about Boyer! Algiers with Hedy, the close ups, the passion, the struggle! Losing your life for love! Now, that's romance! Or, is is craziness?
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Garbomaniac wrote:Oh, yeah! I forgot about Boyer! Algiers with Hedy, the close ups, the passion, the struggle! Losing your life for love! Now, that's romance! Or, is is craziness?
It's the same thing!
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

I think I'd have to go with Charles Boyer. If anyone had a niche, it was Charles Boyer as The Great Louver! :D He excelled at it. I'd have run off with pretty much any one of his characters, as soon as he opened his mouth.

That said, there are several actors who can get the romantic engines running. Certainly Ronald Colman is infinitely charming and elegant...Gary Cooper is clumsy and adorable...Errol Flynn is....well....Errol Flynn....Clark Gable always knew the score and how to work a girl into doing exactly what he wanted her to do.

Lots of options on this one!