A Lightbulb Moment

Chit-chat, current events
charliechaplinfan

Re: A Lightbulb Moment

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I love those little old ladies who come in the bank, although I suspect the bank would prefer they go automated.

I guess I sit somehere in the middle in this debate, a lot of the changes happened whilst I was without children therefore I had time to sit and work them out. Nowadays I haven't the patience. Technology has brought a lot into my life but I understand the frustrations some people feel. Fastforward to when I'm a granny, I can't imagine anything will have slowed down, changes will probably happen all the faster, I wish I was the type who could be excited by the prospect but I remain cautious, as always.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
bryce

Post by bryce »

Folks, I'm sorry for derailing the thread, and I'm definitely trying my hardest to understand where you all are coming from. Let me put it this way: I like talking to my teller, I like writing checks out for my payments, I like receiving paper bills, I probably teach people how to use things a little too fast as my mother (how to use anything technological) and my wife (how to play guitar) can attest - this is because I am a bad teacher and nothing else, there are many things that I admire and enjoy that is out of step with my own time. This is probably because I was raised partly by my grandparents and as such I enjoy interacting with people older than I every bit as much - if not more - as I do as people my own age. The side-effect of being raised by my grandparents is that I ended up with an almost preternatural ability to call someone on their crap.

If you believe so strongly that computers are destroying the way in which we interact, silentscreen, I ask this of you: find me at least one study which confirms your suspicions. Then, find me a second one. You won't even get as far as half a study that agrees with what you're saying. I'll challenge you further, find me one study which even comes close to saying that internet usage outstrips television usage. Who, exactly, are all these people that you know that never come out of their house or call, and if that's what they do, how, exactly, do you know them and their habits so well?

I am sure that since the dawn of the written word there have been so very many philistines decrying the death of personal interaction. "Woe and curse the advent of literature and letter! For where once we gathered in great theaters to tell stories of legend and lore, now we stay in by the fire, writing of our latest escapades in love and loss to our best mates fighting great wars across the continent! If only this horrific plague upon our ability to interact hadn't come, we might still have some semblance of culture and society!" Doesn't that seem a bit alarmist to you?

There should be a rule: if Abe Simpson says it, it's officially wrong, cliche and horribly cantankerous.

As for what I have in mind for a positive thread, well, this was about as close as I thought it could get. Anne had a lightbulb moment, I applauded her for it, and then someone started screaming fire in a theater.
klondike

Post by klondike »

bryce wrote:
There should be a rule: if Abe Simpson says it, it's officially wrong, cliche and horribly cantankerous.
Alright Mister, now you've crossed the line! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
How dare you criticize the sacred American institution of octogenarian cross-dressing !!
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Was the one being curmudgeonly? I didn't mean to curmudgeon. I know I have a curmudgeonesque vein that runs through me but I truly though I was expressing myself about my opinion about my mixed feelings about progress. Cur and mudge, as it were.
Don't worry,
I'll keep out of here.
Curmudgeoningly yours,
B
bryce

Post by bryce »

Birdy, you weren't being a curmudgeon at all. Sorry for the confusion of my post.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I don't think we can be down on computers seeing as they have brought us altogether. For me they have more positives than negatives but it's not unreasonable to lament that nobody takes time to write letters, stop for a chat etc anymore.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
klondike

Post by klondike »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I don't think we can be down on computers seeing as they have brought us altogether. For me they have more positives than negatives but it's not unreasonable to lament that nobody takes time to write letters, stop for a chat etc anymore.

Smartly put, Alison; the credo I like to go by is: "It's a tool, not a lifestyle; when you're done using it, shut it off!" :idea:
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Thanks Ladies! By the way Anne, I meant to tell you that I too think this is a very interesting topic that you started.I can definitely relate to much that you said. :)
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Bryce,
Thanks for the response.
I guess I wasn't being curmudgeonly.
I was being thin-skinned.
Birdy