The Power of Glamour

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Professional Tourist

Re: The Power of Glamour

Post by Professional Tourist »

Last edited by Professional Tourist on February 20th, 2011, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

PT, you are aware that our Larry (vecchiolarry) was a good friend of Ms. Moorehead? When he gets back from his trip to London, perhaps he'll share some more stories about her. She has become one of my favorite actors, and I thank you for all the pictures of her. What a woman!
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Well, since we are breaking away from the book, and how! I never thought I would say it, but Agnes is phenomenal! So, thanks PT for opening up the floor! And, now for some REAL glamour shots!

Gene Tierney

Betty Grable and June Haver

Hedy Lamarr

Greta Garbo

Rita Hayworth

Ava Gardner

Jean Harlow
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

With long hair Ava was one of many but with short hair she became something else.

It made me smile to see Garbo sat in Ricardo Cortez's chair, I didn't think they got on that well. What would he have thought about her using his chair :roll:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Here are some pics of Ava with short hair, and you are right; she is something else!

I am sure Ricardo was miffed! We both know he didn't think anything of her, and we also know she didn't like him. She probably did it on purpose! Ha!
charliechaplinfan

I'm sure she did it to annoy and then claim ignorance, after all she hadn't mastered the language by this point. Did they have anything else to do with one another after this movie? He could have been nicer considering she was new.

Love the Ava pictures, that's exactly what I was trying to say.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Glad you liked the pictures of Ava.

And, of course you caught that those pictures of Garbo were of her first and last film: The Torrent and Two-Faced Woman!
Funny thing, she has the same mirror. I wonder if it belonged to her, or did they just make hundreds of those between 1925 and 1942?
charliechaplinfan

She still looked great in 1942. The untouched still in the Vieira book brought me up short, the before and after images are very different. I can see what Greta meant about ageing, I don't think she aged well but she liked the sunshine and was fair skinned and perhaps her hairstyle didn't have her at the best advantage. She was still a striking woman, it's a loss that she didn't come back to the screen.
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

You are so right, CCF. I got out the book and looked at the unretouched and retouched photos. At thrity-six, she was showing her age closer to forty. You know I don't want to start a competition here, but Ava didn't age well either, and neither did Rita. It must have been a hard life, and it was totally focused on youth! Linda Darnell started at 16! So, when she was thirty-five, I thought she was 50! Dietrich was one of the smart ones. She made her first Hollywood film when she was 29, so as she aged, there was little difference. In fact, I think she looked better in some of her Forties films than in her Thirties'.

Here she is in 1942 and 1936:

Of course both photos are retouched, but it is almost the same woman in a different scene of the same movie.
charliechaplinfan

Marlene aged so well, she looks better in the later picture than the earlier one. She had a knack of knowing the best way to present herself at all times. Even when touring with the armed forces she looked well groomed.

Apart from the eye brows Joan Crawford didn't age too badly.
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

You're right, CCF! Joan did age well. I kept trying to think of someone else, and I should have remembered her! She was unusual in that she looked like a completely different woman with each decade. So, her previous look didn't really have any affect on her "age" in the public's mind because I think they accepted the new look and move on with her.

charliechaplinfan

I think Joan and Marlene were blessed with marvellous bone structure. For the life of me though I can't think of anyone else from that era who looked as good as they did.
Professional Tourist

Last edited by Professional Tourist on February 20th, 2011, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Professional Tourist

Last edited by Professional Tourist on February 20th, 2011, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Agnes ALWAYS looked good, even when she didn't. I think that must be the secret. Start making movies as late as possible, and you simply won't age!

Here are some shots of Linda starting at age 17 and ending at 28.

Now, I know this is an unflattering part along with unflattering photography, but she is only 27 here!