The Domestic CAT: Feline at its finest!

Chit-chat, current events
silentscreen

Re: The Domestic CAT: Feline at its finest!

Post by silentscreen »

charliechaplinfan wrote:My cats kneed my legs too and give me kisses with their nose. They are very loving. I had a cat called Livia but she was run over and had to be put down, it was one of the most horrible moments of my life.
Yes, poor Tabitha got run over too. I had gotten another cat, a male, and one night they were going at one another in the living room. No one was going to get any rest, so I let Tabby out, which wasn't unusual, but the next morning, I found her out in the street in front of my house. It was horrendous! All I could do was lovingly put her to rest in the back yard. She's the only pet I've ever had who's buried at my house.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

It is terrible when our babies die. I'm not going to go through the deaths of each one, but they were all unfortunate.

Bijou is the more loving of the two. She gives me kisses and an occasional bite! I know it is all in love, and I even look forward to those little nips. Basia is a big scardy-cat! She never gives me anything, but both of them come when I call, well most of the time (for sure for dinner).

They live in the garage, have house privileges all day (walking in and out or sleeping on the sofas and chairs), but go back into the garage at dark to eat their dinner, and there they stay until morning. I have never let my cats out at night because there are too many wack-oes out there, too many other cats that could start a fight, and they also don't need to be fighting or meowing keeping people awake at night. Also, when Holloween comes around, they stay in the house all day and into the night before they go back in the garage. They are not available for sacrifice by any weirdo on Satan's day. Ha!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

My goodness, is it so dangerous for your cats at night. I could quite cheerfully throttle anyone who is cruel to animals.

Claude gives plenty of little nips and licks me, all in affection.

It's a wonderful feeling to be loved by an animal, it's an honour. I don't believe that it's just cupboard love. I've never had an illness yet that one of the cats haven't helped nurse me through, Claude especially, he's very in tune to when we are unwell and brings his own special feline magic, it's very comforting to have a feline purring away next to you, ocassionally licking or nuzzling to let you know that they're there. Fred has helped me gestate both my babies, he's sit right on top of my big bump, keeping it warm.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Garbomaniac wrote: Bijou is the more loving of the two. She gives me kisses and an occasional bite! I know it is all in love, and I even look forward to those little nips.
This morning my alarm feline, Evil Monty, jumped on my bed as usual to make sure I was awake. He perched on my shoulder as I lay supine, purring like mad, rubbing my face with his, and making nice. I stroked his head and chin. After a few minutes of this lovefest, he hauled of and took a chunk out of my hand. I've got puncture wounds six inches deep in the shape of cat fangs. And he looked so surprised when I objected. "Hey," he seemed to say with that hurt look of his, "this is how we guy cats make love. What's your problem?"

And that's why we love cats.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

As sorry as I am about your bites, Judith, I am still relieved to know I'm not the only victim. I've always thought it was something about the way I was petting her that made Charlie nip. I think sometimes I get too enthusiastic, and cats do "love" by biting, but OUCH!!!!!!! She's taught me to pet slowly, and for a very short time. Anything more, and go get the band-aids! :shock:
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Well . . . . . . I do hate to bring another species into it, but I can say that our late Beautiful Maggie the Dog was not above nipping a finger or two when playing around, but she was always quite circumspect and seemed to understand that she was more than capable of taking your arm off, so she was very gentle. Evil Monty used to watch Maggie all the time -- to learn where the snacks were hidden, how to get the treats out of a rubber Kong toy, how to recognize when we were going out the door or when we were about to sit down (so he could beat Maggie in jumping onto a lap). Unfortunately, he never did learn to use discretion in nipping. I always have this image of him poising to strike at a profered hand, turning from a 7 pound black housecat into a 300 pound black panther for that split second. Very Val Lewton.

And that's why we love cats.
charliechaplinfan

Can I bring the tone down a little.

I spent this morning in the vets with Fred. We were there 2 weeks ago, the poor guy is dehydrated and has kidney problems, he's not going to get better but there is a chance he can live longer. I was faced with the chance of giving him one last chance or taking him home for us to say goodbye to and taking him back at the end of the week for the long sleep. I tried to be realistic, there's no point putting him on a drip again if he's going to be back to square one again within days, there's no guarantee will work but there is hope that it might, just might make him better for a while. Then we move very soon, that's stress in itself. So I took him home ready ot make the decision with his Daddy tonight. All the while I was hime crying my eyes out he lay on my lap purring, for a whole hour, I can't put that cat down, one that is purring, even if he is dehydrated, he's got to have the chance, even though it's tearing my guts apart.

He's back here, has eaten a little, I hope it works but I know I couldn't end his life without trying just once more.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I'm sorry that you are going through this right now, much less whenever anyone is having to make these choices, Alison. Having had to face more than one pet loss over time, it never gets easier, but, if it helps you a bit, I always tried to look at life through my dog or cat's eyes.

I tried to try to make these difficult decisions clearer by looking at them graphically. On one side of a piece of paper, I would write down all the things my pet has always loved to do in the past, such as walking, eating something special, playing, greeting you at the door, chasing the ball, or hanging out with my family, followed by the things my dog or cat is still able to do. The discrepancy, the amount of pain that the pet is experiencing, and the amount of pain his loss is going to cause the humans immediately and in the long term were all factors in deciding what to do next.

If only they lived as long as humans usually do.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

I think that is a good strategy for deciding. He's still walking, climbing a little, purring and enjoying a good fuss. I've changed him on to a wet diet too. One day at a time.
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Judith, that is the funniest story! At least it will be ten years from now. I hope your hand gets better soon. But, I imagine he DOES love you!

And, guys, since my wife died, I have no problem with death. If a cat or dog is sick and needs to be put out of its misery, then I do it without hesitation. Sure, it is sad. Yes, it is hard. But, death is as sure as life, and if an animal is suffering or has a horrible end in sight, I say make the kindest decision and move on.

I remember Lucky, the cat I told you about. I found him on the roof, and immediately brought him to the Vet, which is my practice for any stray. If you don't take them to the Vet and bring them into the fold, if they are sick, they will infect the others. Turns out he had lukemia. So, I put him down, even though the Vet said he might live another month just fine (ending in a horrible convusive death). There are so many animals in need in this world. If the one you have is going to suffer, then stiff upper lip.
charliechaplinfan

Garbomaniac, I wonder what you'd do if you were me.

Fred was rehydrated and ate for a few days and now he'll eat only the tiniest amount. I know he has kidney failure and a thyroid problem, I also know he's not in any pain. He's still purring with gusto although choosing to live most of the day tucked away from us. The vet has told me that he won't just go in his sleep and that it will come to a point when that decision will have to be made. I keep telling myself that when he's stopped purring I'll have to do it but watching him sniffing his food and not eating a thing is causing me pain. My husband is in denial and won't talk about it. We move in 4 weeks time, I don't think Fred is going to make it there.
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Oh, my, Allison. I can't tell you what to do. I watched both of my little dogs die, three monts apart, going through the throws of death just like my wife. But, I told myself, "This is what death is." Most things that die go through this, what we call suffering, but I am positive that you are unconscience during this time. The body is just shutting down. So, I didn't do anything but let them die.

Now, in your case, I imagine you will come to this point, and if you wait that long to do it, you must let him go through the process of dying, and that my take hours, as it did in the "puppies" case (I always called them that, even when they were old). That is only respect of the dying process and death. But, if you are in the middle of moving and he starts to die, you will just have to put everything on hold until he is gone, which could take anywhere from two to three hours to overnight.

So, if I were you, I would make up my mind to put him down. You don't have to do it, but if things get too complicated with the move, or it looks like he is taking a turn for the worse, then you can just go through with it. Otherwise, you can just let it be and see what happens. But, taking a stand to follow through with some definite action will ease your mind cause you know you are doing the right thing. It is all in his best interest, and having a plan is always good. You know he will have to pass no matter what.

And, as my father used to say, "Never regret your decisions because that was your decision at that time, and you can't go back."
charliechaplinfan

I want him to go naturally, but not with suffering. Poor thing is surrounded by boxes and we don't move for 4 weeks (we have so much stuff) I just need to know that if I have to take that decision I have done everything possible I could for him. I know he won't hold it against me.
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Well, of course. You have given him a wonderful home, and he has had a very happy life. I am sure he won't hold anything against you. I sure wouldn't; I'm all for euthenasia, but that's a different topic.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

That's the weird thing about pets, isn't it? That we know we're going to fall in love with them, then outlive them and grieve. (Unless you get a parrot or a tortoise.)