To Dream of Dogs

Chit-chat, current events
Garbomaniac

Re: To Dream of Dogs

Post by Garbomaniac »

I had a feeling Klondike's post wouldn't be well received, and it wasn't. That is why I tried to circumvent the whole issue by starting the Feline thread as soon as I saw what was about to happen. Funny thing, it didn't work. :roll:
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

We needed the cat thread, anyway, James. Thanks for being a peace-maker! or as my Charlie would say: Miao!!! (she's French, you know)
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

As one of those people who has had the privilege of being a human companion to both dogs and cats and loving both creatures, as well as most of the animal kingdom (at least from a distance), I was reminded recently in this thread of the sight I used to enjoy at a friend's house. My buddy Jim's cat would literally ride around the house on the back of his dog.

The pair had grown up together and, I suspect, just to keep one another amused when the humans were out of the house, devised this game where the dog would charge down the hallway and the kitty would leap onto his back and hang on for dear life. As the dog ran faster, the cat dug her claws in a bit more to hang on. Nevertheless, they actually seemed to enjoy it and ran until both were exhausted. Maybe we could learn a lesson from them too--and enjoy both the threads devoted to dogs and cats as we go running around the halls of the Silver Screen Oasis?

I think it's okay to like both deeply.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Top Searched Dog Breeds on AOL Search:
1. Chihuahua
2. Maltese
3. Havanese
4. Shih Tzu
5. American Bulldog
6. Boston Terrier
7. Golden Retriever
8. Chug
9. Rottweiler
10. Yorkshire Terrier
Joseph Goodheart
klondike

Post by klondike »

mongoII wrote: 5. American Bulldog
This is the only breed on the list not yet recognized by the American Kennel Club (nor by the dog registry of any other nation); it has been commercially bred by a dozen or more respected kennels across the US & Canada for over 30 years now, and, unlike the bulldogs of either England or France, is a large breed of dog, originating in the Southern US, adults standing between 21 & 26", and weighing between 60 & 90#.
mongoII wrote: 6. Boston Terrier
For over 50 years now, "the American Gentleman" has been the official mascot breed & athletic namesake for the Bellows Falls Union High School; GO TERRIERS!
mongoII wrote: 8. Chug
I can only assume that this is a shorthand acronym for the Chinese Pug, and hopefully, not some horrid new Hollywood "designer" cross! :x
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Merci, Charlie and kw!

And, funny thing, last year I rescused from a shelter two little dogs who had been dumped in a box on the side of the road. As it turns out, I picked the #1 breed, Chihuahua! Who'd a guessed? That is one breed I swore I'd never have, and now I have two. Be careful what you swear!!

bebe is the little girl, and Kenny is the boy. It was determined that they came from he same litter, but they are completely different body types.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Chug Description
The chug is not a purebred dog, it's a cross between the Chihuahua and the Pug breeds. If you're not familiar with the chug breed yet, you will be soon. Today, this is one of the most highly demanded breeds.

Because of their size they make good pets and companions. Chug puppies easily adjust to new surroundings and climates and will quickly become devoted to all members of the household. Because the breed is very people oriented, the are attentive and easily trained. Training is easier than in other breeds because of the Chugs innate intelligence and good memory.

Chug puppies are lively dogs that like to play with each other, as well as other family members. Early socialization is as important with this breed as it is with others. Incomplete socialization will lead the dog to be shy and wary of outsiders. Despite their size, Chugs can make for good watchdogs. Chugs have superior eyesight and hearing making them ideal guardians. They can even recognize the sound of a different car engine entering the driveway
Joseph Goodheart
klondike

Post by klondike »

Allow me to throw the old Dogmobile into reverse; thanks to your last posting, Joe, my memory has refreshed itself - I have indeed heard of the Chihuahua/Pug crosses before, and contrary to my typical stand on outbreeding and/or designer dogs, this is a combination that actually makes sense to me, given the complimenting attributes of both of these breeds!
My only practical concerns about deliberate 'crosses' is the prevalence of the breeding/whelping/weaning being managed by non-kennel-acclimated people (well-meaning but undereducated amateurs), and the frequent occurence of not being able to concientiously place all pups from a litter in safe, deserving, well-selected homes - as opposed to the sadly common alternative of the "remainders" being dumped in puppy mills, franchise pet stores or local shelters.
Happily, where Ch'ugs are concerned, this doesn't appear to be a problem (yet).
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Garbomaniac -
Your chihuahuas are very cute!

Here's dog story from last weekend, to make up for the fact that I blab on and on about my 'you know whats'. However, it could also go in the 'Days gone terribly wrong' thread (if we had one) or the 'Kids can make you nuts' thread (the same).

The kids were staying at my house playing on their slip-and-slide and baby pool and sprinker and generally enjoying the hot day. One of the 8 year olds got a scrape on her knee. I'm sure it hurt, but it did not warrant the bellowing that ensued. The three year old was running around the yard, taking the rest of her clothes off. The other 8 year old was in the front yard picking flowers. I was trying to get everyone inside so I could treat the wound (or amputate, if needed) and somehow left the basement door open.

Rosa, the old black lab, could hear the crying and decided to go down the basement stairs to investigate. She's very protective, and I'm sure to her it sounded like the crying was down there. After the crying stopped, I realized Rosa was down the basement steps and couldn't get up them (she has arthritis now) and was basically having a panic attack. I called my neighbor but he wasn't home and I had to leave soon so, in my adrenaline-pumped state, I carried the poor old 70 pound dog up a very steep set of 100 year old steps.
It probably wasn't my smartest move, as I could have ended up hurt myself.

Now the three year old just keeps talking about "Rosa down the steps. She's stuck. ...Covered with dog hair." (That would be me - don't forget, I'd been in the sprinkler.)
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Birdy, we share more than weather! When my precious Dobie, Babe, started that last terrible journey, her joints began to stiffen. To get down the stairs to the yard was difficult, but coming back up was impossible. To top it off, it was an awful, snowy, icy winter. The only way we could accomplish those trips outside was for me to go with her, and then carry her back up again. I'm 5'1, and woefully out of shape, but I found out what love and determination can accomplish.

I'm sure your dear Rosa knows how much you love her!
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Dogs of War

[youtube][/youtube]
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

So expoitative. So hilarious. And so darn cute. Aren't doggies good natured? Even on his/her best day, Lassie never did anything like that.

And what about Limburger cheese? Where has that gotten to? It seemed that everyone in 30s and 40s cartoons and comedy shorts had Limburger cheese within arm's reach; now you can't find it anywhere (not that you'd want to).

Thanks. Mr. A.

(It's a funny thing, but last night I actually did dream of dogs. Big ones, like deerhounds, romping in the snow and getting all snow covered.)
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Garbomaniac wrote:Merci, Charlie and kw!

And, funny thing, last year I rescused from a shelter two little dogs who had been dumped in a box on the side of the road. As it turns out, I picked the #1 breed, Chihuahua! Who'd a guessed? That is one breed I swore I'd never have, and now I have two. Be careful what you swear!!

bebe is the little girl, and Kenny is the boy. It was determined that they came from he same litter, but they are completely different body types.
Your chihuahuas look gorgeous. I saw on a previous thread that you have cats too, how do they all get along? My parents in law have both cats and dogs and they get along very well, but the cats try to get the upperhand and Leah their dog is so laidback.

We like dogs very much but we got cats because they fit in better with our lifestyle at the time which was both working full time and we had no one here for most of the day. I'm glad hubby's parents have Leah because I never grew up around dogs (my mother was scared of them, when you're young you pick your parents fears) thankfully neither the children or myself are scared of dogs. They both want dogs when they are old enough to have their own. Once we move I plan to start nagging for a canine companion, I'll let the cats settle in first.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
klondike

Post by klondike »

jdb1 wrote: And what about Limburger cheese? Where has that gotten to? It seemed that everyone in 30s and 40s cartoons and comedy shorts had Limburger cheese within arm's reach; now you can't find it anywhere (not that you'd want to).
Shame I say, shame on your dietary puritanism! I like Limburger cheese, and yes, it's getting harder to find, though I think a regionally distributed brand still exists in the NE, called Mohawk Valley, I believe.
The Mrs. used to walk into the kitchen and toss the bathroom bottle of Listerine at me (cap on), whenever I used to snack on the King of the Fetid Cheeses, until the day I pushed one of those "Mohawk Valley" wrappers in her face & told it her it was all her People's fault.
I so love being domesticly assinine! :twisted:
jdb1 wrote: (It's a funny thing, but last night I actually did dream of dogs. Big ones, like deerhounds, romping in the snow and getting all snow covered.)
And you didn't jump out of bed this morning & PM me about it right away?!! :(
Judith, I am so hurt!!
:| :cry: :|
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Sorry, Klonny, I didn't know you were the Dog Dream Monitor.
What do you make of the one where I dreamed that Robert Mitchum climbed out of my TV, singing?