Red-Headed Woman vs. Baby Face

Garbomaniac

Red-Headed Woman vs. Baby Face

Post by Garbomaniac »

Well, personally I love Jean Harlow, but Stanwyck's performance is just as, or more, powerful than Jean's. Jean was so coquettish, "Can you see through this?" Two girls climbing the ladder of "success."
dfordoom

Post by dfordoom »

They're two of my favourite ever performances. I just don't think I could decide which one I prefer!
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

I tend to be with doom, but if I had to choose it would have to be Babyface, even though Harlow is one of my dream girls. It's just a deeper, richer movie.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Yeah, Baby Face. Although they are both exceptional films. But Baby Face stays with you longer. Great as Harlow is in Red Headed Woman, it's Stanwyck who has the ability to move you in more emotional ways.
dfordoom

Post by dfordoom »

Dewey1960 wrote:Yeah, Baby Face.
I think I'd go for Red Headed Woman, purely because it has a more uncompromising ending.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I enjoy them both! the only quibble I have with Red-Headed Woman is the dearth of attractive leading men (until that fellow what's-his-name from France shows up). Baby Face had one of my faves, Georgie Brent, albeit in a wet-blanket role.

Of Jean's pre-codes, I actually prefer Red Dust.

Miss G
dfordoom

Post by dfordoom »

MissGoddess wrote:Of Jean's pre-codes, I actually prefer Red Dust.Miss G
Red Dust is fantastic. And unlike Red Headed Woman, she gets to play a character who is both a Bad Girl and a very sympathetic and likeable character.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Jean with Chester Morris in Red Headed Woman:

Stanwyck with George Brent in Baby Face:

SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

MissGoddess wrote:Jean with Chester Morris in Red Headed Woman:
Oh yeah, that's another reason to vote for Baby Face. I just can't stand Chester Morris. He drives me up the wall.

And I agree, Red Dust is a fantastic movie. That and Bombshell are my two favorite Harlow films.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I didn't care for Chester Morris at all, either, until I saw him in the Boston Blackies. I think that series suited him best of anything I've seen him do. He also wasn't bad with Carole Lombard in a movie they did together called The Gay Bride, but then, his character was almost identicle to BB and the movie would have gone thru the roof quality-wise, had Gable played the part instead. :wink:
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

I'd have to say "Red-Headed Woman" because I prefer comedies. I LOVE the ending--you think she's down and out, but she takes that check and the chauffeur and conquers Paris! (BTW, was that Charles Boyer as the chauffeur?)

Though I have to list both in my top 10 pre-codes.
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

traceyk wrote:I'd have to say "Red-Headed Woman" because I prefer comedies. I LOVE the ending--you think she's down and out, but she takes that check and the chauffeur and conquers Paris! (BTW, was that Charles Boyer as the chauffeur?)

Though I have to list both in my top 10 pre-codes.
Yes, it sure was Boyer and I think with him she showed good taste in men at last! :wink:
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

MissGoddess wrote:I didn't care for Chester Morris at all, either, until I saw him in the Boston Blackies. I think that series suited him best of anything I've seen him do.
I agree.

I like Chester Morris okay - not my favorite, but I like him fine. However, I thought he was in a role that suited him perfectly in the Boston Blackie films.

I liked him in The Gay Bride as well - his character had Lombard's character pegged, and it was amusing to watch. Although yeah - I could easily see Clark Gable's amused little smile as he messed with her head in that role. OH YES! :lol:

Another film I liked him in was called Public Hero No. 1. Good character in that one.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Yes, Morris was good with Lombard in The Gay Bride. I'd like to have that one recorded, actually, it's a funny little film. Did you get the dvd of No Man of Her Own, yet? I did and I just love it. I've been waiting for years for this movie to come to dvd or at least be shown on TCM. I think she and Gable just seem to be having so much fun together and their chemistry is amazing.
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

Yes, I purchased No Man of Her Own. I've not had time to watch it yet as I've been really busy lately. But the only way I would miss a Clark Gable DVD release is if I didn't know about it. Clark Gable is one of those actors whose films I always buy - good film, bad film, unknown quantity film...I don't care. As long as it has Gable in it, I'll watch it...and hopefully own it.

One thing I will say about Gable: when you are in the mood for a Clark Gable film NO ONE else will do. His films are so....'HIS', if you know what I mean. There is a style to them that you can't get anywhere else - especially when it comes to comedy. But even in more serious roles it's there. That whole cocky/amused thing he's got going on...

You know what I mean?