The Domestic CAT: Feline at its finest!

Chit-chat, current events
jdb1

Re: The Domestic CAT: Feline at its finest!

Post by jdb1 »

Ollie wrote:Fiends! All of them! And every few months, Wifey tricks me into trying to get them to teach them more soccer rules. "That's over the line again! I've clearly marked it! That's offsides! You two just can't cross over, chasing the ball like that!" Of course, the goalie hardly stays where he should either. I may never be able to field a professional cat-soccer league at this pace...
My impression is that cats are much more amenable to playing ping pong. Have you tried getting up a game with them?

My last cat, Rocky, was very good at "fetch," and my feline before that, Andreas, was great at jumping up the walls to flip the light switches. Evil Monty likes to push things to the edge of a table, bureau, or windowsill and watch them fall, sometimes trying to get to the ground before the object lands (but not to catch the thing, only to get there first). Each cat has his own special athletic skills, I suppose. We can never truly know their own personal agendas. That's what makes them so interesting.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Yes, I've seen the batted-ping-pong but I don't think they could keep me in the lap of luxury like a pro cat-soccer league might do. I mean, I could probably create a TV-Wrestling style of Cat-Ping-Pong League but, honestly, how many cats could I have? Only 2 at a time, at best.

And if I'm going to take my normal 99% agent & marketing director's cut, well, that's OK for TWO.

But just look at the BIG picture. If I could run ManU out and take over Europe, I might be able to sign up a THOUSAND cat soccer stars, each of them donating that normal 99% agent's fee to me.

They should be able to pay for my retirement, therefore, quite nicely.

It's just their cantakerous, mean-spirited attitudes that keeps them from learning even the SIMPLEST rules. "You cannot use the walls to flip yourself and attack the goalie IN NET! That's a foul. EVERY TIME!"

I tell them that over and over. I've even videotaped it. I set out the tuna plates for them, we go over the videotapes over and over. But y'know what? Most of them act SO disinterested in this post-game sessions. Good grief... how are they EVER going to earn me millions at this rate? FIENDS! That's all they are!! FIENDS!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

knitwit45 wrote:James,
Hollis lost his beloved Oscar last week. He was devastated, but he's moving forward. He found a little black female cat at the vet's, tried bringing her home after several days, but his first female, Punkin, just wouldn't accept her. He's had his hands full breaking up fights, and has decided to return her (that was an option from the vet). All the hoo-haw at home (isn't that a great word???) has actually been a good thing, it's helped him heal a bit. I will convey your kind words to him.

Nancy
Nancy, I never knew this, poor Hollis. Cats can be extremely territorial.

When we had kids Fred accepted them no problem and now they've grown he's allowed their little paws to get tangled in his fur. He's brilliant, he's taught them with much patience how to treat him and loved them in return, they think he's great. The other cat Claude wants nothing at all to do with the kids, seven years on he won't entertain Libby who is the model of patience with him. He will not have her near him but goes wild for me or Chris.

Judith, fanny means something much ruder over here although I honestly don't know why it should be so rude. To my absolute embarrassment, Libby asked her Dad for a name for down there and that's what he told her. Next thing I know the preschool teacher was having a word with me because she's such a quiet girl and to hear such a word come out of her mouth quite shocked them. It has to have a word and I'm not into calling it a flower or anything like that, I suppose it's as good as anything. There are far more words to describe what Joe keeps in his trousers and he knows them all.

I listened to the report from the BBC on breakfast radio yesterday. Tell me something I don't know, the second one is usually accompanied by a gentle nipping.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Well, I have moved into my new house. I move so often (about every four to five years) I guess I have ants in my pants. Anyway, the cats have moved now four times since I've had them. The first move I kept them in the garage for about a week to get acclimated. The next time was about four days. Then, the third time I kept them in for a couple of days, and this time was just over night. They take to the moving around very well. This is the third day, and they have been basking in the sun all day in the backyard. That pleases me no end. I guess they know where their bread is buttered.

I did notice today there is a cat next door. They have never been very friendly to neighboring cats. I am waiting to see if this time they become friends. Of course, now that they are 8 and 10, they may be more tolerant of intruders. I will have to wait and see.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Garbomaniac -
Glad to hear the cats are adjusting well!
(I just came from the Dog thread!)
B
charliechaplinfan

I'm glad the move went well Garbomaniac.

We lost Freddy a week after the move, he had been poorly and I hoped that once we'd moved he'd be more settled. He certainly seemed happy when he arrived but then I think his illnesses caught up with him. I get comfort that even though he was ill he kept going long enough to stay with us. He could see the boxes that I kept packing, he knew something was wrong. I hoped with his illness (kidney failure) that he would expire peacefully at home but it became apparent that we couldn't put off a visit to the vets. He wasn't in pain but declined slowly and I didn't want the kids to see him like that much better they remembered the cat they loved. Freddy came out from under the bedt o say bye to us, just before he got really bad, I knew he was saying goodbye and I cuddled him for ages on the bed. How Chris and I got to the vets I'll never know, thankfully we were both able to go and offer each other comfort.

The worst bit was having to tell the children, Libby cried solidly for a whole night when he died. All we could do was cuddle her and cry with her. The only remedy that we could think of was another cat which we promised once the conservatory was built, so early September but that didn't do the trick.

We are now the proud parents of Charlie, a ginger tom cat aged 8 weeks who was sold to us as a female and as a female she had the democratically elected name of Lola. Only when Chris and I were playing with 'her' at night did we think her nether regions looked suspicious. When we first clapped eyes on her we thought she had a boys face (long nose, not an exact science). So I had to phone the vets the next day to get tips on sexing my kitten (it's all to do with the spacing of holes and i had to text the information to my hubby because I was at work and it isn't the kind of conversation that's professional :lol: ) Lola became Charlie because of a children's programme here called Charlie and Lola, not democratically elected but chosen by Joe but hey, I'm not going to complain am I?

Charlie is nuts, we are in a three storey house and he charges up and down stairs, he loves a ping pong ball on the laminate floor and Chris's metal tape measures. He was born in a house with 4 kids so he isn't scared of ours unlike our other cat who just does not do kids. He has the most beautiful markings and gets on with Claude our 13 year old jellical cat very well which surprises us because Claude is not the most generous with his territory and has had to put the young pretender in his place, after all his tail is not a toy and his stomach is not there to break Charlie's fall. I shall be posting piccies soon.

He's taken away a lot of the pain but I still get caught wuth tears in my eyes. Freddy was really cuddly, a people cat, a shadow and he was very vocal, he'd and meow until you took notice and he shared my hobby of curling up and watching a good movie. We plan to get a plaque for his resting place, Libby chose the words.

RIP FREDDY ? - 27-7-09.

CUDDLE CAT AND OUR BEST FRIEND.

FROM YOUR FAMILY.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Welcome back Alison! I've missed you awfully!

Welcome Charlie too! :D Be good to your new family.

A fond farewell to Fred. :cry: I still have a pic of him with Libby. She gave a most eloquent eulogy to him.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Alison, So sorry to hear about Freddy. I know you have a big heart and the love for him will not get pushed out; your heart will just get bigger with love for Charlie.

Watch out for blind pulls and all that dangerous stuff, I couldn't believe how adventurous my new cats were but they are settling down now. No one has jumped on my shoulders from the newel post for several weeks.

Birdy
charliechaplinfan

Birdy, I forgot how nutty kittens are, Charlie is bonkers and sticks his nose into everything. He's all tummy and tail and has a brilliant appetite. He's fascinated with Claude who has had his life turned upside down and hasn't moved so much in a few years.

Brenda, I'll have an email soon, can't wait to talk to you again :wink:. All my email pals, I've missed you.
Marta

Post by Marta »

Alison I'm so sorry to hear of Fred's passing. I know how much you loved him. I'm glad you got Charlie however, and I can't help but think of Chaplin when you talk about the cat's name!!!! Sounds like he's very energetic!!! Libby's words for Fred were so sweet, she's such a lovely girl. I've really missed you, I miss our chats, and I hope to talk to you again very soon.

:mrgreen:
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Alison,

We'll have lots to chat about once you come back online. :D

Charlie's just a baby, and we all know how much energy they have. He'll keep you on your toes!
charliechaplinfan

Charlie has made it known that he doesn't appreciate my laptop. For me the name Charlie should go to a black and white kitten, more in keeping with Charlie Chaplin's beloved tramp. When you have kids you have to take their suggestions.

He's a sweetie and of course rules the roost.

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Alison, he's gorgeous. Such nice coloring. A very handsome devil.

And he already looks as though he knows who's boss. (Hint: It's not you.)
charliechaplinfan

It's definitely not me and it's not our 13 year old tomcat Claude. Despite being initially frightened of Claude's size and unflappable demeanour Charlie has bounced his way into Claude's affections. Claude has had no choice in the matter, they now playfight, sleep together and wash one another, it's really touching to watch. Fred and Claude tolerated each other but were never that close. Claude hasn't moved so fast in years.
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

charliechaplinfan wrote:It's definitely not me and it's not our 13 year old tomcat Claude. Despite being initially frightened of Claude's size and unflappable demeanour Charlie has bounced his way into Claude's affections. Claude has had no choice in the matter, they now playfight, sleep together and wash one another, it's really touching to watch. Fred and Claude tolerated each other but were never that close. Claude hasn't moved so fast in years.
Perhaps Charile was just what Claude needed to make him feel young again. :lol: Charlie is adorable.