GARBO!

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
feaito

Re: GARBO!

Post by feaito »

She looks indeed very, very beautiful Garbomaniac. Great pictures.
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Thanks, feaito. Those early shots of her were really great! The photography then was so different than now.
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Over on the TCM Boards there was a discussion on Garbo. Someone brought up the fact the Garbo's face was geometrically perfect, and that it had actually been measured. I was aware of that fact, and so I researched it and came up with these photos. To my knowledge, no other star had been so scrutinized. It was interesting that anyone would have gone to the trouble, but here are the results. I felt that this should be shared with all of those on these boards as an extra tid bit to add to their body of knowledge.

charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I wonder if Garbo ever saw these and what she though of them.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi James,

Thsi is nothing new... In the MGM makeup dept. there are oddles of stars with their faces analysed like the upper photo of Garbo.
I've seen Hedy, Joan C., Irene D., Myrna, Norma, and Lana. Also, Ann Sothern...
Even the men and character people all were done.

In 1961, when I worked with Del Armstrong on Lana's makeup for "Bachelor in Paradise", we had Lana's face model and colours all layed out in front of us.

Larry
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

I am sure she did know. From all I have read, she had her minions buy up all the newspapers and magazines that even mentioned her each day so she could read what everyone was saying. I expect her insecurity needed the strokes: although, it didn't seem to comfort her enough to extend her hand to the kindness of strangers. As to what she thought of it, I'm sure she was pleased.

And, Larry, I am sure you know more than I, and I bow to your body of knowledge.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I find that surprising that Garbo would be so intrested in what was being said about her. She feigned indifference for her screen work but lapped up the written word. I suppose the great and the good are just as insecure as all of us.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

Garbomaniac wrote:Over on the TCM Boards there was a discussion on Garbo. Someone brought up the fact the Garbo's face was geometrically perfect, and that it had actually been measured. I was aware of that fact, and so I researched it and came up with these photos. To my knowledge, no other star had been so scrutinized. It was interesting that anyone would have gone to the trouble, but here are the results. I felt that this should be shared with all of those on these boards as an extra tid bit to add to their body of knowledge.
It's uncanny you mention this James, because I recall when many years ago -around 1986-1987 I think- a university class-mate who was very fond of Classics told me that Garbo had the most perfect features of any movie actress of all time and that they were measured to be geometrically perfect. She said to me that she had also measured her own features and that her features we're as symmetrically perfect as Garbo's. I was impressed by both statements.

By the way, in no other picture of hers that perfection is more evident than in that still from "Mata-Hari" in which she wears that fabulous Jeweled piece -which you posted.

Talking about la Mata, are there any news about the probable release of the uncut version of Mata-Hari that was found in Holland last year or so? And what about the uncensored version of "Two-Faced Woman" that apparently surfaced too? I'm curious. I'd like to have the opportunity of watching both.
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Sorry, Fernando, I haven't heard a thing about the release of either. But, I would love to see them, too!
feaito

Post by feaito »

Last Friday I watched "A Woman of Affairs" (1928) and I enjoyed very much this highly dramatic film. I feel that it's one of Garbo's best Silents I've seen. She and John Gilbert have a great chemistry, not as hot as in "Flesh and the Devil" (1926), but still ignite sparks. I think Douglas Fairbanks jr. is quite outstanding as Garbo's bitter brother. As Diana Merrick Garbo has some of her finest moments and it's all too bad that she did not realize that she had beside her the man that respected and loved her dearly and could have made her very happy: the faithful character played by Lewis Stone. Dorothy Sebastian and Hobart Bosworth also give winning performances. Melodramatic, absorbing and well done.
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

I love that movie, too. Although, it isn't as true to the story as it could have been. Garbo was powerful and sublime as usual. It's funny cause I watched it a week or so ago. It is a great silent. Here are some pictures to remind you of the movie:

feaito

Post by feaito »

Beautiful pictures James.

How does it compare with the remake "Outcast Lady" (1934) -I've never seen it- which stars Constance Bennett?
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Oh, I don't know. I've never seen that, and I am crazy about Constance! I will have to check it out!
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Variations on a theme:

Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Here is something fun I found.