Hollis

Chit-chat, current events
knitwit45

Hollis

Post by knitwit45 »

It is with deep sadness and pain that I have to tell all of Hollis' friends, he finally slipped the bonds of earth and passed away, August 3rd. I just spoke with his son, Jarred about an hour ago. Jarred is in Alabama, tending to all the bits and pieces that Hollis left behind, and has been going thru Hollis phone list, calling to let his friends know.
I'm sure Hollis is asking a million questions of St. Peter (and anyone else who will listen), and enjoying every second of his new, pain free existence.

You will leave a mighty void, dear friend.
Thanks for the memories

Nancy

edited to remove my signature, because the "chickens" aren't laughing today
Last edited by knitwit45 on August 13th, 2009, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dewey1960

Re: Hollis

Post by Dewey1960 »

I'm deeply saddened by this news. Hollis was a wonderful guy. RIP.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

My condolences to the family. A sweet guy who will definitely be missed on this earth.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I just can't believe it Nancy, I can't...... Just today my wife and I were wondering about him, because we sometimes talked with him over Skype. I'm shattered and so, so sad. He was always so nice, friendly and gentle with me and my wife; a very dear friend.

Rest in peace dear friend Hollis, I am happy that life gave me the opportunity of being your pal.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

One of my favorite names ever. Hollis. Wow. I wish him the very best, and wish I'd have known him better.
klondike

Post by klondike »

Despite the unfortunate trivialities that conflicted the two of us of late, I have always considered Hollis to be a good & genuine friend of mine, a delightfully unexpected gift arising from our first chance acquaintance over on the Mother Ship.
Though our lives had taken different paths, we had so much in common.
I was looking forward to his return this coming week, hoping with a young boy's Saturday morning optimism that we would be reconciled soon, thinking about all the recent stuff I wanted to chat him up about.
Now, the Xmas cards he mailed me these past 2 years evolve from being warm mementos to become treasures of memory, just like our chiding NFL wagers, he for the Eagles, me for the Pack. In '07 I lost, and sent him a pint of local maple syrup; I remember the voice-mail he left for me the day he got it, tears of gratitude in his throat.
Rare the month that went by without our PM'ing back & forth; though I scolded him about titles between old warriors, he'd still call me Captain once in a while.
I'll wait til the moon's up, go out & sit on the porch with a fifth of Jameson's.
I sure hope he hears me . . . my throat's a little clogged tonight.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

feaito wrote:I just can't believe it Nancy, I can't...... Just today my wife and I were wondering about him, because we sometimes talked with him over Skype. I'm shattered and so, so sad. He was always so nice, friendly and gentle with me and my wife; a very dear friend.

Rest in peace dear friend Hollis, I am happy that life gave me the opportunity of being your pal.
Nando, thanks dear heart for the kind words. They would mean so much to him. He counted you as one of his very special friends here at SSO, and always talked about wanting to meet you and your dear wife face to face. Dewey just posted some of H's favorite tunes on the Record Party thread. Be sure to stop by and give a "listen".
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for your kind words Nancy. I told my wife a while ago and she could not believe it; she was in awe and in tears. I can't get used to idea that he's gone. I'll visit Dewey's thread to listen to Hollis' fave tunes.
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Oh my gosh, I'm speechless! I didn't know Hollis well, even on the board, but it's such a shock! The same thing happened to me back in 2005 when a dear friend passed away and his daughter called me. R.I.P. Hollis! May the angels hold you in their arms!
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Our condolences to his family.

May his memory be eternal.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I believe this is the first of our little SSO family, and I want to say how awful I feel, but Hollis is most likely feeling better now with all pain gone.

Rest in Peace, Hollis.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Oh my, oh my. I didn't really know Hollis, but I knew he was troubled. Such a sad life we all lead, and the pety misfortunes we have to bear. Oh well, he is in a better place; at least, that is what I believe. He won't have to be troubled by cats and dogs or man, anymore. Farewell, Hollis. I am sorry your end had to be so troubled. You just never know. I hope his end was at least peacful.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I can't believe it, I usually look at the messages first but today I left a long post about Dean Martin and sent a message to Fernando and it was only when I read another message asking me how old Hollis was.....

I can't belive he's gone, I spoke to him only just before I moved, I commiserated with him about Oscar and we spoke about him coing to England, Now I had room to put him up properly and I was looking forward to his visit. I knew about his health problems but for me whenever I spoke to him he sounded so alive not bowing under the weight of his continual pain.

I'm so sad, I though I'd cried enough for a couple of month. Dear, dear Hollis I will miss our chats and our friendship.

RIP Dear Friend, at least now you are painfree.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I'm so sorry to read this news, but sincerely hope that Hollis is free from all pain at last.
God rest his soul. He truly earned his peace from all turmoil. My condolences to all who loved him and I am thankful that he shared a small portion of his life with us.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Rest in peace, friend Hollis. You are in our thoughts and our hearts.

As always.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS