Hollis

Chit-chat, current events
Professional Tourist

Re: Hollis

Post by Professional Tourist »

I didn't get to know Hollis, nor knew that he was ill, but from what I had read of his posts around here he seemed like a nice person.

I did have a private message from him once, shortly after I had joined. He admired my avatar and was wondering if it might be from a painting by Toulouse-Lautrec or Renoir. That made me feel good, and still brings a smile when I think of it. :)

I am sorry for those who are grieving his passing, but if he was suffering then I'm glad in a way that he's moved on to a place where there is no pain.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

This is such bad news.

I am so sorry - I felt for so long that Hollis was quite unhappy, and it's a shame he had to leave this world feeling so angry at, and abandoned by, the system he felt he had served so well. He was always such a gentleman toward me in our few private correspondences. I will miss him.
vallo

Post by vallo »

I'm speechless; I remember when he wrote me on my regular E-Mail address. I thought I won a contest. We laughed about it and corresponded with each other once and a while. What a shame, the good DO die young…Rest in Peace and God Bless your soul…Friend

Bill (vallo)
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hello Everyone,

Wow, this is a horrifying shocker....

Hollis is one of several SSO & TCM people whom I have privately corresponded with over the last years. I had not heard from him for a while and was wondering about him just last week...

I have sent him several postcards (as he collected them from travelling friends) from my trips to Russia & the Baltic cruise and recently from LA....
I am leaving on a Rhine/Danube river cruise on August 28th and going to Istanbul then Egypt and he was so looking forward to getting 'great cards' from there....

This has certainly put a tailspin into our lives, it's really unbelievable, and we'll have to take some time to fathom it all.
The only comfort to us is that Hollis no longer is in constant pain and is now released from the body which anchored him to semi-immobility....

Thank you, Nancy, for letting us know...

R.I.P. Hollis....

Larry
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Well, I don't know what to add to all the previous comments. Like Fernando, I spoke with Hollis a few times over Skype and enjoyed his delightful conversation. I feel really sad today.... He sent me a really lovely gift once: he framed two vintage French banknotes he got from his father. They are just hanging on the wall beside me at the moment. Each time, I'll look at it, I'll remember Hollis.
RIP, dear Hollis.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I'm so sorry to hear this.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I'm so tired of losing friends.

I too was thinking of him. Any day I should read about the Eagles and their hopes and with Vick signing I sure there was opinion coming soon. Now we won't.

The blessing is he has been healed. All his physical pain will bother him no more.

Farewell friend.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Marta

Post by Marta »

I was just informed about Hollis' death by Alison. He sent me a lovely PM once asking me about England and what it was like. I'm so sorry to hear of his passing, I didn't know him that well, but it's always sad when someone dies. I hope he's out of pain and is happy wherever he may be. Rest in peace Hollis.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I've spent all day chewing this over and still can't believe it. There are some days you just wished that it has been all a bad dream.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

Oh this is such sad news. My contact with Hollis was brief and delightful.
RIP dear man and condolences to his family and friends, especially those here at SSO who knew him well.
:cry:
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

If only I had written him once more.
It goes to show...never ignore the nagging thought in the back of your mind.

Rest in Peace, Hollis.

My condolences to his family and friends.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I know that we each have our struggles with our own lives, but today I could not help but be moved to mention two charities that I know Hollis supported. I thought that some of us might want to give what we could in his name, if we are able. If we're not able, Hollis--of all people--would understand. You can check out these organizations by clicking on the links below:

Homes For Our Troops

Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

This is sad and terrible news. He was one of the good ones. I don't even have words.
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

This is indeed sad and shocking news. I was just thinking about him a day or so ago as I was browsing the conversations.

-S.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I am at an age when death shows up, too often unannounced and always with bad news.

I got to know Hollis from his days at TCM City and he was one of our early supporters when we launched this site. He loved movies and wanted to know the history behind them.

He was always there with a kind word and a kind thought. His medical troubles the last few years hit very close to home and I remember how we all came through with suggestions and helpful hints. I like to think we made a difference in his life.

I will miss him and I will always remember him fondly.

"People bring flowers with illness and food with death. Hollis was my friend." with apologies to Harper Lee.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese