Here is another odd card:

feaito

Re: GARBO!

Post by feaito »

Queen Christina...fantastic!
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Oh brilliant, I love that card even more!

But I think I would have made her the Queen of Spades. I'm not sure why, perhaps because it would be more dramatic. I'm thinking of the russian opera. . . . :)
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Here is another fun one. I love those cut-outs they did in the Forties! This one, from Two-Faced Woman, shows Karin, her wicked twin, and Melvyn.

Professional Tourist

Garbomaniac, have you ever seen this candid color photo of Garbo from the 1960s:

Left to right we have Greta Garbo, designer Tony Duquette, his wife Elizabeth ("Beegle"), and Gayelord Hauser. They are at the Duquette Ranch in Malibu, CA.
feaito

Post by feaito »

That's a great photograph PT. Greta's features resemble, in a way, Aggie's.
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Oh, that is just the greatest photo! Thanks, so much! She was getting older, and her features were becoming more angular! So, feaito was right, she does resemble Agnes! Thanks, for sharing.
Professional Tourist

I came across this tribute video tonight on YouTube:

[youtube][/youtube]

I don't think much of the song used, but the video itself is groovy. 8)

Where are you, Garbomaniac? You haven't been around much this past month. :( I miss you, and hope that you are okay.
Professional Tourist

Garbomaniac, you haven't been around for quite a while, but in case you might check-in some time, I wanted to post a photo of this doll that has recently been created of Garbo in character has Mata Hari:

Image Image

I think it's a wonderful likeness and has not yet been sold, so if interested you may wish to contact the artist.

We miss you, Garbomaniac. Cheers. :)
Professional Tourist

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

This is lovely! It looks so contemporary, as if it was taken yesterday. Thanks for sharing!!!!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I love the picture above, it's so beautiful and contemprorary.

I've started reading Barry Paris's book on Garbo. I like this, he goes into details, the only details he's lacking on a little is her films, he doesn't seem to care for some of her silents without really explaining why. He does seem to get to the essence of Garbo, explaining the often contradictory nature she displayed. I've read up to Susan Lenox (another film he didn't care for, or Mata Hari) and although I've read about Garbo and Gilbert's romance before from different view points, his is the most touching and tries to understand both parties actions, he likes Gilbert , he rates Gilbert along with John Barrymore and Charles Boyer as the only costars that Garbo had that were up to Garbo's acting standards. He doesn't rate Clarence Brown's work very highly either, Clarence Brown being the director who directed her most often but praises highly her work for Edmund Goulding (Love and Grand Hotel).

It struck me that perhaps the Star is Born story is based a little on Garbo and Gilbert, more Gilbert he being the big star who often didn't behave himself who had a mighty fall. I know they weren't married and no doubt A Star is Born is borrowed from different lives but Gilbert for my money, is Norman Maine.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I would agree with you about Gilbert being a perfect Norman Maine. I've read that it was supposedly the story of Frank Fay. Maybe part of that feeling of a Gilbert-like character is due to Fredric March's romantic portrayal of Norman? Still, the idea of a star, rattling around an empty house, drinking himself into oblivion is too close to Gilbert for comfort. The style, the dark viewpoint, the gallows humor that Norman exhibits, masking his fears and at the same time a plain cry for help.... from everything I've read of Gilbert, it's a good fit. Can you imagine Gilbert playing the role? Wow.