Cash for Appliances

Chit-chat, current events
ken123

Cash for Appliances

Post by ken123 »

]With the " Cash for Clunkers " program ending today the Energy Dept has announced a " Clash for Appliances " program with tax rebates for consumers who purchase energy efficient appliances. Any comments on either program ?
Birdy

Re: Cash for Appliances

Post by Birdy »

Bertha, move over.

(Bertha is the name of our A.C. unit!)

Birdy
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

My GOD! Is the government in charge of EVERYTHING? What happened to free enterprise?
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Garbomaniac wrote:My GOD! Is the government in charge of EVERYTHING? What happened to free enterprise?
Don't know if you're being facetious or not, but a lot of people are asking that same question.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

On the other hand, we're still waiting for mainstream American business to supply us with efficient, reliable, environmentally beneficial, and affordable appliances. As the sainted Dr. Phil might ask: How's that working out for us? I don't know about you, but I'm still waiting.

Somebody's got to take the lead and rattle some cages. We don't seem to have any really effective consumer advocates right now, so . . . . . . .

I don't see things like this as another instance of government control. I see it as leadership. It would be wonderful if we could trust the industrial sector to think about our immediate needs, and future needs, first, instead of the needs of their boards of directors and preferred stockholders, but that's not likely to happen any time soon. What alternatives do you propose for "free enterprise" that won't take another two or three decades and also result in profiteering at the consumers' expense?
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Are the reassigned Death Panels going to require me to purchase more efficient and energy saving appliances from a government stockpile?

If not, it strikes me as pretty good policy to provide an incentive to (a) do something that is environmentally beneficial and (b) put money into the (free) market of consumer goods.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
ken123

Post by ken123 »

silentscreen wrote:
Garbomaniac wrote:My GOD! Is the government in charge of EVERYTHING? What happened to free enterprise?
Don't know if you're being facetious or not, but a lot of people are asking that same question.
Isnt buying from, Sears, Lowes,or HomeDepot free enterprise ? :)
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

Being the only one on this board who actually works for an appliance manufacturer (I assume), I say, "Buy, buy, buy!" This will be job security for me... although my employee discount will make the program moot for me. I just wonder if the rebates will be taxable as income like the Cash for Clunkers discounts are? :?
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
CoffeeDan

Post by CoffeeDan »

What's next? "Cash for Empties"?
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

"Cash for Empties" was a private corporate run program that put many a nickle in the pocket of the boys of the '50s, if memory serves me correctly. :lol:
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.