This Is Dedicated to the Ones We Love

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
rudyfan

Re: This Is Dedicated to the Ones We Love

Post by rudyfan »

This is a fascinating discussion!

Count me among the camp who did not find Timothy Dalton a good Rochester. The recent PBS was also not great, but I liked the Jane. How I wish that Alan Rickman (thump thump) played Rochester, even only reading it, I'd be swooning all over the place.

The 1944 film is also so memorable to me for the moody lighting/cinematography and the effective and evocative score by Bernard Hermann I feel so much the same about the later film, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. A very terrifying Grace Poole, much more effective here than in any other Jane Eyre I can recall. Houseman's screenplay is also wonderful if not 100% true to the book. it works for me.

It is one of the few films in which I find Fontaine palatable. In musing on the Fox stable of actresses at the time, I can't think of anyone in 1944 in their roster who could have done justice to the film.

The rest of the casting is terrific, including the always wonderful Agnes Moorhead as Mrs. Reed. The only casting I can't take is Margaret O'Brien as Adele. She's, I guess, perfect, but I find her appearences so jarring and out of step with the moodiness, it takes me out of the film. Peggy Ann Garner is wonderful as the young Jane and Elizabeth Taylor as the impossibly beautiful Helen is spellbinding.

I would absolutely LOVE to hear the radio broadcast with Welles and Moorhead. :( To derail to Agnes, I always felt she was underused, but I will watch anything, even the dreckiest Sirkian opus just to enjoy her.
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Good morning Judith,

I seem to remember someone telling me that Walter Brennan (my favorite character actor also) had either been nominated for, or had won, four Oscars as Best Supporting Actor. There doesn't seem to be any information to verify the statement at either TCMdb or IMDb. Can you somehow confirm or deny the statement ? In my humble opinion, he was more than worthy of the award more than four times as he left an indelible impression upon almost every film he appeared in. Thanks so much.

Hollis
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

According to the IMDB, Walter Brennan was nominated for four supporting actor Oscars, and won three of the four. :)
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Speaking of multiple nominations and Oscars, here's a May 12 birthday:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

And the mature Kate in The Glass Menagerie (a very different take on Amanda Wingfield)

[youtube][/youtube]
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I think the two Hepburn movies I haven't seen is "The Iron Petticoat" and "Love Among The Ruins." How is that for a disparity in quality? "Petticoat" was among the worst things she ever did. Maybe that is why I have never seen it. No one wants to show it.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

May 20 is the birthday of an unjustly forgotten comic actress, who unfortunately died very young.

Here is Lyda Roberti, as Mata Machree (The Woman No Man Can Resist) in Million Dollar Legs (1932). There are other scenes as well from this great screwball comedy in this clip, and the entire movie can be found on YouTube.
[youtube][/youtube]
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

June 16th is the birthday of one of my favorite people.

The incomparable Stan Laurel (and his friend ain't bad, either) -- Scene from Men O' War (an early soundie for L&H)
[youtube][/youtube]
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I'm embarrassed for having forgotten it. I have an old TV copy of that one. It's a fun short.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

June 29 is the birthday of one of cinema's most creative and influential figures: producer, director, special effects wiz and stop-motion animation genius

Ray Harryhausen
Here's one of his most popular sequences, from Jason and the Argonauts
[youtube][/youtube]
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I'm not a "blood and sandals" kind of movie-goer, but that is one incredible sequence. If you turn off the cheesy dialog, it's even better! :lol: :lol:
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

As a matter of fact, if you jettisoned the plot and dialogue altogether, and just had those wonderful animated characters doing their little bits of business, it would be an even better movie. Same for Clash of the Titans.

I was looking at this sequence today, and thinking that it has the same attention to detail in the movement of the skeletons and the interaction of the real and non-real characters as you would find in vintage Disney animation. Just imagine how much work went into that brief segment. Mr. Harryhausen must be one laid-back, together kind of dude.
klondike

Post by klondike »

No discussion of Harryhausen's brilliance & ingenuity can be complete without a heartfelt (if brief) bow to his 1969 masterwork:

[youtube][/youtube]
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

August 6th birthday salute:

Lucille Ball
[youtube][/youtube]
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Just in case MongoJoe misses it tomorrow, I don't want August 26 to go by without a birthday nod to my favorite cowboy

Jim Davis