Agnes Moorehead

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Garbomaniac

Re: Aggie's Place -- Open 24 Hours

Post by Garbomaniac »

I love Agnes! I especially love her in MINK or ERMINE or SABLE! She was SUCH a STAR! Keep the photos coming!
Professional Tourist

Re: Agnes Moorehead

Post by Professional Tourist »

Last edited by Professional Tourist on February 17th, 2011, 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Well, I certainly understand that! Everyone needs as much money as they can get, More even! I love Agnes in ANYTHING, but I especially loved her when she was being regal. With Hedy Lamarr in Her Highness and the Bellboy, she was marvelous as the uppity "nurse maid" to the princess. And, in The Swan, she was marvelous as the queen. I loved her as the Baroness in Mrs. Parkington, and as the countess in The Opposite Sex, she was great!
Professional Tourist

Last edited by Professional Tourist on February 17th, 2011, 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

That second photo, in glasses, under the lamp - she's let her face go 'plain'. Almost flawless and line-less, hardly any indication from her eyes, lips or her normally lined face to betray or convey her words. Then in other photos, her face conveys so much - far beyond whatever her words might be. I'd certainly grown up with her on BEWITCHED, and always short-changed her so incredibly. Now after 20 years with her films, I remain amazed at her face's power.
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

No doubt about it, Angie was a GREAT actress who could do sooo much. Funny how she did like Bette. The art and the role were everything!
Professional Tourist

Last edited by Professional Tourist on February 17th, 2011, 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Professional Tourist

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

You tell 'em, PT!

Miss Moorehead may have been rather stagy and even over the top sometimes, but ham? I never, ever, once thought "ham" about any of her performances. She could be very "theatrical" onscreen, but I never had the sense that she was not in control of her performance, and I've never been put off by anything she did. Even if I may not have agreed with her performance choices in some instances, those choices are never off-putting, and I've always enjoyed watching her.

I think this may be a case of a moviegoer who is used to the minimalist approach (read: lack of acting skills) of today's crop of actors, and is made uncomfortable by performances that dig deep.

I'll take Aggie over the mystifyingly highly-touted Anne Hathaway any day. Sheesh!
Professional Tourist

Last edited by Professional Tourist on January 14th, 2011, 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Professional Tourist

Last edited by Professional Tourist on January 14th, 2011, 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Professional Tourist

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I certainly can't add anything to your remarks about Agnes in Mrs. Parkington other than to say I believe she takes over every scene she is in. You did mention the bedroom scene, but go a little further to when she enters Susies' room. I think she goes in there planning a little chicanery but sees this pathetic little bird and takes a liking to her which last their lifetimes.

I can't really say much about her that hasn't already been said here except somebody mentioned overplaying in The Magnificent Ambersons. As much as I dislike Citizen Kane, is how much I like TMA. You must remember in Ambersons, Agnes is really a phoney, so her breakdowns, and crying scenes are put on for her audience there in the movie more than the audience watching the movie. Everything she says and does is for attention whether good or bad because she is the discarded old maid who thought was going to get Joe Cotton after his girlfriend married someone else. The only one who ignores her silliness is her brother who treats her as she should be treated (a silly self indulgent fool).
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Professional Tourist

Last edited by Professional Tourist on February 17th, 2011, 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.