To Dream of Dogs

Chit-chat, current events
sandykaypax

Re: To Dream of Dogs

Post by sandykaypax »

Nancy, that was so sweet it brought tears to my eyes! But, then again, I am a sap when it comes to dogs (and cats).

Sandy K
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hi Sandy! You've been missed in a big big way!!!!!

That little guy is so happy, and the love he shows Roscoe is amazing. I laughed out loud when he opened Roscoe's mouth and stuck his face inside.. so funny.
Welcome back or welcome HOME. Stick around!!!!!

Nancy
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Nancy, thanks for the warm welcome!

I had an incredibly busy summer--I am the director of 2 drama camps, I performed in 2 shows, and was the stage manager for a teen production of Les Mis--so I haven't even lurked on this site since May. I'm having fun catching up with posts.

Sandy K
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

My friend Laura brought this link to my attention. This series of videos added to the Mental Floss website show the spontaneous reactions of several dogs to their human's returns from Iraq and Afghanistan.

Get out your hankies. Bet you can't stop the waterworks. I sure couldn't. The last compilation is of fathers reuniting with their children and that just kills, so you've been warned.

Videos of Dog's Welcoming Home Their Humans from Military Service
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
klondike

Post by klondike »

To God -- From, The Dog

Dear God: Why do humans smell the flowers, but seldom, if ever, smell one another?

Dear God: When we get to heaven, can we sit on your couch? Or is it still the same old story?

Dear God: If a dog barks his head off in the forest and no human hears him, is he still a bad dog?

Dear God: We dogs can understand human verbal instructions, hand signals, whistles, barometric changes, horns, clickers, scent ID's, electromagnetic energy fields, and Frisbee flight paths. What do humans understand?

Dear God: More meatballs, less spaghetti, please.

Dear God: Are there mailmen in Heaven? If there are, will I have to apologize?

Dear God: Let me give you a list of just some of the things I must remember - to be a good dog.

1. I will not roll on dead seagulls, fish, crabs, deer carcasses, etc., just because I like the way they smell;

3. The sofa is not a 'face towel'.. neither are laps;

4. The garbage collector is not stealing our stuff;

5. My head does not belong in the refrigerator;

6. I will not bite the officer's hand when he reaches in for Mom's driver's license and registration;

7. I will not play tug-of-war with Dad's shorts when he's on the toilet;

8. I must shake the rainwater out of my fur before entering the house - not after;

9. The cat is not a squeak toy - when he's in my mouth making that sound, it's probably not a good thing . . .

And, finally, God, my last question . .

When I get to Heaven, can I have my testicles back?
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

That was priceless, which, come to think of it, describes dogs too. Thank you.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

3. The sofa is not a 'face towel'.. neither are laps;

This makes me laugh. As a boy, our family raised Borzoi's (Russian Wolfhounds) which are like large versions of Afghans, or long-haired versions of greyhounds. Incredibly friendly animals - they'd never met any human who didn't deserve to pet them, I thought.

Over the years, we had about 20 of them, and they all loved to have their faces rubbed, gently, from their snouts to their backs of their head, and between couch-pads was a PERFECT 2-sided rubbing surface for them.

So were crotches. And for human males, getting a forehead mashed into one's crotch was seldom a tolerable event. Of course, the dogs normally lived outside anyway, so the need for a keeping a deft hand wasn't that needy except playing with them in the yard.

Except for one certain night...

It was a party evening, women in long dresses, some with gowns. Some were flowing, some tight. In the dogs' educational system, they'd learned learned to slip their long noses under the hem of a dress, flip it upwards, and then jam their heads under a woman's skirt for face-rubbings. In the woman's crotch or backside. It didn't make much difference to the dogs, but it was ALL bad for humans.

Particularly in their finest dresses, when one of our dogs was inside the house and, after being ignored for a while, she decided "Fine - the humans won't pet me, I'll just pet myself..."

And proceeded to toss up a long, loose skirt and jam her head into this woman's backside. All in a split second. Cold, wet nose and all.

A loud shriek, a cocktail glass throw skyward splattering several, arms flapping backwards "like a goose doing a backstroke," as my father would later describe it. He would also concede that the woman was never mollified, not so much because of the dog's, uh, intrusion, but the hilarity and joke-making the other humans bestowed on her. "And it couldn't have happened to a nicer person," he'd conclude.
moira finnie
Administrator

Humphrey Bogart Goes to the Dogs

Post by moira finnie »

The other day I came across this photo in Mongo's great Candids thread:
mongoII wrote:Image
Comfy, cozy threesome
Since this is Humphrey Bogart's Birthday month, I began to think about the fact that wives seemed to come and go in the actor's life, but he was definitely a serial dog lover, as you can see below. Maybe they shared a similar sense of humor or perhaps he just knew these pups were a lot more trustworthy than critics, hangers on and studio types...enjoy!

As you can see, eventually that boxer, whose name was "Harvey" was joined by several more of his kind

Earlier in his life, Bogart was apparently enamored of various canines, not just large breeds:

A sullen looking 18 year old Bogart snuggling with a small, unidentifiable pup while posing with a pipe and a car behind him.

I think this is a joke...no other Great Dane seems to have popped up in photos. Maybe he was just visiting from the prop room?

Scotties seemed to have gained the upper hand in Bogart's household early in his years in LA. Maybe they didn't mind the guns?

Or perhaps they advised Bogie on "The Scottish Defense" in chess?

This little guy seems to have visited Chez Bogart sometime in the '30s

This was a Newfoundland named "Cappy," who wormed his way into Bogart's heart, along around the time that Mayo Methot entered the scene. They look pretty happy with Cappy between them.

The Scots are still there...

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Beautiful photos!

I saw a beautiful Great Pyraneese at the hospital this week. Sabastian, a therapy dog, was as much hair as dog, I think. I'm sure he weighed much more than my Daisy once I found him under all that fur! I petted (okay, hugged) him in the lobby and he cheered me up a lot during a worried time.
Birdy
klondike

Post by klondike »

A Letter to My Dogs

Dear Dogs,

When I say to move, it means go someplace else, not switch positions with each other so there are still two dogs in the way.

The stairway was not designed by NASCAR and is not a racetrack. Beating me to the bottom is not the object. Tripping me doesn't help, because I fall faster than you can run.

I cannot buy anything bigger than a king size bed. I am very sorry about this. Do not think I will continue to sleep on the couch to ensure your comfort. Look at videos of dogs sleeping, they can actually curl up in a ball. It is not necessary to sleep perpendicular to each other stretched out to the fullest extent possible. I also know that sticking tails straight out and having tongues hanging out the other end to maximize space used is nothing but doggy sarcasm.

My compact discs are not miniature Frisbees.

For the last time, there is not a secret exit from the bathroom. If by some miracle I beat you there and manage to get the door shut, it is not necessary to claw, whine, try to turn the knob, or get your paw under the edge and try to pull the door open. I must exit through the same door I entered. In addition, I have been using bathrooms for years, canine attendance is not mandatory.

The proper order is kiss me, then go smell the other dogs butt. I cannot stress this enough. It would be such a simple change for you.

Sincerely,
Your Overwhelmed Owner
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I bet YOU wrote this! It was hilarious. Thanks. Hope your dogs can read it and take it to heart.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Thanks Klonny. I needed a good laugh.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
klondike

Post by klondike »

moirafinnie wrote:I bet YOU wrote this! It was hilarious. Thanks. Hope your dogs can read it and take it to heart.
I can neither affirm nor deny your suspicions.
But I can say "You're welcome."
If you enjoyed that, you might get a kick out of this:

Supposing Dogs wrote for television in the 50's & 60's, which of the following Western Dramas would have been the most Popular?

Chienne
Waggin' Train
Bone Anza
Havanese, Will Travel
Cat Master's Son
Death Valley Strays
Wild, Wild Westie

Discuss!
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Klondike,
Might I add an edit to my copy of your letter?

It is not necessary to threaten to eat a cat while I'm dishing out your food. It will not cause me to feed you any faster.

Klonny - I'm leaving this wide open for you to make all kind of cat-murder jokes here. Be kind. Most of the time the cats make nice pillows and heating pads for my dogs!

Birdy
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Oh, no. Not another episode of Cats vs. Dogs! Can't we please get along? Even that guy on kitty's shoulder looks pretty happy. If they can find a way, surely there's enough love for all creatures great and small?

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks