De-Lovely

mrsl

De-Lovely

Post by mrsl »

being a small child with a sense of rhythm and a good memory for lyrics at the tail end of the Big Band era left me luckily with an appreciation of really good music. I was a normal teenager, except for liking C&W while living in Chicago, but I had a few Rock favorites also, like Avalon, Fabian, Elvis, etc. But I always had the 'older' guys to fall back on like Sinatra, Crosby and the Glenn MIller music (which I still prefer to any other dance band). Also, Dad had a small band with his brothers and cousins who played for weddings and other celebrations, and they practiced at our house so I knew those old songs by heart.

I saw Ashley Judd when she was pushing this movie on Dave or Jay, but movies appear and disappear so quickly that I soon forgot about it, until it popped up on one of my paid channels today. I wasn't aware it was a more accurate version of Cole Porter's life. Oddly they refer to, and play a clip from the Cary Grant version in this movie. The love story is still probably pretty overdone, but who knows . . . . (I know until the day he died, when Mr L walked into the room, my heart still did a little flutter). Ashley is good in nearly everything she does and of course, so is Kevin Kline. The make-up on him is remarkable. Even in closeups, he really looks aged. I was surprised to learn that one of the facts put forward in the Cary Grant movie was the the close association between Monty Woolley and Cole Porter. Monty actually was a professor at Yale when he left to take a stab at acting and remained lifelong friends with Porter.

I'm not sure which of you other ladies here is the one who has such a fondness for the clothing of the 1930's. Whoever it is has got to see this movie, if only to see the outfits that Ashley Judd wears. I don't know if the costumer won any awards for this but she/he should have. The clothing was point-on perfect, with all the satins and lace, no bra, and hobble skirts. Then, finally there are all those wonderful Cole Porter songs, sung as rehearsal sessions, by people portraying Broadway stars of the 30's. I didn't get any of them and I wondered who Ms Morrison was supposed to be. Oh, yes, I did get the one who did Ethel Merman, she even sounded like her although a little too slim to look like her.

The movie itself is too long, and at times you want to push it along. The story is interesting, but the director and editor should have cut out some of the love scenes (not bed scenes, just speaking scenes). Other than that, I can't figure what else could have been cut, except the ones with Cole and his male lovers, because they did a good job of getting that idea across by having him and Monty going to singles type places.

It will probably be on several more times this month, and if you like the music, or want to check out the 1930's atmosphere, this is a good solution for you.

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Birdy

Re: De-Lovely

Post by Birdy »

Anne, Thanks for the nice review. I was very intrigued by the subject of this movie and looking forward to the costumes, scenes, etc. but wasn't sure. If you enjoyed it, I might so will check it out when I get a chance. I thought the love scenes might be too sticky!
B