The whiny thread

Chit-chat, current events
mrsl

Re: The whiny thread

Post by mrsl »

Brenda:

Here I am complaining about how self-servient Leno is, and I never asked about you. I'm really sorry about my lack of seeming concern. But I'm glad things have gone better for you than expected.

Judith:

I'm really with you, but, with my bad back, bad legs, and insomnia, I often watch either Conan or Dave to break off from the movies and one hour dramas I DVR because I'm not really ready for sleep until around 2:00 a.m. In that respect I have to mention Craig Ferguson who follows Dave Letterman on CBS. I discovered him just around Christmas and find him refreshing. He's an ex-drunk and addict, straight from Scotland who has chosen to become a U.S. citizen. He's constantly saying what a great country America is. In fact, his opening statement every night is "What a great day for America". He speaks with his Scottish accent and he is often crass, self-degrading, and once in a while, hard to understand, due to his accent. But even when he does or says something off color, he follows with some remark or action that is reminiscent of a naughty Huckleberry Finn. IF you're ever up around that late night, time - - check him out.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
klondike

Post by klondike »

Annie, ya ha'nt seen nothin' til you experience Craig Ferguson hosting Scottish comedian/actor/musician (and fellow Glasgow expatriate) Billy Connolly!
Admittedly, between their UK figures of speech, Glaswegian inflections, frequent pidgin Gaelic and incessant cackling, the two of 'em are only about 3/4 discernible, but just watching them hooting away at each other over their half-remembered private jokes & bawdy asides puts me on the floor!
By the way, Dear, in Scotland, every person past puberty, except for religious extremists and a few transplanted Englishmen, are raging drunks at least twice a week . . just goes without saying. :wink:
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Yes, I like Ferguson, altough I am rarely awake at that hour and never remember to record.

But that's the trouble, as I see it. Late-night talk shows in days of yore were all like Ferguson's show -- that's why they were on late at night. As advertisers encroach more and more on our time in a desperate bid for attention, the hours of programming consisting of pointless blandness and endless barrages of commercials assault us later and later into the night. And, as we all know, people like and believe what television tells them to like and believe, so the viewing public at large thinks that The Tonight Show With Jay Leno is cutting=edge entertainment. Feh.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Klondike:

I went kind of softly because I didn't want people here to think I'm even more of a nut than I've already proven to be, but Ferguson has had me falling to the floor quite often already. I worry that my neighbors might come crashing in some time if they should hear me gasping for air when I laugh so hard, I wear myself out. I love his puppets too, and you're right, I probably couldn't handle him with Connolly, each of them alone is enough, I dread to think of the two of them together!!!!!!!!
Anne

Birdy

Post by Birdy »

I broke my wrist Thursday and had surgery Saturday. I am doing okay. My mom is typing this. Miss you.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Oh, you poor dear! I am so sorry to hear this. Thank your mom for keeping us informed, I truly wish we had the "beam me up Scotty" button on this forum, I'd be over with chicken soup or something you could eat one handed.... :lol:
How did this happen?

aw shucks, I'm bummed for sure now.

best to you, dear friend!
Nancy
feaito

Post by feaito »

I wish you a prompt recovery Birdy. Best. Fernando
klondike

Post by klondike »

Birdy wrote:I broke my wrist Thursday and had surgery Saturday. I am doing okay. My mom is typing this. Miss you.
I'm betting that tomorrow is going to feel much better than either Thursday or Saturday.
And Birdy, I'm sincerely hoping every day after that feels better than the one before.
Heal.
Feel better.
And if you can't write, at least don't stop reading!
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Yeouch! That sounds terrible. I wish I felt like hearing more details, but I'm in agony over this. I know sympathy pains don't help one bit. Uh, you can do what I do - I blame MissG or CineMaven all the time. (No, it really doesn't help me, by the way. They usually don't even know I've done it - which is probably wise.)
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Rest well, Birdy.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

Oh Miss Birdy... so sorry, kid. Praying for a swift recovery, young'un. Take care.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Good gravy, Miss B, you are having a run of bad luck! Maybe you can take some small comfort in that old wives' tale about how bad luck always comes in bunches. This is bound to pass in the near future. Get well soon.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Birdy, I'm so sorry, get well soon.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Well, blame my senior moments on lack of conscienceness. How did I miss your notice of breaking your wrist? It followed my last post so I must have just skimmed right over it.

I hope it gets better soon and if you have a cast on your arm, May It Not Itch :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Anne

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Birdy, please nurse that broken wing.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks