HEAD's up tonight -- on TCM Underground

Discussion of programming on TCM.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Dewey:

Being a fan of C&W, I heard a lot of guitar music, but nobody struck me like
Duane Eddy did. I think the reason is that he played music on the guitar that you could actually
dance to. It's like drums. A group of kids were over one night, and my
Dad had left his drums out. One of the boys played drums, and he sat and played, only the
beat, no accompanying instruments, but we did the cha-cha, jitterbug, the stroll, etc., for hours.
To dance, all you need is the beat, and Duane did that, his guitar was the lead, not accompaniest like
most, so his guitar was what you hear in his music, not the other stuff.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Check out Link Wray's boss hit "Rumble" from 1958:

Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Anne, here's a special bonus for ya: Mr. Duane Eddy himself doing his ultra-boss hit, "Rebel Rouser!"

Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

And for good measure, Dick Dale and the Del Tones (!!!) with their classic "Misirlou."

benwhowell

Electric Blues/An Old Fashioned Melody...

Post by benwhowell »

I really enjoyed revisiting the '60's with "Head." An ecclectic mix of spoof, psychedelic/avant-garde/camp/pop art imagery, biting commentary on television ("the box,") cool cameos (Was that Tor Johnson as a security guard?) and groovy tunes! (Peter Tork even whistled a few bars of "Strawberry Fields Forever.")
I love it that Zappa's cow quoted Lew Lehr-"Monkeys is the cwaziest people!" I wonder if this inspired David Lynch to promote his last film, "Inland Empire," by hanging out on Hollywood Boulevard with a cow?

If I had to pick my favorite "eras" for subversive filmmaking, I'd have to pick the pre codes and the films of the '60's(from underground films to major Hollywood productions.) They seem to have the right mix of social commentary, pop culture and a rebellious, free spirited attitude.