srowley75

Re: Barbara Walters ends her Oscar Specials

Post by srowley75 »

[youtube][/youtube]

It is on YouTube. Enjoy, everyone.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Oh, if only Hepburn had taken a swing at Walters. Now that would have been great television!
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

On this one I side with Walters. It's not like Walters just asked out of the blue, "So, what kind of tree are you?" like the myth implies. It was Hepburn who said she was a strong something…tree so it's not illogical for Walters to ask what kind, especially the way the conversation was flowing. And Hepburn actually reflects on the question and answers it, first with a joke and then for real. There are way too many stories of Hepburn not suffering fools that if the question was as silly as it sounds out of context, Hepburn surely would have said so, or maybe even gotten up and left.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

MichiganJ wrote:On this one I side with Walters. It's not like Walters just asked out of the blue, "So, what kind of tree are you?" like the myth implies. It was Hepburn who said she was a strong something…tree so it's not illogical for Walters to ask what kind, especially the way the conversation was flowing. And Hepburn actually reflects on the question and answers it, first with a joke and then for real. There are way too many stories of Hepburn not suffering fools that if the question was as silly as it sounds out of context, Hepburn surely would have said so, or maybe even gotten up and left.
I wasn't talking about the tree question, Mish -- I meant generally. :wink:
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

I think I might've simply followed Hepburn's statement about herself with "In what way are you like a tree" or (a rather less surreal-sounding question) "What do you mean by that" rather than "What kind of a tree are you," but that's just me (and it could be that a simple explanation was really what Walters was actually driving at, but that she just misspoke). And that's if I'd have chosen to respond with anything at all - I wonder if Walters had given Hepburn a little more time to finish her thought, then maybe she'd have clarified what she was trying to say. Or if we'd have heard more of the conversation leading into Hepburn's statement, it might've shed more light into just what Hepburn meant - though I think it's easy to draw conclusions even from that brief snippet.