Daria: The Complete Series on May 11

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
srowley75

Daria: The Complete Series on May 11

Post by srowley75 »

According to TV Shows on DVD. This has long been one of my most anticipated DVD releases - I hope to God I have a job by then. I thought it would be too much to hope for if the studio would release only the first season this year, but as it happens it looks like they're not wasting time with it.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Daria- ... ries/13322

If you like animated comedy programs, by all means, give this one a chance - at least add it to your NetFlix queue. Outside of Dobie Gillis, it's the best comedy series about high school and the lives of teenagers.
jdb1

Re: Daria: The Complete Series on May 11

Post by jdb1 »

This is the best news I've heard all year!!!! Daria has something for everyone -- both kids and adults. I second Stephen's recommendation -- the series is hip and smart, but also satisfyingly silly and sometimes even "cartoonish." There isn't a single character in it who doesn't ring true. And the fact that the series focuses not only on the trials of adolescence, but the trials of adolescent girls who also happen to be very smart, makes it stand out even more.

The voice actors are really wonderful. Everyone loves Daria's cynical, disaffected voice (rumored to be based on Jeaneane Garafalo), but my favorite aspect is the voice of Daria's mother and younger sister (the same actress for both, I think). You just have to hear how the two characters say the words "Daria" and "Mom." They are so funny, yet so believable.
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

Glad someone else was as delighted by this news as I. :D

My sister and I both adore this show - I wish it'd been broadcast while I was in high school because it'd have been a great encouragement and confidence-booster to me. It's wonderful that a series finally came along that made the unpopular teen the savvy and witty protagonist, rather than the pathetic and annoying brunt of all the jokes (as did the teen shows I grew up with, such as Saved by the Bell, Square Pegs, Family Matters, any number of John Hughes films, etc.)

My sister has always found Daria's stressed-out father to be the funniest character on the show, but I enjoy the spineless, self-conscious pseudo-intellectual English teacher Mr. O'Neill (who leads a self-esteem support group for socially awkward teens whose names he can never remember) and authoritarian principal Ms. Angela Li (whose constant concern is bringing honor and acclaim to the high school). And yes, the true-to-life characters had to have been key to the show's success. I don't remember ever seeing teachers depicted in such a way on TV, and yet I remember having high school and college teachers with character quirks very similar to the basketcases of Lawndale High.
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

For those who are interested, the show is now available for pre-order:

$50.99 ain't too bad a price for 65 episodes and special features, but experience has taught me to wait for a DVD review before buying.