What Price Glory? (1926) on TCM in May!

Gagman 66

What Price Glory? (1926) on TCM in May!

Post by Gagman 66 »

:o The much anticipated May TCM slate is just up. There is real news. It sure seems like THE BIG PARADE is never shown, except on Memorial Day. But it least it's running again. Even if it doesn't figure to be the 2004 restoration I have been waiting 6 years to see on TCM. If that were the case, one the list time would be longer and two, it would have hopefully gotten a Prime-time showcase rather than on Silent Sunday's.

:shock: The really Big and I do mean BIG surprise is the premier of WHAT PRICE GLORY? (1926)! That has never ever been shown on TCM before. It was on the old AMC in 1996, but is rarely on TV. Probably not shown anywhere since that time? so this is huge. I hope it's a nicely restored print. The version is 1996 looked good, and it was the 1930 Re-issue with a Fox Movie-tone score. But it could still be better with a fresh broadcast master. This is a pretty remarkable development because the movie is not on DVD anyplace. Could mean that TCM is at long last getting a hold of more of the Silents from the Fox library.

:) In addition, they are running CAPTAIN SALVATION and THE BETTER OLE' and BEAU BRUMMEL, during the month, so it looks like more of the Warner Archive Silents that have already been released, are starting to resurface now. If they would only run THE VIKING. This was supposed to have been offered by Warner Archive. It took them awhile to list it, and now it is not listed again at all as available for purchase?
drednm

Re: What Price Glory? (1926) on TCM in May!

Post by drednm »

Good news Jeff. I already have these films but it's good TCM is showing them. Do we know what version of The Big Parade is being shown. The score? This is one of the most emotionally draining films I've ever seen... a masterpiece. Beautiful performances by John Gilbert and Renee Adoree.

For anyone who hasn't seen this film, this TCM showing is a must!