May Schedule for TCM is Up

Discussion of programming on TCM.
markfp

Re: May Schedule for TCM is Up

Post by markfp »

JackFavell wrote:I'm excited to see:
...but most of all, I am thrilled to see The Rising of the Moon on the schedule
Me too. The last time I saw THE RISING OF THE MOON, or what is often referred to it as John Ford's "other" Irish film was on TV in the 1970's and I don't think it's been shown since.

After his experience in Ireland, while making THE QUIET MAN, Ford returned to make a film shot entirely there and with an all Irish cast (the exception being an introduction by Tyrone Power) to boost the Irish film industry. While not a Ford "biggy" it's certainly well worth watching. My only disappointment is that while filmed in the beautiful Irish countryside, it was shot in black & white.

Two other rarely shown films by major directors showing in May and not to be missed are David Lean's THE SOUND BARRIER (1952) and Carol Reed's delightful A KID FOR TWO FARTHINGS (1955).

Films like this trio just aren't going to be seen anyplace but TCM.
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

Spoiled brat that I am, I won't be delighted until we finally get The Chapman Report and Claudelle Inglish on the schedule. I guess I've had TCM for too long and have managed to DVD-R most of what I've wanted from the current crop.

But I'm still extremely grateful for the channel. The March Akira Kurosawa festival is alone worth the cost of cable for the entire month.
intothenitrate

Post by intothenitrate »

What Price Hollywood is definitely worth seeing. It's like a lot of these films we love: some viewers today might read that synopsis and think, "How cliche," not realizing that it's actually source material for all of the intervening cliches that followed.

In WPH, Lowell Sherman plays a...wait for it..alcoholic director. I just saw him in an earlier film The Royal Bed, playing the father of spring chicken Mary Astor. His on-screen slurring and weaving is quite conspicuous. In WPH, Constance Bennett doesn't have to dig deep to show her concern and care for Sherman. It's really moving and sympathetic and real.
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
intothenitrate

Post by intothenitrate »

srowley75 wrote: ... I guess I've had TCM for too long and have managed to DVD-R most of what I've wanted from the current crop... But I'm still extremely grateful for the channel. The March Akira Kurosawa festival is alone worth the cost of cable for the entire month.
I had to give up my cable when I was unemployed, and just started working again recently. While "on the dole," I went through my TCM-DVD-R collection--virtually end to end--to support my "TV time." It was like, every day was a Turner dream lineup. Now I'm waiting for a really good month to compel me get the hook-up again. [But to be honest, laying off cable news has done me a world of good.]
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Is anyone familiar with NAVAJO JOE (1967) being shown on May 7 at 2:45am CST (that's May 6 in TCM Time)? It's directed by Sergio Corbucci who, the following year, directed THE GREAT SILENCE, a film some of us love. Two thumbs up, down, or sideways?
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Two thumbs up, down, or sideways?
On Navajo Joe? Sideways. It's been YEARS since I have seen it but it doesn't resonate in my memory the way other films that I think highly of.

I'll be watching to see if my memory is faulty.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

ChiO

Post by ChiO »

it doesn't resonate in my memory the way other films that I think highly of.
Well, I suppose few would ever claim that Burt Reynolds is as memorable (fully dressed and in a movie) as Klaus Kinski. I figured you and Mr. Arkadin to be the most likely suspects to have seen both. What say ye, Mr. Arkadin? Unless someone trashes it, it'll probably be recorded and placed in the ever-expanding-pile-of-unwatched-DVDs-that's-about-to-bury-the-TV.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

ever-expanding-pile-of-unwatched-DVDs-that's-about-to-bury-the-TV.
aaaarrrrrgh! You too? I thought I was being obsessive with my new recorder. I love recording favorites, then never seem to have the time to watch them. It's all your fault (whoever is reading this :D ) for making this joint so much fun.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

ChiO wrote:Is anyone familiar with NAVAJO JOE (1967) being shown on May 7 at 2:45am CST (that's May 6 in TCM Time)? It's directed by Sergio Corbucci who, the following year, directed THE GREAT SILENCE, a film some of us love. Two thumbs up, down, or sideways?
Corbucci made three movies at this time, the best being the legendary Django (1966). Navajo Joe is a significantly lesser film, but it's not completely awful by any means. After all, Ennio Morricone does the score.

Verdict: Sideways
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

[youtube][/youtube]