WHAT SILENTS & PRE-CODES HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

pvitari

Re: WHAT SILENTS & PRE-CODES HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by pvitari »

When it comes to petite silent era ladies wielding a whip, Janet Gaynor really beats the tar out of Gladys Brockwell in 7th Heaven. ;)

As for Romola, I wasn't watching it so much for Gish (sorry, Lillian!) but for Colman -- which made it a double disappointment, since his role was so negligible. :)

Re the silent Beau Geste, I have a copy but it's in even worse shape than Romola. :(
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Yesterday I went to see The Lightning Rider (1924, L. Ingraham) with Harry Carey and Virginia Browne-Fair. This small budget western shows a masked cavalier who ransoms the local people. But the unassuming Philip Morgan (H. Carey) is going to unmask him by using the same technique: wearing a black mask and cape... Harry Carey had already appeared in many silent westerns (including several Ford pictures) when he made this Lightning Rider. The film is handsome to look at and shows the talent of its lead. Though Harry Carey doesn't have the magnetism of a Wm S. Hart, he has enough talent and skill to fill the screen. The villain is played by Léon Bary (who played with Fairbanks in The Three Musketeers). Virginia Browne-Fair is excited by this masked cavalier until she discovers that he is a nasty. If I had not known that the film was from 1924, I would have thought it was a triangle production from 1917. Actually Ingraham directed many of these. The print I saw was really good, sharp and contrasted. Not a masterpiece, but enjoyable.
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

pivtari,

:o I have a pretty good copy of BEAU GESTE from laser-disc. Likely processed from a 16 millimeter source print. And I added my own very carefully compiled score to it. Which I think is much better than allot of specifically composed scores for Silents these day. However, according to David Shepard there are 35 Millimeter Safety-Stock transfers of this film at both the Museum of Modern Art, and the Library of Congress, each processed from quote "Perfect Nitrate". In-fact, people who have seen these claim that it is some of the best looking print material that exists of any Silent. So the film does not need restoration, but does need to be made ready in a digital or broadcast format. And there is no recorded score. I have heard pieces of the original Hugo Reisenfeld score that was used for Theater Organ and live Orchestra during the 20's, and it is spectacular. After THE BIG PARADE, BEAU GESTE is my most wanted Silent for an official DVD release. Don't know if it's ever even been considered. Knowing Paramount/Viacom, this seems extremely unlikely. The best we can hope for is the film might be leased to Criterion as the Von Sternberg's have been.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I have screencapped Clash of the Wolves, which is a super-fun Rin Tin Tin movie, starring (besides Rin Tin Tin and his mate Nanette), Charles Farrell, June Marlowe (the future Our Gang Miss Crabtree) and Pat Hartigan as a villain you'll just love to hate. It's at http://www.paulasmoviepage.shutterfly.com

You've got a Boy and His Dog

The Girl and the dog

The Villain

Mix, stir, bake... fun, action, pathos, thrills and romance served up in a very taste cake!

Did I mention... puppies!!!

drednm

Post by drednm »

Great screen caps. I have never seen a Rin Tin Tin movie but remember him from TV, and I always liked June Marlowe as Miss Crabtree. I'm surprised she (Marlowe) didn't have a bigger career.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh my gosh, those are wonderful!
drednm

Post by drednm »

Is that Charles Farrell with the dog and bouquet?
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

drednm wrote:Is that Charles Farrell with the dog and bouquet?
But of course. :) One interesting thing about this movie is that even though this is Farrell's first leading role, and there was no Farrell persona yet, the character of Dave Weston is extremely Farrell-ish. He's a big, strong guy who has no fear of tangling with a wounded half dog-half wolf (poor Rinty with a thorn in his paw -- Farrell is his Androcles here) or jumping the villain hoping to get the gun from him, but when it comes to girls, Dave is all thoughtfulness and romance. In one of my favorite bits right at the end of the movie, he even HOLDS THE PARASOL for May! (June Marlowe). What a guy. :)

drednm

Post by drednm »

What make you think he's not holding the parasol for himself?
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Well, maybe for both of them, but definitely NOT just for himself. Dave is far too much of a gentleman. :)
drednm

Post by drednm »

LOL... ok you win...
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Just a note about all my fave pre-codes with Fred and Ginger on tonight. I think Flying Down to Rio and The Gay Divorcee, 34 qualify.

Great fun, music, dancing and wit.
A great night of tv!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

i forgot just how much I like Gay Divorcee.

The more I watch Erik Rhodes (from Oklahoma), the more I like him. The scene where he calls his wife to tell her what his new client looks like is funny and wistfully sad all at the same time. Poor Tonetti.
drednm

Post by drednm »

Did Erik Rhodes ever play a non-accent role?? I can't recall one...
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I don't think so... but then again, I can't remember ever seeing him in anything but the Astaire-Rogers stuff. He just really cracked me up last night.