Channel 4 names 50 top Brit actresses

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

Channel 4 names 50 top Brit actresses

Post by stuart.uk »

UKs Channel 4 has named it's top 50 actresses, but it's not anthing like the same as mine. I think younger people must have put this list together.

Here's their top 20

Not my choice, but Judi Dench as the number-one is fair enough. Kate Winslett is 2nd and Emma Thompson 3rd. 4th-Maggie Smith. 5th-Julie Walters. 6th-Julie Andrews. 7-Helen Mirren. 8-Kathy Burke. 9-Kiera Nightly. 10-Catherine Zeta Jones. 11-Elizabeth Taylor. 12-Vivien Liegh. 13-Helena Bonham Carter. 14-Kate Beckinsale. 15-Miranda Richardson. 16-Jane Horrocks-17-Venessa Redgrave. 18-Rachel Weisz. 19-Brenda Blethyn. 20-Minnie Driver

Here's how my top 20 figured.

1-Olivia De Havilland came in at 32. 2-Audrey Hepburn didn't make the list, parhaps because she only had a British father to help her qualify. 3- Helen Mirren came in at 7. 4-Vivien Leigh came in at 12. 5- Angela Lansbury didn't make the list. 6-Jean Simmons came in at 34. 7-Julie Andrews came in at 6. 8-Greer Garson came in at 40. 9- Virginia McKenna didn't make the list. 10-Julie Walters came in at 5 Judi Dench came in 1st. 11-Rosamund John didn't make the list. 12 Claire Bloom came in at 37. 13-Hayley Mills came in at 31. 14 Diana Rigg came in at 25. 16-Deborah Kerr came in at 27. 17 Susannah York didn't make list. 18 Julie Christie came in at 24. 19 Brenda Blethyn came in at 19. 20-Alison Steamnan came in at 30.
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Channel 4 names 50 top Brit actresses

Post by moira finnie »

I'm glad that you moved up Vivien Leigh, Stuart! I guess some people just don't know about her, huh?

I know that she isn't considered a great cinematic actress by the general public now, but no Celia Johnson? Valerie Hobson? Or even a tip of the hat toward the once potent star power of a Margaret Lockwood or a Jessie Matthews? Not even a nod for Margaret Rutherford (though they probably were concentrating on leading ladies, of course). Oh, the world forgets so much that once entertained our predecessors. Tsk, tsk :roll:
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Miora

Margaret Lockwood scraped into their top 50.

To be fair it's good to see modern actresses doing well as well, or actresses that are really only known in the UK. while I agree that actresses of the so-called classical era are often forgotten, I also think we should allow modern day stars the chance to be thought of in the same light, for example Anna Friel was high up on the list, but as good as Kathy Burke is, I'm not sure of her as a top 10 actress, when the likes of ODH are scored over 30
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I only have to take one look at that list and see Vivien Leigh ranked 12th to know I won't agree with it. I'm presuming this is voted by the public because I'm sure a vote of filmlovers would place her in the top 3. Do I sound crabby? There's so many not mentioned. A positive is that it isn't concentrating on the young and the beautiful but is judging the actresses by the roles that they have played and their talent. It's a pity there's not more of a nod towards the actresses of yesteryear.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
phil noir

Post by phil noir »

This will probably sound undemocratic, but the general public aren't really um.. qualified to vote on the greatest British actresses - unless a discrete time period, e.g.: of the last twenty years, is specified. If so, then this list is fair enough.

I'm surprised that Kathy Burke figured so highly, since it's my understanding that she gave up acting for directing at least six or seven years ago.
moirafinnie wrote:I know that she isn't considered a great cinematic actress by the general public now, but no Celia Johnson? Valerie Hobson? Or even a tip of the hat toward the once potent star power of a Margaret Lockwood or a Jessie Matthews? Not even a nod for Margaret Rutherford (though they probably were concentrating on leading ladies, of course). Oh, the world forgets so much that once entertained our predecessors. Tsk, tsk :roll:
Moira, you've just named four of my favourites from the classic British era (not quite so keen on Margaret Lockwood, but still). I love Valerie Hobson's acting style - she is so minimalist, so restrained.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Confession of ignorance time: I have never heard of Kathy Burke.
me neither.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Hi Kingrat

If you've seen Elizabeth with Cate Balchett then you might recognize Kathy Burke as Bess' older sister Queen 'Bloody' Mary. That's not to be confused with Samantha Morton (who also made list) who played Mary Queen Of Scots in Elizabeth The Golden Age