Dorothy Lamour

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
ken123

Dorothy Lamour

Post by ken123 »

One of the most beautiful woman in films she was often wasted in sarong roles, to me when given the chance she was excellent in a number of dramatic roles. For emaple John Ford's Hurricane, Johnny Apollo with Tyrone Power & Lloyd Nolan, A medal for Benny, a film for some reason thats never shown these days. :?
mongoII

Re: Dorothy Lamour

Post by mongoII »

Dorothy Lamour was indeed a beautiful woman. As a youth I recall watching her in a film titled "Lulu Belle" on the Million Dollar Movie for a full week (I did the same thing with the movie "Caged"). Go figure.
Joseph Goodheart
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

ken123 wrote:One of the most beautiful woman in films she was often wasted in sarong roles, to me when given the chance she was excellent in a number of dramatic roles. For emaple John Ford's Hurricane, Johnny Apollo with Tyrone Power & Lloyd Nolan, A Medal for Benny, a film for some reason thats never shown these days. :?
Johnny Apollo (1940-Henry Hathaway) turns up occasionally on the Fox Movie Channel, Ken. It is also available on DVD thanks to the flurry of releases of Tyrone Power movies that were issued in the last few years. I love the scene early in the film when Power and Lamour are having a quiet conversation while sitting on the steps outside of Charlie Grapewin's law office while they are both waiting for him to show up they banter gently and observe a bird through the window. There is a muted, unforced charm to the scene that makes the pair's attraction to one another believable.

I have often felt that Lamour had some of the same sweet, naturally sexy appeal as Joan Blondell, though Dorothy never quite became the star that Blondell was for several years. A Medal for Benny (1945-Irving Pichel) is a movie that I haven't seen for years either, but the Steinbeck story about the effect of the awarding of a Congressional Medal of Honor on a town and its citizens might be a timely one for today too. I remember it fondly for Lamour's warmth, and the featured spotlight it allowed J. Carroll Naish and Frank McHugh. I suspect that the movie may be one of those Paramount features stuck in archive limbo because the people who control the rights don't understand the quality of their own library of films. Here's a picture from A Medal for Benny for you featuring Grant Mitchell, Arturo de Cordova, Naish and Dorothy:
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Lamour...Lamour...toujours Lamour. She was beautiful, wasn't she? Mongo...I totally remember watching Million Dollar Movie. I think I saw a week of "Holiday" "The Giant Behemoth" the Eddie Cantor & Al Jolson stories. Oh yes...also "The Affairs of Dobie Gillis."

Why oh why is that in my memory banks? Why?
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
ken123

Post by ken123 »

TCM played a number of ROAD films last week, Dorothy was the performer who stood out. :D
princessmoon

Post by princessmoon »

Classic hollywood cannot get more gorgeous than Dorothy Lamour!
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Princess,
Thank you for posting that lovely pics of the indeed gorgeous Dorothy. :D