The Second String

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
mrsl

The Second String

Post by mrsl »

Right off the bat Ben Johnson comes to mind, but I think that was more his choice than the casting directors. Actually my original thoughts centered on:

Ian Hunter
John Carroll
James Craig

These are all good looking guys who should have been main stars, but for some reason always got the parts of the best friend of the hero, or ex husband of the heroine, or cousin, brother, etc. James Craig had the lead a few times but not enough to get him to the heights of a Robert Taylor, yet I think his acting ability and looks are on a par with Taylor. Ian Hunter and John Carroll always seem to get the widow when her husband has been lost or died in battle. Again, I believe they are on a par with other A-line stars.

Can you name any others who you think should have enjoyed larger careers? Actually I'm thinking of romantic leading men more than side-kicks of which there were plenty.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
mongoII

Re: The Second String

Post by mongoII »

Anne, off the top of my head I nominate Alan Curtis.

Joseph Goodheart
ken123

Post by ken123 »

mrsl wrote:.
Right off the bat Ben Johnson comes to mind, but I think that was more his choice than the casting directors. Actually my original thoughts centered on:

Ian Hunter
John Carroll
James Craig

These are all good looking guys who should have been main stars, but for some reason always got the parts of the best friend of the hero, or ex husband of the heroine, or cousin, brother, etc. James Craig had the lead a few times but not enough to get him to the heights of a Robert Taylor, yet I think his acting ability and looks are on a par with Taylor. Ian Hunter and John Carroll always seem to get the widow when her husband has been lost or died in battle. Again, I believe they are on a par with other A-line stars.

Can you name any others who you think should have enjoyed larger careers? Actually I'm thinking of romantic leading men more than side-kicks of which there were plenty.

Nice picks. I still cant conceive Lee Bowman as a leading man. Mongo - Alan Curtis is a good choice also.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Keith Larsen should have had a much bigger career!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Patric Knowles?