LADY BE GOOD

mrsl

LADY BE GOOD

Post by mrsl »

I've seen this one before starring Robert Young and Ann Sothern, with Eleanor Powell, John Carroll, Red Skelton, Lionel Barrymore, Virginia O'Brien, and Dan Dailey. It's about a divorce court decision with Lionel as the judge, and concerning Young and Sothern. Since their friends know they're not happy with the divorce, they work up different schemes to get the couple together again. Red Skelton, and Dan Dailey are two of the friends but they don't really add to the things getting wacky. Eleanor Powell does some hot tap dancing in this, but I hope she eventually changed her routines, because they all look very similar to me. In all, it's a cute movie to waste an hour and a half on. But what I really liked is at the end, they're all walking with arms linked and one starts singing Lady Be Good, then one-by-one the other 5 join in with the singing. To me this was one of the most natural looking musical endings to a musical movie I ever saw. I don't know about you, but more than once, I have been walking with friends and/or family, and one breaks out in song, and the rest join in. We did it in Las Vegas to Singing in the Rain, here in Chicago walking to the car after a 4th of July fireworks singing Yankee Doodle Dandy and just last week, again walking to the car after shopping, we all sang The Gang's all Here, me and my three girls. I always say my family is weird.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
JackFavell

Re: LADY BE GOOD

Post by JackFavell »

I think it's wonderful, mrsl!

When we were kids, we had a rule, "no singing at the table", probably to prevent choking. It took me years to figure out that not everyone had this rule in their household. I've had people burst out laughing when I told them that we did. It never occurred to me that other people's families did not break out into spontaneous song.....
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

The first time it was a shock to me. We had just seen the water display at the Bellaggio in L.V. and were crossing the blvd. on the bridge when my crazy son started singing 'Singin in the RaIn', my daughter in law was mortified, but I joined him and suddenly about 75% of the people were singing with us. I just told her to enjoy it because we would never see any of those people again and who cared what they thought. But then it happened with my girls here in Chicago, and I realized I have a weird family, but it makes for fun.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

weird is good!

I hope your daughter in law enjoyed it, it was a once in a lifetime occurrence and no one will ever experience that moment again. Those people who were there had a great time, and the ones who didn't join in probably went home with a lovely story.... and if your kids or grandkids are happy enough to sing in public, more power to them! Bravo!They bring cheer and happiness wherever they go.